Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which mediocre boxing trainers have lucked out with talented fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which mediocre boxing trainers have lucked out with talented fighters?

As the title states.

Which boxing trainers have seriously lucked out on talent? And conversely, which ****ty fighters have lucked out and gotten trained by top class trainers, who've even been loyal to said fighter.

For the former, I have Virgil Hunter and Andre Ward. I haven't really heard Virgil say anything of substance. I think Andre mostly comes up with strategies and **** himself, including in the corner.

PS: I don't think he qualifies for either question, but Yoel Judah is the best trainer ever. When he starts shadow boxing and goes "BOOM BOOM BOOM, TWO THREE FOUR, BOOMMMM!!!", I ****ing lose it.

Post some examples, if you have any.

Abel Sanchez

Comment

Brendan Ingle was fairly lucky. Naseem Hamed was naturally talented and could have been great with any trainer, and probably a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
        Brendan Ingle was fairly lucky. Naseem Hamed was naturally talented and could have been great with any trainer, and probably a lot better.
        I don't think Hamed with a conventional style would've done half as much. The ingle style gave everyone fits, Herol Graham gave McCallum and Kalambay murders, Jonny Nelson and Witter also went much further than their talent would've suggested.

Comment

Enzo Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
            Enzo Calzaghe.
            Not a bad shout.

I also agree with Virgil, I've never heard the dude give any tactical advise in the corner it's all pep talk.

Even with Kov-Ward; when Ward was in trouble early in the fight he never offered any tactical advise, all he did was pump Ward up with his emotional speeches which made Ward go out there and figure how to get back into the fight himself.

Khan also looks like trash under him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaspa9t9 View Post
              Not a bad shout.

I also agree with Virgil, I've never heard the dude give any tactical advise in the corner it's all pep talk.

Even with Kov-Ward; when Ward was in trouble early in the fight he never offered any tactical advise, all he did was pump Ward up with his emotional speeches which made Ward go out there and figure how to get back into the fight himself.

Khan also looks like trash under him.
              I know right?

Virgil telling Perro to "Let those gifted hands go" against Canelo makes me weak every time.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
                Enzo Calzaghe.
                That may be a bit harsh. Sure Enzo lucked out with a prime sperm reaching Mrs Calzaghes ovum, but including Joe he guided 3 of the 6 fighters he trained to world titles, and given that they all came from an area roughly the size of a postage stamp in South Wales, the talent pool wasn't exactly huge. Granted, none of them apart from Joe were very good, but that's still no mean achievement.
                Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-30-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DionysusX View Post
                  As the title states.

Which boxing trainers have seriously lucked out on talent? And conversely, which ****ty fighters have lucked out and gotten trained by top class trainers, who've even been loyal to said fighter.

For the former, I have Virgil Hunter and Andre Ward. I haven't really heard Virgil say anything of substance. I think Andre mostly comes up with strategies and **** himself, including in the corner.

PS: I don't think he qualifies for either question, but Yoel Judah is the best trainer ever. When he starts shadow boxing and goes "BOOM BOOM BOOM, TWO THREE FOUR, BOOMMMM!!!", I ****ing lose it.

Post some examples, if you have any.
                  Freddie Roach is the most overrated trainer of the last 20 years

if not for being Eddie Futch's fighter and working with him he'd have not been as known

the day Manny Pacquiaio walked into wild card was his meal ticket

he has never trained a fighter from scratch as a pro or amatuer to become a world champion

not to mention the undeserved trainer of the year awards after flat years.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    That may be a bit harsh. Sure Enzo lucked out with a prime sperm reaching Mrs Calzaghes ovum, but including Joe he guided 3 of the 6 fighters he trained to world titles, and given that they all came from a relatively small area in South Wales, the talent pool wasn't exactly huge. Granted, none of them apart from Joe were very good, but that's still no mean achievement.

Comment

Working...
                    X