No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Canelo vs. Cotto Bout is Still Possible

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Canelo vs. Cotto Bout is Still Possible

There is still a possibility that we might get to see the Mexico vs. Puerto Rico grudge match between WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and former three-division beltholder Miguel Cotto, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

Golden Boy was planning to stage the fight on May 4th - but the match took a serious hit on Saturday night when WBA "regular" champion Austin Trout secure a lopsided twelve round decision over Cotto at New York's Madison Square Garden.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    There is still a possibility that we might get to see the Mexico vs. Puerto Rico grudge match between WBC 154-pound champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and former three-division beltholder Miguel Cotto, according to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.

Golden Boy was planning to stage the fight on May 4th - but the match took a serious hit on Saturday night when WBA "regular" champion Austin Trout secure a lopsided twelve round decision over Cotto at New York's Madison Square Garden.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    give me a ****ing break

trout did cotto a favor. canelo would've margarito'd cotto

Comment

Originally posted by fitefan View Post
      give me a ****ing break

trout did cotto a favor. canelo would've margarito'd cotto
      Good post, must say I agree. I still want to see it though.

Comment

trout stylewise was a more difficult fight for cotto than canelo would be...not saying trout is a better fighter but his odd counterpunching, footwork, workrate and stamina were nightmare for cotto last night

canelo doesnt have much head movement, he doesnt move around a lot and doesnt have the greatest stamina or workrate...he is however big for the division and a very strong and accurate puncher

its a bad fight for miguel imho because canelo would likely beat cotto at this point just not as easily as people think

Comment

Schaefer tell Canelo to stop ducking Austin Trout

Comment

Originally posted by I'm so sorry View Post
            Good post, must say I agree. I still want to see it though.
            you want to see cotto get decimated huh? he'd get it worse than mosley did. no question

it would be entertaining while it last though. just like the first margy/cotto fight

Comment

I like the idea that Cotto is still in the running to face Alvarez.

I think Trout was a ballsy pick for Cotto. He took a high risk fight that not a lot of other top fighters would have touched (no WAY would Golden Boy match Canelo with Trout). He shouldn't be punished for taking a really tough fight and coming up short.

If Cotto's multimillion dollar payday is thrown away because he took a risky fight and lost, it helps reinforce the current precedent, and we won't get to see fights like Cotto-Trout.

Comment

Originally posted by MrClutch85 View Post
                Schaefer tell Canelo to stop ducking Austin Trout
                ya heard! he got nothing to fear. it's just a hard fight that i think he'd eek out by 2 or 3 rounds

Comment

Schaeffer and company had lumpy farts watching how this fight transpired.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16 View Post
                    I like the idea that Cotto is still in the running to face Alvarez.

I think Trout was a ballsy pick for Cotto. He took a high risk fight that not a lot of other top fighters would have touched (no WAY would Golden Boy match Canelo with Trout). He shouldn't be punished for taking a really tough fight and coming up short.

If Cotto's multimillion dollar payday is thrown away because he took a risky fight and lost, it helps reinforce the current precedent, and we won't get to see fights like Cotto-Trout.
                    I agree, great point. I would rather Trout get the shot he deserves at Canelo, but treating Cotto likes he's done after losing a tough fight is just why we don't get these kind of fights. It's not Canelo's fault fights with PWill, Kirkland,or Ortiz (finally some risky fights) fell through, but it's time for Canelo to have one and Cotto would just be a name for Canelo at this point..

Comment

Working...
                    X