Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In a kickboxing match could Jon Jones defeat Anthony Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    Why is it then that so many UFC guys hire boxing trainers to improve their punching? How is it that a 40 year old Mayweather could toy with the much bigger Conor who was the best fist fighter in the UFC and beat him so easily without training or trying?
    Because adding boxing to a well rounded mixed martial arts skillset is good, the footwork is valuable and punching is the fastest way to hurt an opponent.

But by itself it is not only useless but actually detrimental to real fighting. For many reasons. I will give you one reason, pure boxing teaches you to give your opponent underhooks immediately in the clinch which is the direct opposite of what you should do in MMA. Pure boxing makes you a puncher, not a fighter.

As far as the Mayweather question, it's all about which sport they're competing in. Put Mayweather in Muay Thai for example and any 18 year old Thai kid would turn his legs into mince meat within 1 minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Yes, Jones would beat him, because AJ doesn't train to kickbox but JJ does. This isn't that hard to figure out. In fact, without years of training and conditioning, Jones would literally be able to take AJ out with low kicks. You can't get near a kickboxer if you don't know how to take those, and if you haven't conditioned your shins to deal with that punishment. It's not something you pick up in 6 months, or even a year.

Anyone who tells you otherwise has zero understanding of kickboxing. Train with some pro kickboxing/MMA guys and you'll quickly understand the different low kicks make.
      You know what one of the best sights in life is? Seeing the look on the face of a boxer who takes one, just one solid leg kick for the first time in his entire life.

Comment

Yes, in any type of fight besides boxing, Jon Jones would beat up Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
          You know what one of the best sights in life is? Seeing the look on the face of a boxer who takes one, just one solid leg kick for the first time in his entire life.
          ^ This.
          Historically, you can see sooooo many MMA and kickboxing fights where a superior puncher gets destroyed by low kicks. I understand why people on a boxing forum don't get that. But, it's pretty much a go-to in these scenarios. You take the guy's legs out his punches lose power, he can't evade you, etc.

I was a "kickboxer" who ended up getting heavy into Brazilian JuiJitsu. I'll never forget the day I was in the MT room working the heavy bags because I wanted to get back into kickboxing. I was next to Carlos Condit and Ryan Bader who are both slightly shorter than I am. The concussive "boom" I FELT coming off the bags from their low kicks was all the reminder I needed that you can't just jump back into that shyt and "deal with" kicks.

Just because the pros make it look easy doesn't mean it actually is.

Comment

kickboxing, yes. AJ isnt gonna see those spinning elbows coming and the leg feints

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              Yes, Jones would beat him, because AJ doesn't train to kickbox but JJ does. This isn't that hard to figure out. In fact, without years of training and conditioning, Jones would literally be able to take AJ out with low kicks. You can't get near a kickboxer if you don't know how to take those, and if you haven't conditioned your shins to deal with that punishment. It's not something you pick up in 6 months, or even a year.

Anyone who tells you otherwise has zero understanding of kickboxing. Train with some pro kickboxing/MMA guys and you'll quickly understand the different low kicks make.
              yes, agree. as someone whos done some muy thai its take months to get use to the brutal conditioning your legs suffer from kicks and sparring. even with pads its huts like crazy.

Comment

Honestly I don't think so. Fighters very rarely get tkoed with leg kicks. Jones has less than a 5 percent chance of tkoing joshua with a leg kick. Kickboxing is the most overrated combat sport. This is why you have grand prix champs like overreem getting koed cold in the ufc by bums like travis browne.

Comment

Originally posted by youbeight View Post
                  kickboxing, yes. AJ isnt gonna see those spinning elbows coming and the leg feints
                  I lost count how many kickboxing and grand prix champs got koed in mma by average level strikers that wouldn't qualify as towel man in professional boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
                    Honestly I don't think so. Fighters very rarely get tkoed with leg kicks. Jones has less than a 5 percent chance of tkoing joshua with a leg kick. Kickboxing is the most overrated combat sport. This is why you have grand prix champs like overreem getting koed cold in the ufc by bums like travis browne.
                    Fighter who don't get TKO'd with leg kicks have conditioned legs and know how to defend against them. TKO from leg kicks on boxers who try kickboxing has an extremely high percentage.

Jones wouldn't even need to beat AJ that way. After a few leg kicks he could just follow up with a high kick to knock him out since he won't see it coming, much like he did to Daniel Cormier here:

Comment

Working...
                    X