Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was arron Pryor The best jr ww of the 20th century?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was arron Pryor The best jr ww of the 20th century?

He was voted as such by the associated press in 1999.

He's in discussion along with Cervantes, Chavez and Locche.

Forgot Duilio Loi.
    Last edited by NChristo; 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM.

Comment

He's one of them, yes.

Which indicates how weak the Jr Welterweight Division historically.

Comment

Canzoneri and Ross, despite the short amounts of time they spent at 140, were better than Pryor.

Locche also edges Pryor as well.

Agree with IronDan: 140 is a very shallow division. Pryor, while an ATG, is obscenely overrated.

Comment

Kotsya tzsyu deserves mention.

Comment

Maybe!

There is no real way to know for sure.
            Here are his accomplishments at JWW
            1. Antonio Cervantes, aging and at the very end of his Career, yet he still put Pryor down, Personally I think he beats Pryor in his prime, so he gets credit of course for beating him, but how much since his career was over.
            2. He beat Arguello who was not a JWW, at his best below LW, and a good solid LW, but no way was he a legit JWW, yet Pryor and his corner had to cheat to beat him in the 1st fight, watch that right hand Arguello throws that bends pryors neck straight back and he does not go down, how and why not, he was always going down from much lesser fighters, I was from cinci and never missed 1 fight of his, so I know, he could be put down, yet when Arguello hit him with that right hand, I went OMG, Pryor is done, then his head springs forward and he just goes right on like it was nothing, but just from the impact of it, it had to be one of the best, if not the best Punch Pryor had ever been hit with, yet he didnt go down, impossible, that's the affect of his cheating I think, wish we knew for sure what he took.
            anway, how much credit do you give him for beating a guy that was not a JWW, a great fighter, yes, so he does get credit, then in the rematch, Arguellos heart and sole had been stolen in the 1st fight, you could tell, no way mentally he beats Pryor again, so other than those 3 Fights, what did Pryor do as a JWW, NOT 1 SINGLE THING, he never fought the #1 contender Mamby, yes he would have most likely won, but how much credit as the best of the century do you give a guy that never fought his #1 or #2 or #3 or top contenders, Dujuan Johnson, was ranked what like 4th-7th when they fought, I dont remember for sure, but Johnson was no champ, no threat to ever be one, and he put Pryor down and he did not have big power, good or fair, yes, that's it, Pryor's camp took him and ran away from the LW division, he was the #1 Contender, so he would have received a title shot, but they ran, the LW division was stacked at the time, He should have stayed and fought Mancini, Blake, Ganigan, O'Grady, Arroyo, Paul, Rosario, Arguello at LW, Watt, Kenty, and he should have accepted Durans offer while at JWW, duran would have fought him before moving up as a full WW, but he waited so long to reply and or agree, Duran moved on, so no, how do you rate him greatest of anything based on all that and nothing else, he beats 2 guys at the end of their careers and 1 not even a legit JWW and you call him the Greatest of anything, NO WAY!

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
              no.

and he was drug cheat. it is also highly likely he used loaded gloves at some point in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                hes the first guy that comes to mind yeah. I mean, he was probably on a whole assortment of drugs though.

He was a full blown coke addict, and he definently didnt cold turkey stop before a fight. doesnt work like that lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
                  There is no real way to know for sure.
                  Here are his accomplishments at JWW
                  1. Antonio Cervantes, aging and at the very end of his Career, yet he still put Pryor down, Personally I think he beats Pryor in his prime, so he gets credit of course for beating him, but how much since his career was over.
                  2. He beat Arguello who was not a JWW, at his best below LW, and a good solid LW, but no way was he a legit JWW, yet Pryor and his corner had to cheat to beat him in the 1st fight, watch that right hand Arguello throws that bends pryors neck straight back and he does not go down, how and why not, he was always going down from much lesser fighters, I was from cinci and never missed 1 fight of his, so I know, he could be put down, yet when Arguello hit him with that right hand, I went OMG, Pryor is done, then his head springs forward and he just goes right on like it was nothing, but just from the impact of it, it had to be one of the best, if not the best Punch Pryor had ever been hit with, yet he didnt go down, impossible, that's the affect of his cheating I think, wish we knew for sure what he took.
                  anway, how much credit do you give him for beating a guy that was not a JWW, a great fighter, yes, so he does get credit, then in the rematch, Arguellos heart and sole had been stolen in the 1st fight, you could tell, no way mentally he beats Pryor again, so other than those 3 Fights, what did Pryor do as a JWW, NOT 1 SINGLE THING, he never fought the #1 contender Mamby, yes he would have most likely won, but how much credit as the best of the century do you give a guy that never fought his #1 or #2 or #3 or top contenders, Dujuan Johnson, was ranked what like 4th-7th when they fought, I dont remember for sure, but Johnson was no champ, no threat to ever be one, and he put Pryor down and he did not have big power, good or fair, yes, that's it, Pryor's camp took him and ran away from the LW division, he was the #1 Contender, so he would have received a title shot, but they ran, the LW division was stacked at the time, He should have stayed and fought Mancini, Blake, Ganigan, O'Grady, Arroyo, Paul, Rosario, Arguello at LW, Watt, Kenty, and he should have accepted Durans offer while at JWW, duran would have fought him before moving up as a full WW, but he waited so long to reply and or agree, Duran moved on, so no, how do you rate him greatest of anything based on all that and nothing else, he beats 2 guys at the end of their careers and 1 not even a legit JWW and you call him the Greatest of anything, NO WAY!
                  I still dont have it in me to pick Chavez over him though, couldnt see it. Pryor would beat him. If Duran had decided to make a pit stop at 140 I don't think he would have much trouble with any of them.

Comment

Pryor was a cheating drug churl, and his entire legacy must bear the weight of a bold asterisk. In fact, he may be discounted entirely in legacy contests such as the present one. Neither duckers or drug cheats should enjoy untainted legacies. Let them be known for what they were.
                    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 11-04-2020, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X