Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for cutting back on sodium?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They take my blood pressure at the dentist as part of the checkup and last Friday she said mine was in the normal range, but at the higher end of the normal range, which is good enough for me!

I find a correlation between the weight I'm at and my BP reading. When I've gone to the doctor/dentist at a time when I've been doing a lot of conditioning work & dieting harder, my weight is down and my BP is in the normal range. But if I'm up a few pounds in weight is when it creeps up into the "high" part of the spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
      They take my blood pressure at the dentist as part of the checkup and last Friday she said mine was in the normal range, but at the higher end of the normal range, which is good enough for me!

I find a correlation between the weight I'm at and my BP reading. When I've gone to the doctor/dentist at a time when I've been doing a lot of conditioning work & dieting harder, my weight is down and my BP is in the normal range. But if I'm up a few pounds in weight is when it creeps up into the "high" part of the spectrum.
      Never had the dentist take mine, ever. Hmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        Never had the dentist take mine, ever. Hmmmmm.
        Yeah I was a little surprised the first time I went there and they took my blood pressure!

Comment

Originally posted by Julia Slobberts View Post
          High blood pressure (sort of) runs in my family and I'm trying to maintain a diet where I don't take in a bunch of excess sodium.

It seems like everywhere you turn, food is loaded with sodium and if you don't watch it at all, you may very well take in 300% the daily recommended sodium in a day.

One cool trick I found so far is that steel cut oats have no sodium whereas the quicker oatmeal has a decent amount. It takes about 1/2 hour to make, but I just make a gigantic batch for the whole week.
          Hello, respect to you Julia, I like your fight analysis - So, quick questions, what is your daily vegetable intake like? What kind of sweets do you eat, and do you drink coconut water? I'll share some dietary stuff that you'll never get from a doctor, they generally want us relying on them for everything.

Comment

In order to consume a mountain of vegetables daily, you want to make a good homemade dressing. Everything, eerrything at the store is complete crap. Get half a stick of grass fed, salted butter - a few tablespoons vegetable oil - 2-6 cloves garlic - 1/4 cup honey - 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (any vinegar works though) I add some pink himalayan salt , heat it up real good, then I bottle it. you don't have to keep it in the fridge. it is delicious.

You'll apply this to your green romaine and red lettuces, mixed in with carrots(important), onions(super important),pecans(these keep your stress levels low by impacting the ghrelin hormone, so by eating pecans you directly erase bad mood potential, they are great for you), broccoli (has calcium in it and is a cancer fighting food, #1 healthiest food other than turmeric and avocado) tomatoes, and if you have them, a hab pepper.. Now I add garlic olives to my salad, **** it. I also go in with, expensive area of the store cheeses that appear to be sliced off of a wheel, etc. smoked goudas are great. Take a bite of the veg you like the least, then chew a tiny bit olive, tiny bit cheese, and if you had applied the aforementioned dressing, it will make consuming this mountain of vegetables much more appealing. Another thing that helps is if you eat this after performing lots of exercise, now it doesn't have to be the recovery meal, but if you exercise early in the day and eat one of these around 1 it is very, very good, and leaves room for a 6pm dinner (with the salad, eat a can of anchovies, if you want to reduce the salt, soak the anchovies in a glass of water 30 min. peel em apart first) also eat a can of wild caught sardines at some point in that day if not right then, try to fit those both in - natural sources of omega 3 are far superior to anything from a pill, and the anchovies are a good anti inflammatory along with being full of micronutrients, they aquire these micronutrients from consuming other tiny **** in the water. they are the least toxified fish, because they are the smallest, thus they absorb the smallest amount of toxins in the water (compared to other fish you can buy)

Funny story about anchovies and salt. I went to this two week ayahuasca retreat last year around this time, and they put us all on a plant diet, zero salt. Lots of quinoa, eggs, cucumber, tomatoes..well, after the first ceremony, during the day after the first meal I would go into the jungle and train, basically just shadowboxing. My body got so devoid of nutrients and salt that on day 7 I was like a shell of myself. Luckily, I brought ten cans of anchovies in my gym bag - consuming this was 'against the rules' but I gave my buddy there a can, and he was in heaven - instantly fixed us, the salt from one can of that made me feel so much stronger and just amazing. and ever since then I've enjoyed anchovies more. Roman soldiers used to get paid in salt, it is a valuable resource and mineral - centralized medicine won't explain to you how beneficial certain foods are like turmeric being the best natural anti inflammatory in the world or that black pepper potentiates the curcumin in turmeric 2000%, they don't share this information because they are drug dealers taught to teach you to keep coming back to them.

