Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Miguel Cotto done enough to be voted into the IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think so, he was on the brink of becoming a HOFer before the Margarito fight and before the Pacquiao fight but he lost both, suspect wraps or not against Margarito, he lost. He still has time though.

Comment

1 good-great win short of being a Hall of Famer a couple wins short of first ballot.

Either a victory over a good titleholder at 154 or a win over Mosely-Berto would get him in there. Maybe even a titleholder, the Mosley-Berto loser, and Margarito.

Comment

As it stands NO. Cotto dosent even make the top 10 greatest PR fighters list. But i still think he has a chance. I believe if his people are smart they will move him up in weight to 154. He can beat either spinks, foreman, or martinez who are the champs on that division. That will give him 4 titles in 3divisions same amount as Benitez and Trinidad. His only blemish will be the margocheater fight which now with the pictures of the pink substance cleary he cheated and his lost to Pacman which already is being questioned due to Perfomance enhancing drugs. The last part has already been discussed extensively in other threads.

Comment

I say no at this point.

He has some good names and wins on his resume, but I think the fact that he won vacated titles and lost his two biggest fights take some shine away.

He still has time to get back on the horse and pick up a few more quality wins though. Perhaps this subject can be revisited one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadows View Post
            I say no at this point.

He has some good names and wins on his resume, but I think the fact that he won vacated titles and lost his two biggest fights take some shine away.

He still has time to get back on the horse and pick up a few more quality wins though. Perhaps this subject can be revisited one day.
            the vacated titles thing really isn't that big in my opinion. the man makes the fight/title. floyd mayweather beat carlos baldomir for the welterweight title.....i don't think anyone can decisively argue that baldomir is any better than carlos quintana however.

he didn't lose his two biggest fights either. he lost one of them. the shane mosley fight was a bigger legacy fight for cotto than the margarito fight was. shane is a great fighter and will make the hall of fame easily. margarito....not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by HaglerSteelChin View Post
              As it stands NO. Cotto dosent even make the top 10 greatest PR fighters list. But i still think he has a chance. I believe if his people are smart they will move him up in weight to 154. He can beat either spinks, foreman, or martinez who are the champs on that division. That will give him 4 titles in 3divisions same amount as Benitez and Trinidad. His only blemish will be the margocheater fight which now with the pictures of the pink substance cleary he cheated and his lost to Pacman which already is being questioned due to Perfomance enhancing drugs. The last part has already been discussed extensively in other threads.
              Really? Name 10 better Puerto Rican fighters. I know 5 are pretty simple:

Gomez
              Trinidad
              Ortiz
              Benitez
              Torres

after that it's not so clear. Camacho, DeJesus, Rosario, Calderon....Miguel Cotto is certainly in that class, if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post

Gomez
                Trinidad
                Ortiz
                Benitez
                Torres

after that it's not so clear. Camacho, DeJesus, Rosario, Calderon....Miguel Cotto is certainly in that class, if not better.
                Excellent point. Rosario is in the IBHOF, and Calderon had a chance at induction as well. Sixto Escobar was the first Puerto rican inducted, so you can say at least 6 were better than Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  I don't think so, he was on the brink of becoming a HOFer before the Margarito fight and before the Pacquiao fight but he lost both, suspect wraps or not against Margarito, he lost. He still has time though.
                  I agree with this.

Comment

if Barry McGuigan can be voted in then Cotto is nailed-on to be inducted otherwise the IBHOF is a sham

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post

Gomez
                      Trinidad
                      Ortiz
                      Benitez
                      Torres

I agree on the 5 you mention, here are 6 more(including 3 you mentioned).

Samuel Serrano- who had like 13 defenses as featherweight.
                      Sixto Escobar- already mentioned.
                      Juan Laporte-dosent have the greatest won and lost record but he had incredible competition. He never was kod until the end of his career. He fought the likes of Azulmah Nelson, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Tszyu etc.
                      Dejesus The only lightweight to beat DUran during his 72-1 streak as a lightweight. He beat good fighters as lampkin and gave medina his first lost. He also was robbed in a hometown decision in the Gomez fight in Venezuela So he really was like 43-0 when he fought Duran. His other notable lost was Cervantes by decision. He was 58-5 but only 3 real loses in his prime and 2 were to the hands of stone.

Camacho People find his style to be annoying, as he never was knocked out even by Chavez and Trinindad. What people fail to recognize is that Camacho has fought in 7 weight classes and has a title in each one; and YES he has only 3 that are considered legit, as people dont take the IFC serious. But to fight 87 times in 7 classes and NEVER be KOD is a feat. But if that is not enough he did beat Mancini, Limon, Ramirez,Rosario(although controversial), Pazienza, and Haugen. THose are all champions. His only major lost was to Chavez and Trinidad. But he fought Trinidad in his fourth weight class at 147. His first lost to Haugen was nonsense as the ref took a point away for not touching gloves and it cost him a draw. I take his resume over cotto anyday. I wont mention his wins over duran and leonard since they were past their prime. 79-5-3 NO KO's not shabby.

Rosario Cotto has not surpassed EL CHapo yet. Chapo is known mainly for losing to Chavez. But he also beat Ramirez, Jones, and Bramble. He fought in a division that was filled with talent. His lost to Camacho was disputed. His victory over Garza by KO for the WBA JR Welterweight title cemented his name as one of the greatest PR fighters of all time.

So now there is 11 total fighters that i put ahead of Cotto. This dosent even count Juan manuel lopez will fight for a featherweight title soon and is moving up the ranks or Calderon. I put Cotto ahead of John John Molina and Wilfredo Vasquez after his win over Mosley.

I still think is making his legacy. If he wins at 154 he definitely will surpass some guys on the list. In addition, his lost to margocheater is questionable and years from now maybe something about pacman will come out to question his success. So the jury is still out on how high in this list he will get?
                      Last edited by HaglerSteelChin; 11-19-2009, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X