Should I do it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do it?

Hi all,

I would like to get some opinions from our older guy's here.

I am 32 I have been boxing since Feb last year, I train pretty hard 4 days a week 2 days sparring. I have come from having no coordination to being able to help and spar with any of the guy's at the gym. My fitness is better than most at the gym and I have good endurance. I am still not super quick and I still need to work allot on attack. My defense is pretty good. I get used as a workhorse at the gym due to many of these facts. When I started boxing I did it for the Fitness I never intended to get in the ring. However Allot of guy's at the gym have been asking me lately if I am going to have an Amateur Fight. I have never really considered it but from time to time I have thought It would be a good experience and thought it would be good to know what its like to pass the info onto new guy's in the gym.
    The only thing concerning me is my age, I know 32 isn't old but it's way up there in terms of Am boxing. We don't have masters boxing in Australia so my window is closing. I would like to work towards it for next year.

What do you guy's think?
    Some advice from older guy's who have done it would be great.
    Thanks

DMC

Do it. You seem pretty skilled enough and you've been boxing for about a year so you should be fine. Also, if you don't then you might regret it later.

Comment

do it!!!!!

Comment

Well I dont quite fit the age requirement (21) but I'd say do it! I have been boxing roughly for six months and I am so glad I started. I wanted to just get into better shape. Instead of just going to the gym and lifting weights I wanted more of a challenge so I looked towards boxing. Now, I am training to eventually do some amateur fighting. I basically decided the day I climbed into the ring and went up against a guy in the gym who was well out of my weight class, way more skilled than me, 6-0 as an amateur and had just turned pro. I got the crap beat out of me but I was never knocked down and continued to press the attack. I figured if I could take it from this guy with all the odds against me I should be able to size up with guys in my weight class pretty well. You got one life to live so my advice is do it before you look back and have regrets for not doing it. Good luck!

Comment

Absolutely give it a shot.

I'm 35 and the few regrets I have in my life aren't the things I failed at, it's the things I never tried.

Comment

win or lose you'll be able to say to your kids you were an ameteur boxer at some point in your life.

Comment

Thanks for the guy's who have offered advice.

I am going to make it my goal and see what happens.
              If anyone else has anymore advice or stories I would like to hear them.

DMC

Comment

well i played basketball my whole life, but always wonderd if i would be any good at boxing. i grew up watching it with my grandfather and my family. and i knew id regret it if i never attempted it. so after i quit playing competitive basketball i started to box. im younger then you only being 21, but i knew i had to atleast try it. and i have my first fight on april 4th.
                Last edited by West24; 03-05-2008, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Good luck West24, Let me know how you go.

DMC

Comment

Thanks alot!

Comment

Working...
                    X