Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone retired with two better wins thans Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by White Willy View Post
    Cool story bro. Joe Calzaghe held both of those titles at Super Middleweight. Where are all these clueless noobs coming from lately? It's like a mass immigration.
    Yea, he beat Kessler for it, lmao.

Comment

We're talking the resume of the great Joe Calzaghe. He retired Undefeated with wins over two living Legends. He didn't need to fight soft touches or complete novices. That is very rare isn't it? Let's ignore "past-prime" cries from moronic haters. Joe beat two of the supposed best of his generation before riding off into the sunset.
      Beat a shot Roy Jones and past it Hopkins.

Comment

• Could you imagine Calzaghe fighting Hopkins or Roy Jones in their prime? Why didn't he fight Hopkins in the early 2000's???

Comment

• When Joe Calzaghe beat Bernard Hopkins, Joe was #5 P4P and Hopkins was #4. A year later, after their fight, Joe was #3 and Hopkins #4. Hopkins maintained this high ranking by schooling an undefeated Kelly Pavlik less than six months after losing to Calzaghe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lomadeaux View Post
            Could you imagine Calzaghe fighting Hopkins or Roy Jones in their prime? Why didn't he fight Hopkins in the early 2000's???
            Hopkins was negotiating with Showtime and was set to agree a three fight deal which included a bout with his mandatory (I think Carl Daniels), I believe a fight with Harry Simon and then a third fight with Calzaghe for $6m (I think) and he opted to turn it down.

Hopkins was very difficult around that time. Not budging on 50-50 with Roy Jones and then agreeing to fight James Toney at 190 and then just after Ring Magazine's with them on the cover went on sale he pulled out. It took him 3 years (Oscar fight) to actually capitalize on the Trinidad victory.
            Last edited by chrisJS; 11-30-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

BoxingScene is in a strange state at the minute. Threads just go off topic and ramble on for 10-20 pages. Odd and amusing. How does a thread about Smokin' Joe Calzaghe turn into a debate about Canelo-GGG?
              + Rep for A+ post

Comment

Haha. Joe Calzaghe haunts daggum's nightmares.
                NOTHING like Ward!!!He can tell right now I'm typing his name and he will be here soon to bash him lol.

Comment

Working...
                X