Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great fighters of the past with modern training/nutrition.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great fighters of the past with modern training/nutrition.

If the great fighters of yesteryear, i.e. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Louis, and Marciano, were given modern training methods and nutrition, how would it affect their performance in the ring? Would they be even better?

Nothing has changed. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
      Drugs are a hell of a lot better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Drugs are a hell of a lot better now.
        but they don't make you super human, they keep you at your best more consistently.

Comment

but they don't make you super human, they keep you at your best more consistently.

It sure seems odd to me when athletes are playing/fighting at their career best when they are close to 40. This wasn't boxing, but Barry Bonds looked superhuman to me when he hit 73 homers.

Comment

Is that why Hopkins is able to fight into his late '40s? PEDs?

Comment

Besides PED's, Im inclined to agree with this. Show me a heavyweight today with the skills of Louis, speed of Ali, Stamina of Frazier or the pure destructiveness of Foreman. Wlad is the closest and he is MILES better than anyone else today.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

It sure seems odd to me when athletes are playing/fighting at their career best when they are close to 40. This wasn't boxing, but Barry Bonds looked superhuman to me when he hit 73 homers.
                Barry Bonds always hit home runs. Even when he was a tiny dude. He put on more weight to put more behind his swings. Hell, Ken Griffy Jr. would have most likely left Bonds in the dust regardless. We all know he's clean. The guys body couldn't hold up against the wind. He was one of those once in a life time talents.

You're also not counting the rounds in which Marquez hand to land that shot and the fact that in boxing ring IQ trumps all. Sometimes being the fastest, or strongest just isn't enough in boxing. It sure does help, but being a smarter fighter goes way further. Marquez is no slouch, and I don't think that fight was the best of his career. Probably the most memorable though.

I mean Nonito Donaire is living proof. The guy makes fun of other peoples styles, but when you look into it, he has an eye for their game and how they fight. He's got an excellent IQ for boxing and even though he's beating up older guys right now he's showing that he can learn anything from any time period.

Comment

Other than Peds... nothing's changed.

Peds imo play a huge influence in this era.. and in the 90's era

It's easy to tell who is roiding.
                  I'm not saying steroid users are always rage addicts and prone to temper tantums/ in ring break downs, but it sure is a tell tale sign. + injury related to Steroids.

I am by no means trash talking or trying to be insultive.. so forgive me if I offend any Vitali fans.. but the signs are so blatantly obvious.. it's quite unreal how people just brush it aside.

Vitali was injured a shocking 14 times during his career. During a stretch he was injured four times in 10 months (Rahman Stretch) and every single one of the 14 injuries were injuries suffered most by Roid Users.
                  Vitali is also prone to in ring rage- Lewis fight, Solis Fight, Sanders-Wlad fight. Guy literally goes berserk when things don't go his way.

Steroids are a big big part of the 90's and current boxing culture. But other than that, it's more or less the same.
                  Training methods might have changed but that don't mean it got better.

Anyways... once again don't mean to offend Vitali fans.. just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for being patient.
                  Last edited by Skittlez; 12-29-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

double post
                    Last edited by Skittlez; 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X