Mendez Boxing Gym, NYC Advice

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mendez Boxing Gym, NYC Advice

Hello all,

I have been doing muay thai for about two years. I decided I wanted to switch it up and go to a boxing gym to sharpen my hands. I am a little dissapointed with the instruction so far, and I was hoping some boxing vets could comment on whether or not this type of instruction is standard or sub-par

The workout usually consists of...

3 rounds skipping
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds on the mitts
    4 rounds on the heavy bag
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds of conditioning

I actually like the format of the workout, but I take issue with the amount of attention I get from the training. The only time the trainer works with me is during the mitts round. So, am i paying 185 bucks a month for two measly rounds with a trainer?

I had heard such wonderful things about Mendez, but I am thinking about trying out Kingsway, and hopefully receving more personal attention.

Thanks.

Originally posted by thaigae View Post
    Hello all,

I have been doing muay thai for about two years. I decided I wanted to switch it up and go to a boxing gym to sharpen my hands. I am a little dissapointed with the instruction so far, and I was hoping some boxing vets could comment on whether or not this type of instruction is standard or sub-par

The workout usually consists of...

3 rounds skipping
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds on the mitts
    4 rounds on the heavy bag
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds of conditioning

I actually like the format of the workout, but I take issue with the amount of attention I get from the training. The only time the trainer works with me is during the mitts round. So, am i paying 185 bucks a month for two measly rounds with a trainer?
    I had heard such wonderful things about Mendez, but I am thinking about trying out Kingsway, and hopefully receving more personal attention.

Thanks.
    Wow, that's a lot of money for one month. Yea, I would definitely try Kingsway if I was you.

Comment

damn that is alot of damn money

i pay 35 at mines monthly

Comment

That's Manhattan prices for you...

Go to fight house on 27th between 7th and 6th, its on the 2nd floor and ask for Simon, tell him Andy sent you. He will take care of you. He knows his **** and puts a lot of energy into training his clients.

Mendez has good trainers, but they have some bad ones too. Kingsway is the same deal, I trained at both places.

If you don't know who the good trainers are you could get stuck with a bad one.

Comment

That's too much. You should get more personal attention than just 2 rounds of mitts for what your spending.

Comment

185? thats **** man. i pay 30 euro in my club in austria and i get much personal attention.

Comment

Originally posted by rskumm21 View Post
              That's too much. You should get more personal attention than just 2 rounds of mitts for what your spending.
              you mean like 4 hours of intense training each day, at least. thats what he should get for that kind of money, amiright?
              Last edited by Bullrush; 03-06-2010, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
                you mean like 4 hours of intense training each day, at least. thats what he should get for that kind of money, amiright?
                Hey man, it's more like 25 hours. BTW, give the kid a break, maybee he "doesn't want to afford it".

Comment

I've also trained at both gyms, who is your trainer at Mendez? I do like Kingsway better. If money is the main problem you should train over at Johns gym in the bx. Clottey's old gym. They have great trainers and very affordable rates. Only thing is you have commute to the bx.

Comment

Working...
                  X