Collapse
No announcement yet.

The myth of Mayweather's speed.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shane aint prime anymore...............when was the last time he fought a "speed demon " like floyd...............................but to answer the question floyd is fast.......hes not just ***** fast.............

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Yuri View Post
      Nope

Ricky said Pacquiao was the fastest fighter he ever faced

I think Ricky said Floyd would beat Pacquiao, but he said Pac was faster
      He may have said that as well. But in the boxing mag i read today Ricky said the PBF he fought was faster and he predicts Floyd to beat Pac if he had to choose.
      PBF may only have been faster, becuase Pac seemed to be going for power punches against Hatton.

Comment

Originally posted by Sutekh uvdabrix View Post
        Mayweather has great timing and accuracy. But if you watch his fights his hand speed is really not that fast and neither is he really. I keep seeing this comparison between shane and floyds speed. At 33 shane was much faster, much quicker moving in and out and much quicker hands. Floyd loads up a bit in combos and always had... pot shots and jabbing have always been quick. But floyd is really not that fast.
        maywethers hand speed looks slow at these higher weights because he takes less chances an throws less combos.but his hand speed is extreme.mosleys hand speed has been very ordinary above 135,except for the 1st de la hoya fight when he was on p.e.d's

Comment

Lay off the drugs. His timing is DUE to his speed. He wouldn't be a master of his craft if he wasn't fast enough.

Comment

right.. but my point is that floyd knew marquez couldnt hurt him That played a huge factor

What happens when floyd gets hit with a good shot.. He doesnt like to get hit and floyd is definitely soft make no mistake about it.
            That's junk right there.

You aren't 40-0 and soft.

Floyd always rolls with the punches so even if he did get hit hard he knows what to do in every situation. Zab hit him pretty flush, and their legs were tangled a bit, and he didn't automatically drop(Though his glove did graze the canvas). He can take a punch

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
              That's junk right there.

You aren't 40-0 and soft.

Floyd always rolls with the punches so even if he did get hit hard he knows what to do in every situation. Zab hit him pretty flush, and their legs were tangled a bit, and he didn't automatically drop(Though his glove did graze the canvas). He can take a punch
              You can be 40 and o and be soft.. If his speed is diminished for example and his mobility due to age will he fold under pressure or be highly resilient like holyfield.. or mosley.. etc. I say he folds.

Comment

You can be 40 and o and be soft.. If his speed is diminished for example and his mobility due to age will he fold under pressure or be highly resilient like holyfield.. or mosley.. etc. I say he folds.
                I think you'll find he's a hell of a lot tougher than you think. Maybe you think he doesn't get hit much but let me tell you, he does. The reason you think he doesn't is because he doesn't bat an eyelid. He just shrugs it off and makes sure he shows that he isn't hurt. He's very tough and everyone underrates it. Like any fighter though he gets hit

Anyway, at 140/147, he is slower than he used to be but at 130, 135 he was faster than anyone else in the sport and that included Mosley, Judah IMO, Jones etc. The dude really was freakishly fast at 130 and 135. He has slowed considerably at 147 and now doesn't look nearly as quick. As someone else mentioned though, his timing is as much due to his amazing speed as due to his reflexes. If you are not much faster than the average guy, you don't counter nearly as well or nearly as accurately because the openings are starting to close just as you are reaching them.

You underrate his speed greatly methinks. Though as of now, he isn't nearly as fast as he was.
                Last edited by BennyST; 02-07-2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Mayweather has great timing and accuracy. But if you watch his fights his hand speed is really not that fast and neither is he really. I keep seeing this comparison between shane and floyds speed. At 33 shane was much faster, much quicker moving in and out and much quicker hands. Floyd loads up a bit in combos and always had... pot shots and jabbing have always been quick. But floyd is really not that fast.
                  I'm sorry to say but you need to start watching Floyd's fights before you make threads about Floyd.You cant just make threads because you have read a Philipino newspaper.

Floyd's soooooo fast people cant see his shots coming,that's why he's so accurate.Before anyone knows it,he's hit already.People talk about reflexes,how are you gonna have good reflexes if you are not fast?
                  Last edited by Amadla Ngawethu; 02-06-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Floyd was much faster at the lower weights than he is now.....but with his timing and accuracy it's not an issue.

Judah IMO and many others is actually faster than Floyd and Pac.....he is not very good at using his advantages though.....

Comment

Floyd lost a big portion of his speed when he moved from 140 to 147, but to say he isn't fast is just stupid...Even Freddie Roach said that Pacquiao and Mayweather's speed is equal. The only welterweight I could think of who is faster than Pac and Floyd is Zab Judah.

Comment

Working...
                      X