No announcement yet.

Charles and Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles and Holmes

Would larry and ezzard been held in higher esteem if they did not follow the great Ali and Louis?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Would larry and ezzard been held in higher esteem if they did not follow the great Ali and Louis?
    From my perspective, Holmes for sure, Charles I'm not so sure, as I don't know that much about him. Because of Holmes' timing upon the scene, he became the Rodney Dangerfield (got no respect) of his chosen field. It happens in all of sports, even in everyday life. It's human nature.

As a football fan in San Francisco, I'm reminded of a so-called quarterback controversy. Steve Young took over the position for the Niners after the departure of Joe Montana and was resented by the fans, simply because he wasn't his predecessor. It wasn't until he himself won the Super Bowl that he gained acceptance and respect.
    Last edited by Panamaniac; 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      Well Charles is often held as being the greatest light heavyweight ever, he is very much held in the highest esteem. At heavyweight he was still quite a force, but was never going to be one of the very best heavyweights of all time.

As for Holmes; the real fans of the sport already hold him in terrific esteem. Many would have him down as one of the top 5 greatest heavyweights ever. In his prime he was simply seen as Ali's less charismatic/handsome sparring partner......and Larry did have a habit of saying the wrong things to the press too which didn't help his popularity much outside of Easton!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
        Well Charles is often held as being the greatest light heavyweight ever, he is very much held in the highest esteem. At heavyweight he was still quite a force, but was never going to be one of the very best heavyweights of all time.

As for Holmes; the real fans of the sport already hold him in terrific esteem. Many would have him down as one of the top 5 greatest heavyweights ever. In his prime he was simply seen as Ali's less charismatic/handsome sparring partner......and Larry did have a habit of saying the wrong things to the press too which didn't help his popularity much outside of Easton!
        This was pretty much what I tried to post but my internet shat itself.

But this is worded better!

I would add that Ezzard Charles' reputation was more damaged by his losses to Marciano and spectacular loss to Walcott than coming after Louis though, if that does indeed harm his reputation.

Some people remember him simply as a Marciano opponent, others as being on the receiving end of an amazingly slick one-punch KO from Walcott

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
        he became the Rodney Dangerfield (got no respect) of his chosen field.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
          This was pretty much what I tried to post but my internet shat itself.

But this is worded better!

I would add that Ezzard Charles' reputation was more damaged by his losses to Marciano and spectacular loss to Walcott than coming after Louis though, if that does indeed harm his reputation.

Some people remember him simply as a Marciano opponent, others as being on the receiving end of an amazingly slick one-punch KO from Walcott

Thats very kind of you matey.

Your right about that KO by Jersey Joe. Beautiful shot!

Comment

No doubt about it, especially Holmes! Ray.

Comment

I agree with those that said yes.

Comment

I actually thought Larry Holmes was a very funny dude. He has some great quotes and insights.

"Mark my words...Mike Tyson will be in jail within three years."- Larry Holmes, 1988.

Comment

Ezzard Charles is already held in higher esteem than both Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis by anyone who knows that they're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Ezzard Charles is already held in higher esteem than both Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis by anyone who knows that they're talking about.
                    sure. lol

Comment

Working...
                    X