Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur Chief wants to run PRO boxing with the APB!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is nothing wrong with this. They are trying to make a career out of the sport they practice. Compare to what we have, with no guarantee in salary and benefits, it is a good move for some boxers. Eventually making big money and becoming stars around the world will lure them into signing with other promotional companies if they are successful. I see it like a farm system, similar to baseball. Not everyone make it to the major, but plenty of them make a living in triple A.

Comment

Originally posted by jtcs1981 View Post
      There is nothing wrong with this. They are trying to make a career out of the sport they practice. Compare to what we have, with no guarantee in salary and benefits, it is a good move for some boxers. Eventually making big money and becoming stars around the world will lure them into signing with other promotional companies if they are successful. I see it like a farm system, similar to baseball. Not everyone make it to the major, but plenty of them make a living in triple A.
      Yea but who watches minor league baseball? Not to mention look at the duration of these contracts. In minor league baseball u can take a contract with a pro team whenever u want to. Not with this AIBA league.
      Last edited by Kagami Taiga; 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        Yea but who watches minor league baseball? Not to mention look at the duration of these contracts. In minor league baseball u can take a contract with a pro team whenever u want to. Not with this AIBA league.
        Who knows in America, but at least from reading some articles they are working to get TV deals in other countries.

And just imagine if Promotional Companies can come and take whatever they want, the ABP will fold, that's why those contracts, the majority of them will be for 3 years.

Just imagine Lomachenko in those 3 years, he will fight the best in the amateur world in a Pro setting, instead of fighting a couple of no hopers in his first year with another Promotional company. He could try to fight in Rio, and after that leave the ABP and go straight for a Title shot.

Comment

Anyone else noticing the amount of different leagues popping up trying to merge amateur and pro boxing?

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post
            Who knows in America, but at least from reading some articles they are working to get TV deals in other countries.

And just imagine if Promotional Companies can come and take whatever they want, the ABP will fold, that's why those contracts, the majority of them will be for 3 years.

Just imagine Lomachenko in those 3 years, he will fight the best in the amateur world in a Pro setting, instead of fighting a couple of no hopers in his first year with another Promotional company. He could try to fight in Rio, and after that leave the ABP and go straight for a Title shot.
            I don't think u realize how different the pros is from the ams. those no hopers hed be fighting would be getting him legit experience and they would be exposing him to what it truly means to be a pro. fighting other semi pros will not get him that experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ksan View Post
              In countries which received TV only a decade ago...

I can only see a few Eastern European countries working with the AIBA.

Comment

If you aint good, you aint good. I know a brawler with no good am background will test the young prospect. Look at Beranza, he has been exposing prospects with his toughness. However, the league is assuring that these no hopers with great am background can make a living. Also, this new league can contract a lot of those tough "cab drivers" who will develop those tough skill they need. For the future stars of the sport, I dont see a problem. I see the opportunity for some guys to make a living out of the sport.

Comment

Some of these guys are never going to be top pros, and will never earn huge amounts of money, so they maybe are making the right decision by taking this offer.

Pro boxing has absolutely no guarantees, sometimes you just get injured and nobody is going to pay you a regular salary and you're going to have to work at something else other than boxing on the meantime. This "league" could help some guys to earn a regular salary even while injured or even if they're not the best boxers out there.

Comment

Like I said in the lomechenko thread, blame these fighters who are scared to turn pro. If this is the route they choose to go then they simply don't think they have wat it takes to be a real pro.
                    Exactly. If these guys arent prepared to gamble now and believe in themselves, then what more do we need and want to see.

Comment

Maybe Tyson Fury should join up since he's disillusioned with the current system.

Comment

Working...
                      X