No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Howard Davis Jr.: “Boxing and MMA Can Easily Co-Exist"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Howard Davis Jr.: “Boxing and MMA Can Easily Co-Exist"

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Many people might not remember.

Though the 1976 Summer Olympics highlight reels are crammed with footage of all-time great Ray Leonard and future heavyweight champs Leon and Michael Spinks, it was a lanky native of Glen Cove, N.Y. who actually made the biggest in-ring impact in Montreal.

That man was Howard Davis Jr.

Then just 20 years old and already a two-time national AAU champion, Davis reeled off five straight points victories to capture both the gold medal in the 132-pound weight class and the Val Barker Trophy as the most outstanding boxer of the games.

The wins north of the border closed a 120-5 amateur career that had also included defeats of Thomas Hearns and Aaron Pryor, and launched Davis on a path that looked likely to include world championship recognition alongside his celebrated U.S. teammates. [Click Here To Read More]

I followed Davis Jr from the Amateurs til the end. Interesting he regrets not fighting Duran. I can't imagine that being a very good fight for Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
      I followed Davis Jr from the Amateurs til the end. Interesting he regrets not fighting Duran. I can't imagine that being a very good fight for Davis.
      Exactly. A "notch" on his resume? From the guy that lost to Jim Watt? More like blotch

Comment

Given that Howard Davis Jr really was only asked one question on whether or not MMA can co-exist with Boxing, and it really was a quick, vague answer, the proper heading for this interview should have been "I interviewed Howard Davis Jr. a guy who competed in the Olympics and fought some really good guys in his career"

Comment

People like watching fights and they are very different sports so yea I think there is plenty of room for both.

Comment

Working...
          X