Roy Jones Jr. vs Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    TonyGe:

I read about five pieces on Marciano which are easy to google...But honestly? The piece I linked to you is just so much more comprehensive, exhaustive and objective. It is mentioned in others that he was asked to throw that fight, I just find it hard to believe because of the pride in the mob at that time. It is possible though.

Quite a character huh? lol. I agree with a few posters here that the concept of will and human fraility, vis a vis determination made Marciano one in many generations... Not by any stretch the greatest fighter but what willpower and strength of purpose!
    I knew that he had extramarital affairs but not to that extent. Probably to build up his stamina. LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
      they might be the same height, both 5'10 1/2", but marciano is way bigger than jones, lol jones had to take supplements to bulk up where marciano trained for 8 hours a day to cut weight and build up his endurance. marciano was really a 210 lb man who got down to 187 lbs to fight. jones doesn't really have the power to hurt marciano, where rocky only has to land the right once in a 15 round fight. unless jones squirts something into rocky's eyes during the fight i don't see how he can win, he may even win most of the rounds but he won't win the fight
      exactly, rocky spent his career building his endurance and running up to 12 miles a day in hill country, he knew he wasn't fast but he wanted better conditioning than anyone.

Jones was bulking up his entire career, doing weights even at 160. People always get this **** confused but rocky is going to take a better shot and throw a better shot.

Rocky blew up to 255 lbs after boxing, because his body could easily do that, and he still didn't look obese, he looked like a "husky" man.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        exactly, rocky spent his career building his endurance and running up to 12 miles a day in hill country, he knew he wasn't fast but he wanted better conditioning than anyone.

Jones was bulking up his entire career, doing weights even at 160. People always get this **** confused but rocky is going to take a better shot and throw a better shot.

Rocky blew up to 255 lbs after boxing, because his body could easily do that, and he still didn't look obese, he looked like a "husky" man.
        The bolded speaks volumes. So we can conclude that Marciano could have fought at a few more pounds at least if he so desired. When he fought Louis Louis was about 220 something as well, if memory serves correct. Its a hard concept for people to get but a heavyweight in the best fighting shape for the ring may come in light compared to how fighters come in today.

Comment

- -Old school trainers used to dry out heavywts like a fighter making weight.

Full hydration was thought to cause cramps back then. There is no doubt Rocky would fighter near a Joe Frazier weight, say 200 to 215.

Even as late as prime Foreman he talks of being withheld water the day of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Full hydration was thought to cause cramps back then. There is no doubt Rocky would fighter near a Joe Frazier weight, say 200 to 215.

Even as late as prime Foreman he talks of being withheld water the day of the fight.
            Nice post. I wonder what affect that had on his stamina. I always thought it was funny that he was smaller than Ali in their match, and generally a lighter fighter than Tyson. Different strategies obviously... something I think Cuz D'Amato discovered w/ Patterson.

Comment

- -Foreman was never lighter than Ali. He's clearly got more height and muscle, and same deal with Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

Queeny you are proof even a broken clock is right twice a day. They did believe that... I remember looking at the handball players as a kid, going to the fountain and spitting out the water.

Comment

Working...
                X