Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are doing pull-ups slowly better or is faster better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are doing pull-ups slowly better or is faster better?

I always see people doing them fast as hell and getting high-reps, and I feel that is cheating the muscles. What I do is doing them slowly and get like 8-10 reps. Now, i want to know if I do them right or wrong. Is there a reason why some people feel the need to do them super-fast and get high reps that way? Does it work the muscle out differently?

I think if you do them faster it builds explosiveness. Doing it slowly would build up endurance as you're maintaining your weight for a longer period of time. Like jogging vs sprinting.

Comment

Another thing is to make sure that you get full extension. With pull ups and curls alot of people won't.

Comment

well slower is a hell of a lot harder so.

Comment

slower increases power, faster increases the fast twitch muscles. i would suggest going slow though, because for boxing, building power during pullups, you'll build speed by shadowboxing anyway.

Comment

If i do them slowly i can barely do one rep. If i do them fast i can knock out 10.

Im not too sure about this fast twitch talk with this type of exercise for boxing.

Comment

safest thing to do, is do them both. you can alternate your set bet. fast and slow, or do past pull ups today, then slow the next day. also try doing fast pull ups while your legs are vertical or bent, for more difficulty.

this is what i do: i also change from pull ups to chin ups set after set. important is you keep your muscles guessing. also be sure that you are doing the right pull ups, if not, that is cheating.

Comment

I think it's important to go slow on the way down. Otherwise people tend to just let themselves drop for half a second rather than using their strength to lower themselves in a controlled manner, and so they don't get as good of a workout. Same thing is true for bench pressing, dips, press-ups etc.

Not sure about on the way up though. I suppose I go medium-slow, I don't go fast due to not wanting to make mistakes or use momentum rather than strength, like how you see some people almost swinging their body to help themselves. Not everyone that goes fast does that, of course.

Comment

you're gonna end up going slow in the end anyway

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
                    slower increases power, faster increases the fast twitch muscles. i would suggest going slow though, because for boxing, building power during pullups, you'll build speed by shadowboxing anyway.
                    This is so wrong.

you know power is a combination of strength AND speed right?

Slower is for bodybuilding really, by which I mean the focus is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy instead of strength.

fast reps, if they have a full ROM, are infinitely better, especially for boxing. You will increase strength and explosiveness.

more fast reps > less slow ones

Comment

Working...
                    X