Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Williams Vs The Following? (No Fanboys)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Williams Vs The Following? (No Fanboys)

At 154...

Wilfred Benitez
    Matthew Hilton
    Julian Jackson
    Ayube Kalule
    Roberto Duran
    Buster Drayton
    John Mugabi
    Thomas Hearns
    Ricardo Mayorga
    Mike McCallum

Selected ex-champs at his current fighting weight.. A mixed bunch of styles more than anything else.. This to get a rough idea on how high/low he's rated by other historians..
    Lets keep it honest.. If you know 'jack' about any of the above, please don't contribute.. Regards mm

He might beat Benitez at middleweight. Benitez never was good at that weight. But after the first bout with Quintana and his last bout against Martinez I can't say he would beat any of those guys until all is said and done in the career of Williams. I do take into consideration that the two bouts with Martinez and Quintana may just mean he doesn't do well with fellow southpaws but time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      At 154...

Wilfred Benitez
      Matthew Hilton
      Julian Jackson
      Ayube Kalule
      Roberto Duran
      Buster Drayton
      John Mugabi
      Thomas Hearns
      Ricardo Mayorga
      Mike McCallum

Selected ex-champs at his current fighting weight.. A mixed bunch of styles more than anything else.. This to get a rough idea on how high/low he's rated by other historians..
      Lets keep it honest.. If you know 'jack' about any of the above, please don't contribute.. Regards mm
      the evidence of being outboxed is there...

boxer-punchers who have a fairly good timing...

i know they will counter this arguement by pointing out winky but im not really sure about it since wink was pretty much shot by the time p-will got him...

the 154 versions of duran, benitez & hearns will beat him IMO... a prime & hungry vargas too if I may add...

mugabi, jackson & kalule are pick'ems the way I see it... he absolutely beats mayorga man...

it wouldve been nice to see him mix it up with the late davey moore...
      Last edited by talip bin osman; 01-18-2010, 02:20 AM.

Comment

I think he beat Mayorga and maybe Hilton. Hilton was good but was very beatable on a off night.

Comment

At 154...

Wilfred Benitez
          Matthew Hilton
          Julian Jackson
          Ayube Kalule
          Roberto Duran
          Buster Drayton
          John Mugabi
          Thomas Hearns
          Ricardo Mayorga
          Mike McCallum

Paul beats Benitez on points in a very close fight. I think Benitez makes Paul look very bad at times, but Paul's workrate and intensity win him a close decision. Plus Benitez was lazy with training, and Paul is superbly conditioned, I can see Paul really taking over down the stretch.

Against Jackson could be very interesting. Jackson didn't have the best chin, but he had the punch to hurt anyone, and Paul would walk right into his power range. If Paul can shake off the first few shots, get off with his own and follow up he could put Jackson away. If Jackson lands his best and hurts Paul, he could finish him. Or Paul could survive, come back, and knock him out. Several plausible scenarios, but I lean towards Paul by KO.

Duran would be a great fight. Paul likes to mix it up, right at Duran's range. He would make it competitive with his size advantage and workrate, but overall he fights too close up, and Duran lands the cleaner shots and takes a decision.

Similar to Jackson, Mugabi had a great punch but was a little chinny and open. If he can hurt Paul and put him away it's his fight, but I'd lean towards Paul coping with the first few shots and then overwhelming Mugabi.

Hearns was sharp, fast, powerful as hell and deadly accurate. Most likely scenario is Paul comes at him and gets knocked the hell out in a few rounds. But, if he could survive the first half of the fight, and then come back to pressure Hearns, he could make it very interesting and dangerous for Hearns. But still, Hearns hit so ****ing hard, straight and fast, and Williams is so open, I'd go with a Hearns knockout.

Mayorga vs Paul would be good. Mayorga had a great chin and a punch to match. I think he and Williams go to war, with Williams getting stunned a little early on, but then coming back with his better speed, stamina and form to win a decision.

McCallum would outbox Williams and win a decision. Anyone that can match wits with a guy like Toney can outbox a guy like Paul. Paul hangs in there and keeps punching, but loses.

I didn't know enough about Hilton, Kalule and Drayton to make an informed prediction. But against the people I put him against, Williams goes 4-3, with two KO wins and one KO loss, although there's a few fights in there that could easily swing for or against Paul.

Pretty respectable when you see the kind of guys he is being matched up against.
          Last edited by Suckmedry; 01-18-2010, 04:33 AM.

Comment

At 154...

Wilfred Benitez
            Matthew Hilton
            Julian Jackson
            Ayube Kalule
            Roberto Duran
            Buster Drayton
            John Mugabi
            Thomas Hearns
            Ricardo Mayorga
            Mike McCallum

Benitez
            Duran
            Hearns
            Mccallum
            Jackson
            All beat williams, the rest of them are 50/50 fights

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
              Benitez
              Duran
              Hearns
              Mccallum
              Jackson
              All beat williams, the rest of them are 50/50 fights
              QUOTE: roxy - think he beat Mayorga and maybe Hilton. Hilton was good but was very beatable on a off night.

Interesting.. A few wide margins in opinion already.. Thus far, i'm in agreement with those quoted..

roxy, 21 years old, and you know about the 'Hiltonbillies' impressed!

Comment

Working...
              X