Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Opportunities Abound, But Guzman's Pond Still Shrinking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Opportunities Abound, But Guzman's Pond Still Shrinking

By Jake Donovan - Joan Guzman stares at the computer screen, which is open to a page showing the most recent 140 lb. ratings for the World Boxing Association (WBA). All the Dominican boxer is shake his head in disbelief.

The frustration isn’t over the rankings (which often prompts industry-wide head-shaking), as Guzman is sitting pretty. He is currently the highest rated fighter eligible to take part in a potential vacant title fight, but not even the allure of facing an unbeaten 36-year old for a shiny alphabet trinket is tempting enough to his divisional peers.

“First Marcos Maidana took off,” Guzman states, noting the Argentine’s defection from the 140 lb. ranks to pursue a career at welterweight. “Then Pablo Cano is offered the fight and he takes off.”

Several high-profile opponents – and several low-profile, though at least known in hardcore boxing cirtcles – have passed on the opportunity to face Guzman, even with the dangling carrot of a future title shot hanging overhead.

“Jessie Vargas took off. Amir Khan’s dad said ‘No.’ Danny Garcia’s dad said, ‘No.’ All I need is just one to say yes and I’ll be happy,” Guzman insists.

There is one fighter at the moment willing to give him the day. It’s not the most ideal opponent, but nevertheless a potential opponent. [Click Here To Read More]

I'm sure after Prescott kicks Figueroa's ass, he'd happily accept.
    Hes never one to stray away.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      By Jake Donovan - Joan Guzman stares at the computer screen, which is open to a page showing the most recent 140 lb. ratings for the World Boxing Association (WBA). All the Dominican boxer is shake his head in disbelief.

The frustration isn’t over the rankings (which often prompts industry-wide head-shaking), as Guzman is sitting pretty. He is currently the highest rated fighter eligible to take part in a potential vacant title fight, but not even the allure of facing an unbeaten 36-year old for a shiny alphabet trinket is tempting enough to his divisional peers.

“First Marcos Maidana took off,” Guzman states, noting the Argentine’s defection from the 140 lb. ranks to pursue a career at welterweight. “Then Pablo Cano is offered the fight and he takes off.”

Several high-profile opponents – and several low-profile, though at least known in hardcore boxing cirtcles – have passed on the opportunity to face Guzman, even with the dangling carrot of a future title shot hanging overhead.

“Jessie Vargas took off. Amir Khan’s dad said ‘No.’ Danny Garcia’s dad said, ‘No.’ All I need is just one to say yes and I’ll be happy,” Guzman insists.

There is one fighter at the moment willing to give him the day. It’s not the most ideal opponent, but nevertheless a potential opponent. [Click Here To Read More]
      Good read. Didn't know so many boxers have turned him down. I can understand. I'm sure he will get his opportunity sooner or later...just needs to stick to it. Good luck!

Comment

Guzman has no one to blame but himself. He was very unprofessional with his weight issues.

Now he has to pay the price and just take whatever is available.

Comment

Garcia would beat guzman khan would beat him madiana would beat him ppl are not running From him garcia already has a fight with morales khan is in recovery mode madaina has a fight already

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Guzman has no one to blame but himself. He was very unprofessional with his weight issues.

Now he has to pay the price and just take whatever is available.
            That's what the article touches on, the selectivity of the industry decides to punish. Rios missed weight 3 times in a row, yet gets a high profile bout on HBO. Morales didn't even attempt to shed weight in his last fight, and lost, and is rewarded with another title shot. He acknowledges why he's being punished, and yes it his fault, but he also makes a good point about the double standards.

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
              Garcia would beat guzman khan would beat him madiana would beat him ppl are not running From him garcia already has a fight with morales khan is in recovery mode madaina has a fight already
              Maidana would beat him? You know what....why even bother responding..your comment is DOA!

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                That's what the article touches on, the selectivity of the industry decides to punish. Rios missed weight 3 times in a row, yet gets a high profile bout on HBO. Morales didn't even attempt to shed weight in his last fight, and lost, and is rewarded with another title shot.
                Rios and especially Morales built drawing power for themselves before screwing up.

Guzman never did. He was on the cusp of getting more known when he started ****ing up.
                Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 08-08-2012, 04:38 AM.

Comment

This writer compares Guzman to Rios and suggests that Guzman is somehow being treated more harshly, but their situations aren't exactly comparable if you ask me. Rios failed to make weight by half a pound and a couple of pounds against Murray and Abril, attempted to drain himself in order to make weight, and fought on despite being weakened. (BIG PROPS to Murray and Abril for going through with those fights against a heavier opponent rather than pulling out, which they had every right to do).
                  However, in the case of Guzman, he came in overweight against Campbell and PULLED OUT of that fight despite Campbell's willingness to face him (Campbell was broke and lost out on the paycheck). He came in NINE pounds over the limit against Funeka in their rematch and CHEATED in his fight against Davis (while still coming in overweight on top of it). Despite all that, he's back in line for a title shot just three fights after his suspension (while facing fringe opposition). The writer concludes by stating that the industry is very unforgiving, but it seems pretty damn forgiving if you ask me, ha ha. Excuse me for not shedding a tear over Guzman's lack of professionalism.

Comment

I'm with Guamar on this. If anything, I'm actually surprised Guzman was able to rebound his career this fast considering the 'fuck ups. Maybe I'm speaking too soon but I think he finally has his weight problems in check.

Comment

Working...
                    X