"Jeff Lacy was a bum"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
    Jeff Lacy is underrated. Only Calzaghe haters call him a bum
    How exactly is he underrated? We're talking about a guy that made a shot Roy Jones look near prime. underrated? you're funny

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      How exactly is he underrated? We're talking about a guy that made a shot Roy Jones look near prime. underrated? you're funny
      Roy wasn't that past it when he faced Lacy..... that Roy Jones is underrated aswell

inb4 TKO 1 Danny Green 'The Legend Killer'

Comment

[QUOTE=Earl Hickey;13025732]Or was he?

Lacy was a good young fighter, powerful, athletic, and unbeaten when he faced Calzaghe.

He hadn't faced great opposition, but he had handled several decent fighters with astonishing ease, so impressed was Boxingscene.com that it had 95% of it's staff predict Lacy to knock Calzaghe out, the general line was "Calzaghe is a good fighter, but Lacy is on another level, he's the real deal"

QUOTE]

He hardly handled them with ease. I remember him getting into a few wars with average fighters like sheika and vanderpool

Comment

Roy wasn't that past it when he faced Lacy..... that Roy Jones is underrated aswell

inb4 TKO 1 Danny Green 'The Legend Killer'
          Man Roy was done by that time. It just so happens that Lacy was also done, having been ruined by Calzaghe and coming from that shoulder surgery.

Ah Danny Green!! You know he's a legend right?

Comment

Lacy could still be fighting now if it wasn't for his corner. They should have stopped the fights against Calzaghe and Jones. Instead they were to brave for Lacy's own good and he took 2 of the most one sided beat downs you will ever see.

Nobody can doubt Lacy's heart.

Comment

I wouldn't call him a bum. Lacy just had very limited skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
                I only seen like 3 of his fights but he got beat by a shot to **** Roy Jones so he can't have been that good.
                Although he was never that good (I had fun reading NSB at the time, and how beating Shot Pemberton made him "P4P top ten"... see my sig for more hilarity) I don't understand why people can't grasp he wasn't the same post-Slapsie. Boxing is a mental game, and he was mentally destroyed that night.

Comment

Calzaghe was the underrated one in this fight.

Comment

Jeff Lacy is underrated. Only Calzaghe haters call him a bum
                    Really? Name Lacy's best wins.

Comment

I think it is a classic combination of both scenarios. Calzaghe was a lot better than most boxing fans had believed at the time and Jeff Lacy was not quite as good as many boxing fans had originally believed as well. He was rushed to soon and needed more time to develop into becoming a more rounded fighter.

In addition, I can see similarities with his career and Fernando Vargas' career. Like Lacy he was also rushed too soon by being matched with the much more experienced Felix Trinidad; A very hard puncher. Which would subsequently proved to be too costly and ruined his boxing career in the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X