Comment

night sweets, try this. there's a brand of greek yogurt at the store that I like, it's even at walmart, Greek Gods Traditional. whole milk yogurt. Get one of these, and then put some honey on it, ( i also like to add sweetened shaved coconut in this, and if you are celebrating, a bit of chocolate shaved in if you have it.)

1000mg magnesium and 1200 calcium before bed for rem and cns shutdown

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
                night sweets, try this. there's a brand of greek yogurt at the store that I like, it's even at walmart, Greek Gods Traditional. whole milk yogurt. Get one of these, and then put some honey on it, ( i also like to add sweetened shaved coconut in this, and if you are celebrating, a bit of chocolate shaved in if you have it.)

1000mg magnesium and 1200 calcium before bed for rem and cns shutdown
                I used to have night sweets, so I switched things up and eat sweets for breakfast instead if the craving is bad enough and then never desire sweets for the rest of the day.

Comment

Hello, respect to you Julia, I like your fight analysis - So, quick questions, what is your daily vegetable intake like? What kind of sweets do you eat, and do you drink coconut water? I'll share some dietary stuff that you'll never get from a doctor, they generally want us relying on them for everything.
                  I do probably average 4 or so servings of vegetables per day. I don't eat many sweets (zero candy, soda, etc), but I'm sure some of what I eat has some sugar snuck into it for taste. I have never really gotten into coconut water.

Comment

In order to consume a mountain of vegetables daily, you want to make a good homemade dressing. Everything, eerrything at the store is complete crap. Get half a stick of grass fed, salted butter - a few tablespoons vegetable oil - 2-6 cloves garlic - 1/4 cup honey - 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (any vinegar works though) I add some pink himalayan salt , heat it up real good, then I bottle it. you don't have to keep it in the fridge. it is delicious.

You'll apply this to your green romaine and red lettuces, mixed in with carrots(important), onions(super important),pecans(these keep your stress levels low by impacting the ghrelin hormone, so by eating pecans you directly erase bad mood potential, they are great for you), broccoli (has calcium in it and is a cancer fighting food, #1 healthiest food other than turmeric and avocado) tomatoes, and if you have them, a hab pepper.. Now I add garlic olives to my salad, **** it. I also go in with, expensive area of the store cheeses that appear to be sliced off of a wheel, etc. smoked goudas are great. Take a bite of the veg you like the least, then chew a tiny bit olive, tiny bit cheese, and if you had applied the aforementioned dressing, it will make consuming this mountain of vegetables much more appealing. Another thing that helps is if you eat this after performing lots of exercise, now it doesn't have to be the recovery meal, but if you exercise early in the day and eat one of these around 1 it is very, very good, and leaves room for a 6pm dinner (with the salad, eat a can of anchovies, if you want to reduce the salt, soak the anchovies in a glass of water 30 min. peel em apart first) also eat a can of wild caught sardines at some point in that day if not right then, try to fit those both in - natural sources of omega 3 are far superior to anything from a pill, and the anchovies are a good anti inflammatory along with being full of micronutrients, they aquire these micronutrients from consuming other tiny **** in the water. they are the least toxified fish, because they are the smallest, thus they absorb the smallest amount of toxins in the water (compared to other fish you can buy)

Funny story about anchovies and salt. I went to this two week ayahuasca retreat last year around this time, and they put us all on a plant diet, zero salt. Lots of quinoa, eggs, cucumber, tomatoes..well, after the first ceremony, during the day after the first meal I would go into the jungle and train, basically just shadowboxing. My body got so devoid of nutrients and salt that on day 7 I was like a shell of myself. Luckily, I brought ten cans of anchovies in my gym bag - consuming this was 'against the rules' but I gave my buddy there a can, and he was in heaven - instantly fixed us, the salt from one can of that made me feel so much stronger and just amazing. and ever since then I've enjoyed anchovies more. Roman soldiers used to get paid in salt, it is a valuable resource and mineral - centralized medicine won't explain to you how beneficial certain foods are like turmeric being the best natural anti inflammatory in the world or that black pepper potentiates the curcumin in turmeric 2000%, they don't share this information because they are drug dealers taught to teach you to keep coming back to them.
                    Cool, thanks for all the advice!

Comment

For salad, lately I've been buying ready made salads at Whole Foods. They are pretty big and usually 250-350 calories per meal. I just add extra tomatoes and I'm full.

Comment

Working...
                      X