Former WEC champ Paulo Filho opts to skip Bellator's middleweight tourney

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former WEC champ Paulo Filho opts to skip Bellator's middleweight tourney

Former WEC champ Paulo Filho opts to skip Bellator's middleweight tourney

Although originally expected to compete in the upstart Bellator Fighting Championships' eight-man middleweight tournament, former WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho has opted not to sign with the ESPN Deportes-backed organization.

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the two sides were unable to reach an agreement.

The middleweight tournament – and other eight-man tourneys in the featherweight, lightweight and welterweight divisions – commence next month when Bellator hosts 12 consecutive Friday-night events.

The shows will then air on a one-day tape delay on ESPN Deportes as the first-ever ESPN-televised MMA event series.

"Paulo at his best has proven to be one of the best MMA fighters at his weight," Rebney said. "After months of open and friendly negotiations with his manager Ed Soares, we respectfully were unable to reach an agreement. But we wish Paulo the best and hope that he soon regains his top form."

Soares could not immediately be reached for comment.

However, other managers have recently told MMAjunkie.com that Bellator's standard contract is too restrictive for most fighters. However, the organization has signed many notables, including Eddie Alvarez, Jorge Masvidal, Wilson Reis and Hector Lombard.

Filfo, meanwhile, continues his search for a new home.

Following a disappointing and bizarre loss to Chael Sonnen at WEC 36, Filho (16-1) was cut from Zuffa LLC in November. And unlike the WEC's other top light-heavyweight and middleweight fighters, he was not moved to the UFC when the WEC eliminated the two weight classes.

Filho, who suffered his first career loss in 17 professional fights with the unanimous-decision defeat to Sonnen, failed to make weight for the Nov. 5 fight. Filho initially weighed in at 192 pounds and could only get down to 189 – four pounds over the 185-pound limit – despite two additional hours of cut time.

The contest then became a non-title fight, which garnered the once-highly regarded Filho the wrath of the MMA world.

Filho defeated Sonnen a year prior, and the rematch had been scheduled for early 2008. However, Filho had to pull out of the fight to seek treatment for depression and chemical dependency. The Nov. 5 fight was his first since the original Sonnen match in December 2007.

"It's been a rough year," Soares recently said. "Paulo's had some troubles and a lot of personal issues. But in the end, it'll make him a stronger person."

Filho is now reportedly considering fighting for Sengoku or Strikeforce.

This dude is nuts, plain and simple. You don't come in 7lbs overweight for a title fight, I mean that's just saying you don't care one way or the other. On top of that, you don't then lose to Chael Sonnen, who has proven that his best asset is his uncanny ability to be submitted in hilarious and demeaning ways time and again.... when you're a BJJ ace for ****'s sake. Filho is done.

Comment

IMO Filho was always overrated by alot of MMA fans. His win against Misaki was the only one on his record worth anything. Other than that it was filled with "name" fighters who were overhyped to begin with and never really amounted to anything in their careers.

Comment

mma should implement a similar system to boxing (i can't remember wat sanctionning body it is). if the champ is over, then he should be stripped of his belt, even if he wins. and if the challenger wins, he gets the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by JabSandwich View Post
          mma should implement a similar system to boxing (i can't remember wat sanctionning body it is). if the champ is over, then he should be stripped of his belt, even if he wins. and if the challenger wins, he gets the belt.
          I agree, but I think that might have more to do with the athletic commission than the particular MMA org. All they do is make it a non-title fight and the champ gets to keep his belt even if he loses, which is a big F-U to the challenger who trains like hell for 3mo to come in on weight.

Comment

I guess you can count Murilo Rua as a tough victory, but he has seemed lackluster ever since he was taken all the way and beaten by Henderson.

To me, his most notable victory was over Joe Doerkson. That fight really showed that Filho wasn't just dangerous on the ground.

I want to compare Filho's record before Sonnen with Lyoto Machida's, but that would just be ignorant.

Still, to see an absolute BJJ ACE become fodder due to such stupid personal issues and addictions is just sad.

Comment

The Joe Doerksen didn't show anything good about Filho's standup. It was a sloppy TKO and Doerksen had been shot for years prior to that bout.

Murilo is overrated and rode the the wave of fame his brother and Wanderlei had to the point where it became sad because he never amounted to anything other than a punching bag.

Misaki was the high point of his career, but with all of Filho's drug issues I would guess he was probably on the juice during his entire PRIDE run like alot of the guys there since they never test for roids.

I would be sad and disappointed but he brought it on himself.

Comment

Working...
              X