No announcement yet.

Howard Eastman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Eastman

I remember seeing Eastman on tv a few years back, but it was before i really got into boxing. I just looked at his Boxer rec and noticed he fought Hopkins, which i didnt know.
    Could anyone tell me how good Eastman was , what kind of a fighter he was ect.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Chrismart; 02-05-2008, 10:05 AM.

Im not sure your question makes sense mate,

Eastman was unbeatable in europe for years and was very unlucky when he fought william joppy for the world title. The fight was on the lewis rahman undercard and although joppy probably landed the higher volume of punches Eastman definately landed the more convincing shots

When he fought hopkins he was never in the fight, i dont know what the scores were but i cant remember him winning a round. I think he was probably on the decline before that fight tho and if it had taken place a couple of years earlier he would have probably given a better show

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
      Im not sure your question makes sense mate,

Eastman was unbeatable in europe for years and was very unlucky when he fought william joppy for the world title. The fight was on the lewis rahman undercard and although joppy probably landed the higher volume of punches Eastman definately landed the more convincing shots

When he fought hopkins he was never in the fight, i dont know what the scores were but i cant remember him winning a round. I think he was probably on the decline before that fight tho and if it had taken place a couple of years earlier he would have probably given a better show
      Just edited my post mate, your right it didnt make sense..i must of been drunk when i typed that ha ha.
      Cheers for the reply mate. As i said, id only ever seen Eastman fight before i became a boxing fan, but i remeber hearing he was a good fighter.
      Its a pity him and Hopkins didnt fight a few years earlier, as it sounds like it could have been a closer fight.

Comment

Great fighter was robbed v Joppy Jay Nady was reff need i say more, Joppy butted Eastman, Eastman held so in 1minute of the first round Nady gave him his final warning.

Comment

Prospect Andy Lee has tentatively scheduled a bout with Eastman later this year...

Comment

eastman is finished he is crap now

Comment

Eastman was alright, good, but nothing special. You should make sure you watch the Hopkins fight, it was one of the worst fights i've ever seen. Bernard just ran around the ring and never tried to hurt him, it was a pathetic display, the crowd were booing him.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Eastman was a mandatory fight for Hopkins.

2005-02-19 : Bernard Hopkins beat Howard Eastman by UD in round 12 of 12
                Referee: Raul Caiz Jr
                Judge: Lou Filippo 119-110
                Judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 117-111
                Judge: Ken Morita 116-112

(ESPN unofficial scorecard had it 117-111)

- With the victory, Hopkins ties Larry Holmes's mark of 20 straight title defenses.
                - Howard Eastman was ranked #1 WBC Middleweight contender.

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.ph...e=Fight:866362

HBO round-by-round breakdown:
                HOPKINS-EASTMAN: ROUND BY ROUND ANALYSIS

February 19, 2005 - by Anne Vitello

ROUND 1
                It's a calculated start, for both fighters. A jab here and there, and lots of circling with both men employing lateral movement. At one minute into the action Bernard loosens up with a jab, stepping in and making contact with the right hand follow-up. Aside from another harmless skirmish a minute later, it's a fairly uneventful round. Ref is strict about cleanly breaking up any possible clinch. By the closing moments Eastman has his jab going as well.

ROUND 2
                Though Hopkins starts measuring with his jab again, Eastman lands first with a combination - reaching in with a long hook. In the next exchange, Bernard lands a clean short right counter. Eastman is showing more aggression. But many punches are falling short, glancing off. Now Hopkins steps in and swings for the fences, missing with 2 big ones - a left and a right. Then he plays keep-away, making Eastman miss and employing his footwork. Not crowd-pleasing, but effective in frustrating Howard. Eastman, however, looks composed and determined.

ROUND 3
                Now the action warms up a bit. Both men step in then when disentangled, Hopkins tries to set up another big bomb - which once again misses the mark. Eastman seems to be tentative for a moment, when he hesitates within Bernard's reach Hopkins catches him with a lead-off left hook. Eastman does step in and lead the action on occasion. He seems to lose ground in the phone booth action (not always receiving perfectly legal punches). Hopkins' experience shows: It's second nature for him to slip in the low blows on the opposite side of wherever the ref is.

ROUND 4
                Now Howard Eastman shifts into higher gear, stepping in behind multiple jabs. Hopkins lands the right that he has been setting up. Moments later, he lands flush with a sharp left hook. Eastman wants to rise to the occasion; he answers punches, he comes after Bernard. But he also follows Hopkins rather than cutting off the ring. Circling and evading, Bernard grins as the crowd boos. A slight head butt on the last exchange; no harm done. Bernard looks comfortable as he breezes around the ring. Eastman, frustrated, is game and aggressive. In the closing moments Hopkins lands the left hook again.

