No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Broner: I Want To Stop The Mayweather Comparisons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    In terms of styles of fighting, Holmes fought just like Ali. Very similar.

Leonard I don't think fights like Ali all that much to be honest with you. He has some traits that are similar but Leonard has his own style.
    I thought we were talking about trying to be like them, my bad. Holmes was obviously very similar to Ali.

I thought Leonard swagger jacked some of Ali's traits in the ring though. The shuffle and the tassels notably. He was definitely influenced greatly by Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Floyd is corny and forced. Broner is a clown. He's' not mimicking Floyd's personality. He's being himself.
      I think Floyd's "Money May" persona is just that, a persona. Broner probably is being himself. But being himself is pretending to be Floyd. Remember, Floyd started all this Money May stuff around the time of the Gatti fight, which was I believe in 2005. Broner was 15-16 years old at the time. I'm pretty sure as a kid, he shaped his personality around his idol's. Just like all these cats in the NFL that mimick Deion Sanders and NBA players that mimick Jordan. It happens. I mean seriously, why do you think Kobe and LeBron constantly quote MJ's "the game of basketball" line? Why do you think Kobe walks with the same, "I gotta ****" stroll that MJ had? It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        Floyd is corny and forced. Broner is a clown. He's' not mimicking Floyd's personality. He's being himself.
        Well put. I totally agree with this. I like broners persona a lot better than floyd. I think he is naturally funny.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          I thought we were talking about trying to be like them, my bad. Holmes was obviously very similar to Ali.

I thought Leonard swagger jacked some of Ali's traits in the ring though. The shuffle and the tassels notably. He was definitely influenced greatly by Ali.
          Of course, of course. A lot of people were back then.

Believe it or not, Leonard was heavily influenced by Joe Frazier at the start of his career and in his Amateur career. And fought very similarly to him.

He changed his style up when he progressed and you saw the obvious Ali traits, but the Frazier traits stayed with him throughout his whole career.

That's what made Ray Leonard one of those special fighters.

Comment

The simple fact that many of you are singing a different Tune on broner now, tells me that most of you are lost in the sweet science knoledge department. I saw and said that he was a beast fom first couple of fights he had. Defense wins fights, and aggressive offense first STYLE gets You KTFO!

Just looking and reading all of you naysayers Post about how Broner was over rated and a bum. Now y'all. On the band wagon, what a joke. You guys need to shut the phuck up about boxing cause 90% of yall dont know **** about boxing!
            Last edited by SWEETSCIENCE100; 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Of course, of course. A lot of people were back then.

Believe it or not, Leonard was heavily influenced by Joe Frazier at the start of his career and in his Amateur career. And fought very similarly to him.

He changed his style up when he progressed and you saw the obvious Ali traits, but the Frazier traits stayed with him throughout his whole career.

That's what made Ray Leonard one of those special fighters.
              How about Andre Ward? Was a mini-Roy Jones for much of the early part of his career and now fights nothing like him.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                How about Andre Ward? Was a mini-Roy Jones for much of the early part of his career and now fights nothing like him.
                I didn't see a lot of Ward's early career. Caught up on some tape though.

I'm not so sure Broner has the mental capacity of Ward though Ward can adjust, adapt his style. Can Broner? We'll find out.

Comment

Not trying to butt in, but I never viewed Ward and Jones stylistically alike at all.

The only similarities they have is they both kick ass in dominating fashion; but that's about it.

Ward is more like Hopkins than anything.

Roy never really fought in the pocket like Ward does. If Roy did fight in the pocket it was to land a 4-5 punch combination then get out. Whereas Ward likes to stay there and go toe to toe, chess to chess.

Jones was much better on the outside and had so much more speed, power and better reflexes than Ward and more exciting than Ward. Ward relies on angles over speed, power and reflexes.

Stylistically, Jones and Ward aren't similar at all. The only thing they have in common is they're very dominant SMW's. Oh yea, and they're light skinned lol
                  Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 11-18-2012, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Going to be hard with that style you have.
                    I was thinking the same thing.

Still not many can emulate that style thats why he gets so many comparasions.
                    So i dont think its something bad at all.

The personality part.... that i dont really like but i dont really care either, the fighting style i think its just pure genious.

Comment

Want to stop the comparisons Adrien? then stop acting like him, talking like him, dressing like him...etc. I wont say stop fighting like him cause its obviously working.

Comment

Working...
                      X