No announcement yet.

do anyone in this borad lift weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do anyone in this borad lift weight?

im curious on how many AM'S boxers lift weights. cause something tells me not alot of people lift in am's espically in the lower weight classes -_-

p.s im pro-weights

Well I'm 15 and fight at 50 or 52kg (110lbs 114lbs) so I just do bodyweight stuff for now, but I will probably start some sort of weights program in the near future.

Comment

No I don't. I don't mind getting punched in the face, I don't mind physical exhaustion but I ****ing hate weights. I mean I do a small amount here and there, it's more "fitness weight lifting" rather than weight lifting. You know, I have a few .kg and do a bit on my triceps and pecs etc. Other than that I just stick with a lot bodyweight.

Lifting weights was always a no-no in boxing until about the 1980s. The problem with weights is lifting them incorrectly can shorten the muscles and "lock up the body", or for a boxer, slow him down. Weight lifting routines are sometimes included for boxers but they have to be done correctly for a boxer as we need to maintain fast and slow twitch fibres. That's all I know, don't know the correct technique or any of that as like I said, I don't do them. At a GUESS maybe boxers who lift them take the slow agonising path of high reps at a comfortable weight, only going up as the previous weight becomes too easy, then moving up a little bit more so you're comfortable and so on, essentially not trying to jump massive gaps in .Kg each time. Only a guess though.

Comment

No. All of my strength and endurance exercises for boxing are calisthenic-based.

Comment

I love that movie Borad. VARY NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by RightHooker View Post
            I love that movie Borad. VARY NICE!
            you read my mind lol

Comment

Yes I do. In fact lifting weights for me is an addiction. I just pulled 405 yesterday which is a new PR for me.

I love lifting.

It's sad that people think lifting weights automatically makes you slow and bulky. It's one of the most ridiculous things ever.

Comment

Yes I lift, and do body weight workouts. It won't slow you down, unless you mix it in with your current routine incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCoe View Post
                  No I don't. I don't mind getting punched in the face, I don't mind physical exhaustion but I ****ing hate weights. I mean I do a small amount here and there, it's more "fitness weight lifting" rather than weight lifting. You know, I have a few .kg and do a bit on my triceps and pecs etc. Other than that I just stick with a lot bodyweight.

Lifting weights was always a no-no in boxing until about the 1980s. The problem with weights is lifting them incorrectly can shorten the muscles and "lock up the body", or for a boxer, slow him down. Weight lifting routines are sometimes included for boxers but they have to be done correctly for a boxer as we need to maintain fast and slow twitch fibres. That's all I know, don't know the correct technique or any of that as like I said, I don't do them. At a GUESS maybe boxers who lift them take the slow agonising path of high reps at a comfortable weight, only going up as the previous weight becomes too easy, then moving up a little bit more so you're comfortable and so on, essentially not trying to jump massive gaps in .Kg each time. Only a guess though.
                  Most boxers do low weight high reps due to being misinformed. Heavy weight and low reps give you strength, power, explosiveness, etc. How would lifting shorten muscles, it doesn't and that sounds ******ed. I'm pretty sure even a hardcore BODYbuilder (one who trains for mass as opposed to a POWERlifter) like Ronnie Coleman can extend his arms as well as he always could which wouldn't be the case if lifting shortened the muscles. It can only supplement your abilities if you're training for power.

Comment

"Shorten muscles" is an expression, it doesn't literally shorten the muscles as that wouldnt make sense. It basically means they're trained in a particular fashion which inhibits agile ability. Taking for example two pretty beefed up people I know. One trains like crazy, but alongside being about 200lbs of muscle he's physically fit and agile too. Another guy I know who used to come to boxing doesn't walk right, he walks like there's a stick up his ass and his arms are bolted down. The latter built with the prime intention of size and specific weight lifting power. The other I tend to see cycling around, running etc. I don't know his specific routine, but I imagine it's an all-encompassing one.

"It can only supplement your abilities if you're training for power."

Boxers don't only train for power though. A boxer has to remain fast, sleek and highly mobile. I don't know about your gym or anybody elses but at mine the Heavyweights are hard to come by, there's only a few and that's because a heavyweight boxer is a rare commodity whereby he is naturally inclined to a very strong bulky body. That's not to say they don't train and their muscle mass to some extent isnt a result of that but boxing is about natural weight, what your body is optimum at. I never said you can't do weights and box, I said if you do weights you have to do them properly in order to prevent it from 'locking you up'. That's all. Always been taught that, will always maintain it.
                    Last edited by JayCoe; 09-24-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X