No announcement yet.

Fallout 3.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Body Movin' View Post
    very good game. i liked the post-apocalyptic setting and story over skyrim's. the graphics look deplorable though, even for it's time. everything is a shade of puke green and low res, it's awful. the copy and paste subway system was also one of my biggest gripes about it. i still have it somewhere.
    I actually preferred Skyrim's setting. It was more varied and it seemed more populated with different locations etc. I do enjoy the Nuke-Wasteland setting though as it's different from anything I ever played.

I didn't think the graphics were too awful, as long as they don't make the game unplayable then I generally don't mind, particularly for an RPG. I agree though the subway's suck and are boring. At the beginning when I didn't know my way around the map very well I would follow the pointer and it would take me through a never-ending maze of boring undergrounds.

Originally posted by Col. Hans Landa View Post
    Knights of the old republic was the best RPG I've ever played
    Best game I ever played.

Originally posted by Debopam Roy View Post
    Wha...?! Elder Scrolls Overrated?! Hell No!

Which brings me to a question I'd like to make...

I was thinking of getting something along the lines of the Mass Effect series, I've enlisted three games, eh...Fallout, BioShock and Crysis. Which one would you suggest?

The fact is, I really wanted to play Mass Effect, I got the first part, installed it and all, but i came up with a 'General Protection Error' or some **** like that. I spent quite a few hours trying to find a fix, but to no avail. So, I'm pissed and want to find a replacement for the game.
    I thought the main story in both Oblivion and Skyrim was atrocious. I also felt the mini-quests lacked substance and the game was generally boring and un-interesting. Not to mention I never really connected with ANY of the characters in any of the games excluding Ulfric Stormcloak who I thought was real cool.

In Fallout 3 I genuinely care about some of the characters and making decisions is something I genuinely put thought into. I find myself loving and hating various characters and I have become much more immersed in the game than I did in TES.

I can't help you there, I've never played Bioshock and I started mass effect but I didn't like it too much. I think because it was made by Bioware I was expecting a game like KOTOR and Mass Effect just isn't anywhere near it.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    Fallout 2 is infinitely better than 3. But It's in no way a better game than the elder scroll series. In fact I always thought that the engine both games used was better as a fantasy engine than a shooter engine. It's a very slow shooter and I don't like the aim system or how slow the character moves. You have enemies that are too fast to track as a shooter, imo.

Edit: For whatever reason I was confusing Fallout 3 with New Vegas, yes 3 is the best of the series.
    I actually really enjoy the combat in Fallout. I love how the weapons are quite inaccurate so having a shootout is somewhat based on luck like in real life. I generally don't play it like a true shooter and think about what I'm doing, trying to pick off enemies one by one from range rather than rushing. Also the targeting thing is absolutely fantastic fun.

In Skyrim I thought the combat was lame. Melee was simply mashing the R trigger. Ranged was literally impossible from distance if an enemy was running so you actually either had to ambush them using sneak(which was fun) or go down and face them shooting while running backwards.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    It re-amazes me every time I play it. I always manage to forget how great it is, go back after awhile, and love it almost as much as the first time I played it. And it is better than Elder Scrolls.

You should play Fallout: New Vegas too. The setting isn't as cool, but the missions are better.
    Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
    If you want to play a Fallout game play New Vegas. If you want to play a post-apocalypse game then play Fallout 3.
    I'll buy New Vegas for sure once I'm done with this.

Comment

SPOILERS.

Also on another note, How fk'd up was Tranquility Lane? One of the craziest missions I ever played, it'll be with me for life.

There was one in Skyrim actually, where you go into that crazy dudes head and meet Sheogorath and each of his troubles is represented by a mini-scenario that you must sort out. Great fun but Tranquility Lane was wayyyyyyyyyy more hilariously creepy and I was genuinely confused and angry that I had to do the ***** I had to do. I only made the kid cry and broke up the marriage before I thought that was enough. I decided I couldn't kill anyone so went into the abandoned house intent on activating the failsafe. That was actually surprisingly easy because it was just trial and error as if you got a bit in the sequence wrong after the note was played it went "ert" or something. I don't know if there was another way to work it out but that's how I done it.
      Last edited by Barn; 03-17-2013, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
        I actually preferred Skyrim's setting. It was more varied and it seemed more populated with different locations etc. I do enjoy the Nuke-Wasteland setting though as it's different from anything I ever played.

I didn't think the graphics were too awful, as long as they don't make the game unplayable then I generally don't mind, particularly for an RPG. I agree though the subway's suck and are boring. At the beginning when I didn't know my way around the map very well I would follow the pointer and it would take me through a never-ending maze of boring undergrounds.
        it was pretty cool going down there, not knowing what to expect when everything's gone to shit. but they forced you to go through like 20 of em in the beginning without switching up the layout or what's inside.

if they had dropped one of these in the subways early on as a tease or something when you're not strong enough to kill one yet, it would have taken me months to pick the game back up. **** those things are scary.

