Collapse
No announcement yet.

UFC heavyweight pioneer Mark Coleman recovering in hospital after heart attack

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UFC heavyweight pioneer Mark Coleman recovering in hospital after heart attack

UFC heavyweight legend Mark Coleman had a positive message for his fans following the news that he had been hospitalized after suffering a heart attack.

The news was reported by MMA documentarian Will Harris, who shared an Instagram story from Coleman’s daughter Morgan in which she posted an image of herself with Coleman giving a thumbs up from a hospital bed.

“Thank you for all the kind words and support,” Morgan wrote. “[Coleman] is recovering well from his heart attack but still has more test to be done.”

Coleman later issued a statement of his own detailing the heart attack as he prepares for a procedure on Monday to put a stent in one of his arteries that caused the blockage.

“I hadn’t been feeling so well for quite some time something hit pretty hard Tuesday about 7:00 pm, chest locked up my arms went numb sounds pretty obvious but I didn’t want to believe,” Coleman wrote on Instagram. “I walked around and laid down for about 6 hours it didn’t get better.

“I texted my daughters I didn’t want to go, wasn’t fair to them so I grabbed my keys made it to the hospital for sure there was nothing wrong but yes there was complete blockage of a major artery. If I don’t go I’m probably not here today. I’m so glad I went I have so many things I want to do . Tomorrow they will try to break through the artery and put a stent in. For the first time in a long time I am motivated, I am [grateful] and appreciate all your support. It wasn’t my time. It’s time to live.”

Coleman, 55, was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2008 (he was also part of a 2016 induction celebrating Pete Williams’ upset win over him at UFC 17). He was the first-ever UFC heavyweight champion, defeating Dan Severn at UFC 12 to earn the title. Following his initial run with the UFC, Coleman went on to have success in Japan’s PRIDE organization before closing out his career with three more fights in the octagon.

Over the course of his 14-year MMA career, Coleman stood across a number of all-time greats, including Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Mirko Cro Cop, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Holy Shit I hope he recovers, I remember years back watching his highlights and interviews and not to mention recently a UFC program on what him and other former retired champions are up to these days...He seemed content and in good spirits I hope he recovers soon...

Comment

Hes not looked well for a while tbh. He had some pretty serious health issues a few years back as well didnt he? cant remember exactly what it was now.

Hope he fully recovers anyway. The guy was a monster in his prime.

Comment

He seemed like a prime candidate to be honest of you watched his MMA career, always seemed very intense/high strung. Dude was a badass in the ring and octagon. Glad he seems more content in retirement. Oddly enough, his endurance didn't seem to improve until his last few fights. Also glad he's recovering. The Hammer is one of my all-time favorites.

Comment

Comment

Glad he's recovering.

Coleman is one of my all time favorites.

Comment

You can find some very good interviews of him on Hannibal TV's YouTube channel.

I met Mark Coleman and Wes Sims. Coleman was down to earth, while Sims was a complete goofball.

Good luck to Mark, I know he had some health issues the last several years.

Comment

Working...
              X