No announcement yet.

Compubox stats for old fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compubox stats for old fights?

im looking through all these different threads that have to do with speed and ability and i always see someone saying ali is the fastest guy ever. i disagree, but thats not the point.

the thing i wonder is if compubox or anyone has ever gone
    through the pre-compubox era and statted out the fights. how this relates to ali is that i would be curious to see if he was ever outpunched.
    yeah, i know that quantity of punches says less about handspeed than it does about style but im still curious.
    anybody know?

yeah, i just looked it up on the website, compuboxonline, they dont have anything older than the mid 80's, plus all the fights are big name fights, not a lot of contender type fights.

i looked on the website for a contact link or something but theres no way to send them an email.
    the all time most punches landes stats theyve got, the heaviest guy on the list was vasiliy jirov, landed 433 punches over 12 rounds against jorge castro, 36 punch per round average.

id like to see the punch stats for the last round of norton-holmes, or all three ali-frazier and ali-norton fights.

Comment

the speed thing is done by taking old film of fighters and seeing how many punches they throw per frame. Ali had around 9-10 and Pattterson had around 10-11 so Patterson had faster hands if you go by that

Comment

there's a formula that computers do to determine which fighter would win

records are like the last thing added
        they go by like mre then 20 different things if i find it i'll post

Comment

Here's some old punchstat numbers from August 27th, 1894, and were compiled during a ten round fight between Jack McAuliffe and Young Griffo;

Round 1: Griffo - 13, McAuliffe - 13
          Round 2: Griffo - 14, McAuliffe - 16
          Round 3: Griffo - 15, McAuliffe - 13
          Round 4: Griffo - 12, McAuliffe - 6
          Round 5: Griffo - 14, McAuliffe - 8
          Round 6: Griffo - 13, McAuliffe - 13
          Round 7: Griffo - 19, McAuliffe - 19
          Round 8: Griffo - 8, McAuliffe - 12
          Round 9: Griffo - 8, McAuliffe - 23
          Round 10: Griffo - 7, McAuliffe - 14

Totlas: Griffo - 123, McAuliffe - 137

Worth noting that referee (Mr. Moore) used a "clicker" in each hand to keep track of the blows landed by each fighter, and didn't score the "slaps" or any other punch that wasn't a clean blow.

Comment

Compubox is a marketing tool for HBO and nothing more. Those are not credible numbers nor is there any consistant overlap. Just a couple of hung over in house drunks they recruit the day of the fight to punch up some buttons. It would be impossible to compile accurate numbers without slowing the action down by a factor of at least 5 or so.

Comment

Bill Cayton did some punchstats of Ali fights. In the words of Cayton "When Muhammad was young he was virtually untouchable."

Clay-Liston I: Excluding the 5th round where Ali was blinded Liston hit him with less than 12 punches a round with most of the punches being jabs.

Ali-Liston II: Liston landed 2 punches.

Ali-Williams: Williams landed 3 punches in 3 rounds!

Ali-Frazier III: Frazier landed 440 punches. I know that total punchstats were totalled for each fighter and the total punches landed was later exceeded by Ibeabuchi-Tua.

Spinks-Ali: Spinks landed 482 punches.

Holmes-Ali: Holmes landed 320 punches with 125 coming in the last two rounds.

Clearly Cayton's punchstat results were to show how Ali took punishment toward the end of his career, however in fairness those three fights featured fights that saw Ali spend a great deal of time on the ropes covering up which would help explain the high numbers.
              Last edited by SABBATH; 04-28-2006, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X