Comment

it was pretty cool going down there, not knowing what to expect when everything's gone to shit. but they forced you to go through like 20 of em in the beginning without switching up the layout or what's inside.

if they had dropped one of these in the subways early on as a tease or something when you're not strong enough to kill one yet, it would have taken me months to pick the game back up. **** those things are scary.
          I haven't even seen one of those things yet and the stupid zombie ghoul things are freaky enough. You hear them before you seem them and the place is incredibly dark.

I remember the first time I seen a super-mutant. Opened a door just expecting to find some loot and there was this big muthafukin Nikolai Valuev looking yellow thing shouting at me, I absolutely ***** myself.

Comment

I haven't even seen one of those things yet and the stupid zombie ghoul things are freaky enough. You hear them before you seem them and the place is incredibly dark.

I remember the first time I seen a super-mutant. Opened a door just expecting to find some loot and there was this big muthafukin Nikolai Valuev looking yellow thing shouting at me, I absolutely ***** myself.

my bad for spoiling it then. they did an amazing job with the game's atmosphere and the creatures. exploring abandoned vaults are genuinely eerie and being outgunned in the dark most of the time is absolutely thrilling. no cheap jump scares that real horror games force down your throat.

Comment

my bad for spoiling it then. they did an amazing job with the game's atmosphere and the creatures. exploring abandoned vaults are genuinely eerie and being outgunned in the dark most of the time is absolutely thrilling. no cheap jump scares that real horror games force down your throat.
              Nah it's not a problem. Only spoilers I care about is the main story and side-quests which I find very fun.

Like Skyrim, I spend a lot of time just wandering and doing the side quests. I played 60 hours of Skyrim and never fast-travelled anywhere lol, one of the positives about that game. The scenery was so magnificent I could spend a couple of hours just wandering looking for new places and random events. Fallout is the same in that regard, I generally just walk to most places.

Comment

maybe a wee bit off topic again, but...I've never watched any of the Star Wars films, or know anything about the thing for that matter, maybe except that Darth Vader was a badass. Which brings me to my question...will I be able to enjoy KOTOR?

Comment

Originally posted by Debopam Roy View Post
                  maybe a wee bit off topic again, but...I've never watched any of the Star Wars films, or know anything about the thing for that matter, maybe except that Darth Vader was a badass. Which brings me to my question...will I be able to enjoy KOTOR?
                  Yes you should be able to, there is literally no reference to the movies.

The story is set 5000 years before the films and as long as you just accept everything that's said to you about the Star Wars universe you should be okay. Just don't question things like speed of light travel, the force and whatnot.

It has one of the greatest plot twists in gaming history, and that's as much as I'll say.

However, with that said I'd recommend watching the original Star Wars trilogy. Even though I feel the movies are a bit over-hyped they are very watchable and good fun.

Comment

Best game I ever played.

I thought the main story in both Oblivion and Skyrim was atrocious. I also felt the mini-quests lacked substance and the game was generally boring and un-interesting. Not to mention I never really connected with ANY of the characters in any of the games excluding Ulfric Stormcloak who I thought was real cool.

In Fallout 3 I genuinely care about some of the characters and making decisions is something I genuinely put thought into. I find myself loving and hating various characters and I have become much more immersed in the game than I did in TES.

I can't help you there, I've never played Bioshock and I started mass effect but I didn't like it too much. I think because it was made by Bioware I was expecting a game like KOTOR and Mass Effect just isn't anywhere near it.

I actually really enjoy the combat in Fallout. I love how the weapons are quite inaccurate so having a shootout is somewhat based on luck like in real life. I generally don't play it like a true shooter and think about what I'm doing, trying to pick off enemies one by one from range rather than rushing. Also the targeting thing is absolutely fantastic fun.

In Skyrim I thought the combat was lame. Melee was simply mashing the R trigger. Ranged was literally impossible from distance if an enemy was running so you actually either had to ambush them using sneak(which was fun) or go down and face them shooting while running backwards.

I'll buy New Vegas for sure once I'm done with this.
                    I actually play the combat in elder scroll as 3rd person which imo opinion is far better than 1st person. Which is why I like it more I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      I actually play the combat in elder scroll as 3rd person which imo opinion is far better than 1st person. Which is why I like it more I guess.
                      I generally prefer 1st person combat. Aiming just makes a lot more sense to me if the crosshairs are clearly where your gun is pointing.

Matter of opinion I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X