No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Donaire-Mares Stalled, Valdez, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Donaire-Mares Stalled, Valdez, More

By Robert Morales - Super bantamweight champions Nonito Donaire and Abner Mares have made no bones about wanting to fight each other. But since Donaire is promoted by Top Rank Inc. and

Mares by rival Golden Boy, the two haven't even come close to squaring off. Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy, does not hold out a lot of hope that will change, either.

"Oh, I would love to see that fight as well because I think it would be a great fight, another one of those pick-em fights," Schaefer said. "And you have the Mexican and the Filipino. So, absolutely, it's definitely a fight I would like to see, it's definitely a fight I'd like to make.

"But Bob Arum is pretty clear that he has no interest whatsoever to work with us and he was very clear, was on the record with that. So if you have a promoter who is absolutely not willing to work with us, then the fact that this fight is going to happen, the chances I think are very slim."

Schaefer was queried as to what Mares' next move could be, assuming nothing materializes with Donaire, and if the possibility exists that he could defend his title against bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz, who would have to move from 118 to 122.

"Well, I think [Click Here To Read More]

Schaefer ended the article talking about a bunch of rematches. He didn't really mention anything fresh except the de leon fight. i don't think kirkland-angulo rematch needs to happen now, both should fight legit 54 pounders. kirkland has been out for a bit im looking forward to seeing him back but not against angulo. i'd rather see him get revenge on ishida if they're going to push a rematch. ishida would shake off the rust. angulo still does not look to be completely back based on his last outing. as for donaire-mares no matter how often arum and schaefer blame each other, the bottom line is fights aren't getting made cuz they can't and won't come together. it's becoming elementary style blame game at this point.

Comment

At least a little bit of good news came from the article

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
        At least a little bit of good news came from the article
        Did you happen to notice that Schaefer called Fernando Beltran basically an extension of Top Rank?

Well Beltran promotes Miguel Vasquez so that might give you an idea of why they turned down $350,000 to fight Broner. It's not going to be easy to make that matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Did you happen to notice that Schaefer called Fernando Beltran basically an extension of Top Rank?

Well Beltran promotes Miguel Vasquez so that might give you an idea of why they turned down $350,000 to fight Broner. It's not going to be easy to make that matchup.
          They have co-promoted before (Zanfer+GB)

It was also after the whole (TR+GB) fiasco

While it may be difficult its not exactly May-Pac Garcia-Rios Donaire-Mares etc

Comment

I'm not exactly sure why Schaefer is talking about Kirkland. As far as I know, his lawsuit with GBP and his management crew is still ongoing and not settled.

Either way, if both guys "wanted" to make the Donaire/Mares fight as much as they say, it'd be done by now. When two companies want something enough, work gets done.

And Bob Arum has no right talking about what the "fans want to see." That old prick has kept the public from seeing marquee fights for so long, and so many matchups, he's the last person that can talk about that.

Comment

" the only reason nonito got the fighter of the year was becuase hbo showed 4 of his fights" -bob

and people say nonito is arum's pet ..bobby never liked nonito and vice versa

Comment

Arum trying to unilaterally make Donaire/Mares a Top Rank promotion is nonsense. That's what I hate the most. When he comes out and frankly states that he expects the other marquee opponent to just go along with whatever he demands. It is maddening.

Comment

Originally posted by ddangerous View Post
                  Arum trying to unilaterally make Donaire/Mares a Top Rank promotion is nonsense. That's what I hate the most. When he comes out and frankly states that he expects the other marquee opponent to just go along with whatever he demands. It is maddening.
                  I dont understand what is wrong with the logic. If he isnt asking for any options, and on paper Golden Boy is mentioned and can have their banners raised at the fight to show they are a part of it, and they are getting paid for the matchup, then what is the big deal? i could see if this was going to be a PPV. but for a regular HBO match up, why the hell not?

Of course it would be BETTER for them to co-promote, no doubt. But if the fight is so freaking important, and both GB and Abner Mares will be compensated for their services, then i say go for it.

Comment

Golden Boy and Top Rank have worked together before without having to pay any "step aside" money. Barrera-Morales trilogy is a good example of that. Don't tell me Bob is still butt hurt because his star fighter lost the last two.

Comment

Working...
                    X