No announcement yet.

Just How Physically Big Was Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    Skill and experience. He was a natural Lightweight that started to eat his way out of the division as he got older (ballooning up to well over 200 pounds between fights). A newer example would be James Toney.

Poet
    After winning the title at a young age Duran only really dropped down to LW for title fights, so I would say he was always naturally bigger than the class.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
      Duran never fought anyone named Arguello, let alone whose first name was Alexis. At least not as shown on his oficial boxing record.
      He's talking about Vilomar Fernandez. Not Roberto Duran.

In regards to beating Alexis Arguello. He does specify that in his post.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        He was a very average sized lightweight but had great strength, stamina and power along with his other skills. At 5'7" with 66" reach he was the epitome of an average or perfect sized lightweight. You can see clearly against Buchanan that he's significantly shorter with less reach or the same size along with many of his other 135 fights. The only guy I remember him looking bigger than was Vilomar Fernandez, but he was a shortass at 135. Despite beating Arguello, he was towered over by a full head so.... By the time he left 135 he had grown into a solid, but not big, lightweight.
        Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        He's talking about Vilomar Fernandez. Not Roberto Duran.

In regards to beating Alexis Arguello. He does specify that in his post.
        I freely admit that I might very well be a dolt, but given the topic of the thread and the punctuation provided, I don't see how you deduce that from BennyST's quote above.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
          I freely admit that I might very well be a dolt, but given the topic of the thread and the punctuation provided, I don't see how you deduce that from BennyST's quote above.
          I think the fact Fernandez beat Arguello makes it pretty clear that he was referring to Fernandez.

Considering, he specified he was talking about Fernandez in the sentance prior.

"The only guy I remember him looking bigger than was Vilomar Fernandez, but he was a shortass at 135. Despite beating Arguello, he was towered over by a full head so...."

How can you not see that he is clearly referring to Fernandez there in that statment in regards to beating Arguello, and not Duran.

Comment

I think the fact Fernandez beat Arguello makes it pretty clear that he was referring to Fernandez.

Considering, he specified he was talking about Fernandez in the sentance prior.

"The only guy I remember him looking bigger than was Vilomar Fernandez, but he was a shortass at 135. Despite beating Arguello, he was towered over by a full head so...."

How can you not see that he is clearly referring to Fernandez there in that statment in regards to beating Arguello, and not Duran.
            And to put it simply, regular posters in this section know that Benny would never think that Duran ever fought Arguello.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
              And to put it simply, regular posters in this section know that Benny would never think that Duran ever fought Arguello.

Exactly.

But even if he wasn't, it's still clear as day he's referring to Fernandez.

Comment

Exactly.

But even if he wasn't, it's still clear as day he's referring to Fernandez.

history section ethos

Comment

Working...
                X