No announcement yet.

Rocky Marcaino vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Marcaino vs Larry Holmes

Prime For Prime who takes this match up. can the jab and movement of holmes win this for him or can Marcaino eventually KO Holmes?

Really wanna see your thoughts on this match up posters etc Great A, Jab, Micky Malone, Rooster, SOUTHPAW16BF, etc etc.

Discuss

Originally posted by St Lion View Post
    Prime For Prime who takes this match up. can the jab and movement of holmes win this for him or can Marcaino eventually KO Holmes?

Really wanna see your thoughts on this match up posters etc Great A, Jab, Micky Malone, Rooster, SOUTHPAW16BF, etc etc.

Discuss
    Cool!.... I think Rock gives him massive problems, probably dropping him a couple of times, but I also think, that Larry had remarkable recovery skills & the best HW jab of all time.. I see an SD in Larrys favor with both fighters having their eyes almost shut..

Comment

Larry Holmes would win a extremely lopsided decision,and possibly stop Marciano.

Comment

I'd call this for Holmes too, most likely by decision. That said, if Rocky were to receive an injury to the face like he did in the second Charles fight I think that Larry would be able to go even more to town than the older, smaller ex champ and might force a stoppage by cuts.

In fact to be honest, anyone who is familiar with the peak 1979-1982 Holmes and has studied the first Walcott fight and the first Charles fight would be hard pushed to bet against Larry. Rocky could have easily lost these two fights. Walcott was ahead at the time of the 13th round stoppage and Charles lost a well contested decision. Both these guys were well past their prime.

A peak Larry Holmes was taller, heavier, faster in hand and foot, longer reach, sturdier chinned, a heavier puncher and arguably better defensively than either of these two veterans. You'd have to favour his chances.

The peak Holmes was a magnificent heavyweight who would beat Rocky in every department save for one punch hitting power (Larry was a better combination puncher) and heart (in which I feel they were equal). Stamina wise both were superb over the fifteen round distance, I just cant see Marciano getting past the jab, it was too fast, accurate and Larry was too mobile. Marciano's reach disadvantage and lack of hand speed would be too much to overcome plus he'd be outweighed by over 30lbs so the clinches wouldn't benefit him much either, not that Holmes would likely need to.

Rocky's other title defenses were hardly spectacular, the battle with La Starza, the one round blowout of the 38! year old Walcott, the slugfest against Don Cockell and the war with Moore (in which he was badly hurt by the aging ex light heavy champ!).

Rocky was a great champion and one of the best fighters of all time between 180 and 195 Lbs. He would no doubt give a peak Louis trouble and also Dempsey and Patterson, but not Holmes.

Comment

Prime Holmes could take a huge whack and come back to win (Shavers) and beat other big punchers like Cooney and such. Both of whom were bigger guys and bigger punchers than Rocky, although lacked the stamina.
          But I'll take Holmes skills, reach, size, chin and most importantly the jab over the short armed Marciano.

Holmes by UD or tko.

Comment

Holmes isn't losing this one.

Tbh, one of the most overrated heavyweight boxers ( Marciano ) vs one of the most underrated ( Holmes ).

Holmes has an 81" reach, Marciano has a 67" reach. That's a big difference.

Like Mickey said, Holmes has a superb jab, he'd keep Rocky at bay all night and possibly pull off a late TKO.

Comment

I believe Larry Holmes wins a comfortable 15 round decision.

Holmes using his jab and his boxing abilitites would stay one step ahead of Rocky the entire fight.Larry might get frustrated when landing everything he had round after round and Marciono keep coming,but like against Tex Cobb he would keep on throwing until the 15th and final round.

Holmes by unanimous decision-Maybe 10-5

Comment

No one beats Marciano lopsided, I disagree with that.

Larry had one of the best jabs i have seen , But in a 15 round fight this would become a war On the level of Ali and Frazier, And a war favours Rocky. In order for Larry to win he would have to dance for 15 rounds, and really keep Rock away. But i dont think he could, Rocky Always got to his man.

Larry Could recover fast, But Rocky is a Great finisher. Shavers could have stopped Larry if he could finish as well as Rocky. If Larry goes down in this fight Rocky wins. Rocky does not let KO opotunities slip.

If i was a Betting man id be tempted to Bet on Marciano in this fight. He has the chin,stamina,endurance and toughness to withstand the Jab long enough to get to Larry.

I can see Larry Getting bombed by multiple shots and going down Late in the fight, Larry Rising but Rocky jumping on him and finishing Larry off.

Only my opinion ofcourse

ROOSTER

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
                  Cool!.... I think Rock gives him massive problems, probably dropping him a couple of times, but I also think, that Larry had remarkable recovery skills & the best HW jab of all time.. I see an SD in Larrys favor with both fighters having their eyes almost shut..

Your tit,how can you see a split decision in someones favour? You know nothing about boxing

Comment

A compelling match up pitting two of the best Heavyweights of all time together.

Larry Holmes had it all, magnificent jab, solid power, sharp reflexes, sound defence, great recovery powers and the vast experience from his apprenticeships years with Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

Holmes defended his Title 20 times, beating seven former title holders. The great Emanuel Steward once said with his strength and that very good fast jab, Larry would of been a much more difficult opponet for Lennox Lewis than Ali.

Now as for Rocky Marcaino. No previous Heavyweight put so much commitment behind every blow. Rocky could break resistance by punching foe's arms and could end a fight at any stage with a single hook or cross. he was extra ordinary strong for his size, always in magnificent condition with tremdous stamina and courage and a sound chin. Angelo Dundee said that despite the impression of crudity his head shifting defence was better than it appeared.

Now for the outcome. Can Holmes work behind his Jab and use his movement, footwork and skills to outbox Marcaino for 15 rounds? Or can the tireless Marciano get to Holmes at times shakey chin?

It is very possible that in the late stage of the fight, Marcaino(Behind on all cards) catches Holmes with a left hook, Holmes is down but manages to get up and Marcaino is all over him and catches him with a al mighty hook and knocks Holmes out.

Very intriging fight. And not easy to pick a winner out of.

Comment

Working...
                    X