tszyu vs whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tszyu vs whitaker

prime for prime?

interesting match-up @ 140 doncha think?

i feel that pea will pay the price if he ever makes the mistake of clowning on zoo...

whitaker would have been too slick for tszyu,but if tszyu landed with a clean combo then lights out

Comment

Pea by UD.

I agree he can't **** around in this one tho.

Comment

I think he would beat Tszyu by UD. I dont think Tszyu was all people make out to be and i think the fact that Tszyu had a limited inside game is what would lose him this fight, Whitaker would get in the pocket and outbox him imo.

I seem to remember Leija doing okay when he got inside of Tszyu's range.

Comment

Originally posted by project xxx1 View Post
          whitaker would have been too slick for tszyu,but if tszyu landed with a clean combo then lights out
          Although he took some spills to the canvas (Mayweather, McGirt), Whitaker had a pretty good chin. I was impressed by his toughness when he lasted the distance against Trinidad. I think Tszyu would have to give Whitaker a prolonged beating to stop him, and I don't think he'd land often enough to do that.

Whitaker would probably spend more time moving laterally and on the backfoot then in the more aggressive manner in the pocket in which he fought the likes of McGirt, Paez, and Mayweather. Tszyu was very good at getting his right hand in against lefties, but obviously the likes of Mitchell, Rodriguez, and Judah were levels below Sweet Pea. He'd land some shots, but not enough. Whitaker would probably mix in some mauling tactics, as he was effective at coming in with that right shoulder and driving his opponents back, then hitting them with his left. Tszyu liked to control the pace and distance of fights and tactics like this would be good for Whitaker to use to mess up Tszyu's rhythm when he'd start having succcess.

All in all I think Whitaker wins a clear decision.

Comment

It would be a frustrating night for Tszyu

Comment

120-108 Whitaker

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                Although he took some spills to the canvas (Mayweather, McGirt), Whitaker had a pretty good chin. I was impressed by his toughness when he lasted the distance against Trinidad. I think Tszyu would have to give Whitaker a prolonged beating to stop him, and I don't think he'd land often enough to do that.

Whitaker would probably spend more time moving laterally and on the backfoot then in the more aggressive manner in the pocket in which he fought the likes of McGirt, Paez, and Mayweather. Tszyu was very good at getting his right hand in against lefties, but obviously the likes of Mitchell, Rodriguez, and Judah were levels below Sweet Pea. He'd land some shots, but not enough. Whitaker would probably mix in some mauling tactics, as he was effective at coming in with that right shoulder and driving his opponents back, then hitting them with his left. Tszyu liked to control the pace and distance of fights and tactics like this would be good for Whitaker to use to mess up Tszyu's rhythm when he'd start having succcess.

All in all I think Whitaker wins a clear decision.

Tszyu was very good at getting his right hand in against lefties

Agree with the bolded, although as you said Whitaker is not Mitchell. When i look at the trouble he had landing on Roger Mayweather when Tszyu smoothered his own work. I can definitely see Whitaker getting inside his range and staying there & countering effectively. I know that was a green Tszyu but i never saw him adapt his inside game later in his career either.

That said i do agree that Whitaker wins outside, but i also think he wins mid range to. Tszyu likes space to punch, that imo is one of the main reasons he lost to Hatton, if you get inside his range and take away his extension he has no inside/mid range game, he is physically strong but i would argue Pea's strength is very underrated.

Comment

Working...
                X