No announcement yet.

Question about Rocky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Rocky

Do you guys consider Rocky Marciano an all time great?
    Because the fact that he retired undefeated and beat
    everyone that was in the heavyweight division at
    the time.Never ducking anyone.Or do you not think he is
    an all time great because the heavyweights around at the
    time were kinda weak?

1. Muhammad Ali
    2. Rocky Marciano
    3. Joe Louis

^Not in order. But any order of those top 3 heavyweights is acceptable in my opinion.

Comment

Marciano is undoubtly in the top 5 boxers of all time, he beat Joe louis, Jersey Joe walcott, Archie Moore, and other legends of boxing. The only counter Marciano haters have is that he fought old men, but I have already slammed that arguement into their faces. Marcianos age difference with Joe Louis and walcott was less than most other legends fights. For instance Ali fought with a 11 year age difference when he captured the belt, and Floyd Patterson had more troube with Archie Moore who was 22 years older.

Comment

hes in the top ten of most ppls list...hes pretty good but ppl seem to base this only on career acomplishments moreso than who he fought, he just came around at the right time during the back end of many fighters careers, only a few were good. but i rate him prolly 7-8th in the top ten..

Comment

Ali fought with a 11 year age difference when he captured the belt,
          Ali was also older than Frazier and Foreman.

Comment

Marciano's definitely top5 and for me at least top 3, i rate him with guys like Louis, Dempsey etc

but regardless Joe Louis is #1

IMO Joe Louis is the best all around fighter ever

Comment

For his determination and work ethic Marciano is one of my favorite fighters of all time. However, I don't think he ever got the opportunity to prove whether or not he was a great fighter. In my mind, to be a great fighter you've either got to beat great fighters or be dominant for a really long time. Marciano proved himself to be a very good fighter, but not great. The best guys he beat ranged from good to very good. Ezzard Charles was great in his prime, and though still a very good fighter, he was over the hill when he fought Marciano. Some guy decisioned him twice the year before he fought Marciano. Jersey Joe I don't think was ever a great fighter, though he too was very good. Moore was amazing for a 42 year old, but he was slipping by the time he fought Marciano.
              I don't discredit Marciano for losing to LaStarza the first time and Tiger Ted Lowry at least once, because he was still developing at that point. Lennox Lewis lost to mediocre fighters, and Ali should have lost to Young, Norton the 3rd time, and maybe gotten a draw against Banks. If Marciano had not retired and had gone on to beat Patterson and Johannson I might consider him great, and if he beat Liston I would definetly consider him great.
              Regardless, I think Marciano is an inspirational guy and he's definetly one of my fav. fighters.

Comment

I don't discredit Marciano for losing to LaStarza the first time and Tiger Ted Lowry at least once,
                marciano did not lose those fights, u have never seen the tape nor will u ever will. reports go both ways on the lastarza fight.

rocky unquestionably won the ted lowry fight, thats all lowry did was fight to survive. u dont win a fight that way.

Some guy decisioned him twice the year before he fought Marciano.

ezzard charles was robbed vs harold johnson in 1953

Moore was amazing for a 42 year old, but he was slipping by the time he fought Marciano.

moore was actually 38, and he wasnt slipping when he fought marciano. moore was 45-1 in his last 46 fights prior to fighting marciano. after the marciano fight, moore went 28-2.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQ49
                  marciano did not lose those fights, u have never seen the tape nor will u ever will. reports go both ways on the lastarza fight.

rocky unquestionably won the ted lowry fight, thats all lowry did was fight to survive. u dont win a fight that way.

ezzard charles was robbed vs harold johnson in 1953

moore was actually 38, and he wasnt slipping when he fought marciano. moore was 45-1 in his last 46 fights prior to fighting marciano. after the marciano fight, moore went 28-2.
                  ya know i was gunna correct him but you beat me to the punch

Comment

Originally posted by Mass Pride
                    Do you guys consider Rocky Marciano an all time great?
                    Because the fact that he retired undefeated and beat
                    everyone that was in the heavyweight division at
                    the time.Never ducking anyone.Or do you not think he is
                    an all time great because the heavyweights around at the
                    time were kinda weak?
                    Yes, Rocky Marciano was definitely an all time great!

Comment

Working...
                    X