No announcement yet.

First sparring session...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sparring session...

Had my first sparring session today.. I was not expecting it to be as hard as it was haha.

I wasn't expecting anything other than a beating, which I got lol. Just wondered if anyone could offer advice... I'll explain some of the problems I occurred and if anyone has any good beginner solutions, that would be great!!

My coach sparred with me using the boxing gloves/focus pads all in one things (not sure what they are called).. He'd throw a flurry of shots at me to see how I reacted.. I got hit ALOT! I'm my own worst critic and always look back in retrospect like I could of done better but I just couldn't think fast enough under the pressure..

My body seemed to be well covered but my head gear is open faced and the first jab I took straight in the nose and ended up getting bashed around a bit for most of the round.

So my problems...

1) I found myself trying to parry the jab a lot and almost going blank with his right hand (we were both orthodox).. I'd then try slip punches and just make a right tit of things! Should I just be keeping a high guard and just absorbing and rolling with the shots instead of trying to be too technical too soon??

2) Every time he'd come forward and start hitting me, I'd cover up and take my eye off him, just look down and have my gloves up guarding.. I was consciously aware I was doing this so did start to change as the round went on.. But still, pretty ****ing stupid really but couldn't help it.

3) Getting backed up into the corner and struggling to move out without getting hit. I side stepped out to the left and got hit pretty hard.

4) I know what I should do in my head as a beginner but when it came to sparring everything went out the window!

I wasn't throwing punches at all until he told me to (just at the gloves), I really want to work well defensively so I've specifically asked to spar like that for the first few times, is this a good idea?

I'm just wanting to know that this sort of **** is normal or should I stick to playing draughts instead?

Any tips for staying alive and progressing would be brilliant!

Other than that I loved it! Makes you realise just what it takes to be a boxer and how tough these dudes really are. I've just gone 29 and would like to have an amateur fight to experience it.. Even just as a journeyman.. Win or lose, I do this because I enjoy it.

Cheers guys. Posted this on Sherdog which is what I usually use but thought I'd ask here also

That wasn't sparring, that was working the pads.
    And not working the pads properly if he was full on hitting you. Sounds a bit suspicious if was hitting properly and not just tapping the pads off you (enough to feel but not to hurt).

Theirs loaaadssss of posts on here already about first time sparers, have a look through.

It all comes with experience and confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
      That wasn't sparring, that was working the pads.
      And not working the pads properly if he was full on hitting you. Sounds a bit suspicious if was hitting properly and not just tapping the pads off you (enough to feel but not to hurt).

Theirs loaaadssss of posts on here already about first time sparers, have a look through.

It all comes with experience and confidence.
      I was about to post something similar, took the words right out of my mouth.

Comment

Yea sounds like your trainer is a bit of a tit. Nice way to wreck a novice fighters confidence before he even has any.

Comment

Originally posted by White Willie View Post
          Yea sounds like your trainer is a bit of a tit. Nice way to wreck a novice fighters confidence before he even has any.
          He needs to do a Dorticos on him, and land the KO punch on the trainer.

Comment

Working...
          X