ROUND 5
                Howard Eastman is looking for a fight. He comes after Hopkins, and eats some leather on the way in. But he gives at least as good as he gets. With mostly single punches exchanged, the fighters get separated by the ref every time they come close. And there it is! Bombs away! In a mutual exchange of left hooks, both men land powerful blows, and both jump in to "finish the job". Both, however, recover and wind down. Now Hopkins lands 2 more stunning left hooks, and Eastman keeps coming.

ROUND 6
                Regrouping, both men resume the circling and long jabs. But when Hopkins holds back, Eastman can be relied on to come in. When he does so, Bernard capitalizes with the countering left hook. Whenever they come close, it gets messy. Eastman is losing ground. At the half-way point, Bernard is fully warmed up, finding the mark regularly with his one-two combo and single counterpunches. He seems to be taking control of the fight. Still aggressive, Eastman nevertheless is looking a bit overwhelmed.

ROUND 7
                Eastman knows he has to push the action, and he is learning that when he dares to do so, he risks being on the losing end of the exchanges. Now Hopkins' punches seem to be doing some damage. The big right lands and Eastman absorbs it. Howard Eastman keeps coming, working the jab on his way in. But now he's looking wilted. It's a less busy round, more like the early ones. No stand-out punches; Hopkins seems to have a clear plan to do enough to take the round and leave it at that.

ROUND 8
                The boxers meet and hold. On the second exchange, however, they stand apart and trade punches, landing mutually - somewhat glancing blows. But in the next moment Hopkins lands a powerful left. Eastman gets some satisfaction: landing 2 successive left hooks, then an extremely respectable right hand! Hopkins is making faces as if to say he is unharmed, but those were some big punches for Eastman. Hopkins adds some punctuation of his own, landing a jab. The action had really picked up: Hopkins has momentum and can't stop himself even as the bell rings, flurrying through the end of the round.

ROUND 9
                Here comes Eastman, and Bernard is countering with pleasure. Eastman chases him down and walks into 2 left hooks, on 2 successive occasions! Howard Eastman is coming in behind a sort of half-hearted jab, looking to land a big punch. But Hopkins is beating him on the exchanges, and tying him up when in doubt. Eastman does land, but his punches seem to be diminished, Hopkins forces awkward angles. Oh, there is a crashing right hand from Hopkins! Howard Eastman is not afraid to give and take, and he responds in kind. But Bernard gets the last word with a left hook in the final seconds.

ROUND 10
                An audible pop is heard when Bernard catches Eastman with a left hook on the way in. Howard Eastman has not found a way to penetrate and make any headway. He certainly has no lack of heart or courage, and he does not appear hurt. But his occasional successful punches - there's a terrific uppercut for example - generally fall short of the payback he receives from The Executioner. He has not used his reach to his advantage. And though he keeps on coming, he keeps on coming up short. Bernard again ends the round with a clean-landing left.

ROUND 11
                Again and again Eastman falls prey to Hopkins' counterpunching. Bernard is a master at dropping in those blows and thwarting Eastman's efforts to even it up. Hopkins is timing him, now starting to play around using southpaw stance. The fight is looking every bit like a unanimous decision in the making. Eastman comes in behind a jab that no longer lands very often, seeking a right power shot that doesn't find the mark. His left follow-up does, however. Hopkins is not impressed.

ROUND 12
                Whatever Eastman has left, he looks ready to pour it on. He repeatedly flings himself on Bernard, who doesn't hesitate to hold him if it's convenient. Then Hopkins resumes his dance, luring Eastman in and pasting him over & over with a left hook that has grown sharper all night. Eastman is looking a bit punched out. Still coming straight forward, however, he must be given credit for a best effort. He just couldn't come up with it tonight. Bernard ends the bout dancing.

POST-FIGHT COMMENTS:
                Looking relaxed, draped in belts and flashing his trademark grin, Hopkins was amiable in his post-fight interview. He gave due respect to Howard Eastman - defeated only twice and both times in the US. Bernard credited mostly the Englishman's chin: "He takes a hell of a shot! I give him a B-minus." For his part, Hopkins was unapologetic for any perceived shortcomings in the bout. He accurately pointed out that he was willing to skirmish when necessary, but that otherwise he felt justified in eking out yet another in a long line of victories using his own, inimitable if not exactly flashy, boxing style.

Comment

He's about as good as Clinton Woods but he's a Middleweight. He's a good fighter but not a special fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by _Ricky_ View Post
                    He's about as good as Clinton Woods but he's a Middleweight. He's a good fighter but not a special fighter.
                    I agree status wise, but i really feel clinton has the ability and ambition to achieve more than eastman.

Comment

Working...
                    X