Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For GGG to be considered an all time great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For GGG to be considered an all time great?

He's very, very good, no doubt, as his amateur record and knockout percentages attest, but his professional competition has been relatively weak (although I think Danny Jacobs was a tremendous challenge on that night for anyone). I think he needs to beat Canelo and Jermall Charlo (both tough tasks IMHO) to be considered unquestionably great. If he could consolidate all belts and equal or beat Hopkins' defense record on top of that, he'd have to be seriously considered for #1 middleweight of all time. Not sure he can do any of these, as I think his peak may be at or nearing its end. Thoughts?

I see you mentioned Jermall Charlo but didn't mention Jamal Charlo is there a reason why?

Comment

Originally posted by Qwikbarton View Post
      He's very, very good, no doubt, as his amateur record and knockout percentages attest, but his professional competition has been relatively weak (although I think Danny Jacobs was a tremendous challenge on that night for anyone). I think he needs to beat Canelo and Jermall Charlo (both tough tasks IMHO) to be considered unquestionably great. If he could consolidate all belts and equal or beat Hopkins' defense record on top of that, he'd have to be seriously considered for #1 middleweight of all time. Not sure he can do any of these, as I think his peak may be at or nearing its end. Thoughts?
      As many know I don't like Golovkin or his fans. I was reading this and thinking this guy is being genuine, he may be overrating Charlo a little but I see where he's coming from.

Then I read.

"he'd have to be seriously considered for #1 middleweight of all time."

And "OMFG this guy is a fucking ****** that doesn't know shit about boxing" immediately entered my thoughts.

Comment

he'd have to conquer 168 and 175, Ward still isn't an ATG while arguably being the best SMW ever and becoming undisputed champ at 175, he might be an ATG if he's beats the WBSS winner at 200

Comment

Good post with a well thought out argument. Yes I think GGG is a very good and very entertaining fighter but as you have said his professional record needs a lot of work to be considered one of the true greats. I disagree in a few of your points however.

Firstly in the opponents you mentioned. The Canelo fight definitely needs to happen but the Charlo brothers are completely untested at middleweight. Until Jermall Charlo has one fight at the weight then I dont think he can be considered in the equation. I would like to see GGG fight Canelo, then fight Saunders to unify and finally have a rematch with Jacobs (if he still remains at middleweight). Then possibly (though very unlikely given his age) move up to 168 and fight some of the champions.

The second thing I disagree with is in regards to consider GGG the number 1 middleweight of all time, even if he unifies the division and beats Hopkins record. I dont think that would be anywhere near a strong enough claim to cement him as the best MW ever. There has been too many great middleweights who have much better resumes. Unfortunately GGG is victim of the current Middleweight climate in that its devoid of real talented opponents for him to fight.

Given his age I question whether he will even be able to unify the division and move up/ break Hopkins record

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiqkingofko View Post
            he'd have to conquer 168 and 175, Ward still isn't an ATG while arguably being the best SMW ever and becoming undisputed champ at 175, he might be an ATG if he's beats the WBSS winner at 200
            nah no wai, has to unify heavyweight as well

Comment

Golvokin will lose in September. Let's see K2's next move. In 2016 we made too many posts for Golovkin to move to 168 and become a Champ there... assuming there's no toll in his capacity there...

We then literally see his fans give him a pass for not finalizing undisputed either in UK or Kazakh soil... K2 were just trolling Astana hype even they were promoting it for years in tarps... all that down the drain to get beat by Alvarez. If that's what Ggg's fans wanted fine...

Comment

Beat Canelo, rematch Jacobs and win the WBO. That will place him firmly in the IBHOF

Comment

Good fight coming up and if he wins he will earn some respect.

Comment

You kidding, right? He already lost to Jacobs, might lose to nelo, wont beat any of the Chalo's & wont beat any top guys at 168.

Comment

Working...
                    X