Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could bring back any heavyweight from any era to fight today, who would it be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could bring back any heavyweight from any era to fight today, who would it be?

If you could bring back any heavyweight from any era in boxing history and have them fight in the modern era, who would you be most interested in seeing? I myself would be primarily interested in older fighters, and I would love to see Dempsey/Jeffries fighting today. What about you, fellow boxing fans?

Having Tyson back would obviously be huge for boxing

Comment

Definatly Tyson,Joe Louis and Ali.I will enjoy watching any of these destroy the nowdays pathethick heavyweights

Comment

Liston or Frazier.

Comment

Gypsy Jem Mace. 190lbs of **** the K bro's face,

Comment

Can you imagine the money a prime Ali or Tyson would generate in today's heavyweight division.

I'd laugh my ass off watching Larry Holmes out jab Wladimir, despite Manny Steward's protestations that Wlad has one of the best heavyweight jabs in history.

To be honest, all respect to the Klitschko's in this day and age. They always turn up in shape and never seem to have sloppy performances. Granted, there are boring nights but rarely an 'off form' day.

I've said before that the path to riches has never been easier from a young heavyweight boxer's perspective. I can't fathom why America hasn't produced a superb young heavyweight talent for so long.....

Critics seem to say that in America the most promising larger athletes are being pushed into football and basketball. However, if that is the case surely the talent pool is being very much diluted and the chances for financial/athletic success less likely. The heavyweight championship of the world is a huge cash cow and a very exploitable niche right now, the Klitschkos' wont be around for too much longer.

Comment

Jack Johnson just too see how he would adapt to the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Jack Johnson just too see how he would adapt to the current climate.
                Yea! He'd get a fair ticking off for holding and talking by refs and he'd need to up his pace to suit the 12 round distance.

I think a modern conditioner would probably have him weighing a little more than he did back then. But with his natural talent a 224Lb motivated Johnson would be a nasty matchup for the modern heavyweight.

He'd be a colourful character too, easily one of the most famous people on earth these days, probably loved and hated in equal measure!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                  However, if that is the case surely the talent pool is being very much diluted and the chances for financial/athletic success less likely.
                  Not really.....In football, basketball, and baseball you can make a cool million a year sitting on the bench. There are quite literally guys out there who rarely play who make a million a year for doing very little aside from warming a bench.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    Yea! He'd get a fair ticking off for holding and talking by refs and he'd need to up his pace to suit the 12 round distance.

I think a modern conditioner would probably have him weighing a little more than he did back then. But with his natural talent a 224Lb motivated Johnson would be a nasty matchup for the modern heavyweight.

He'd be a colourful character too, easily one of the most famous people on earth these days, probably loved and hated in equal measure!
                    I agree with what you've said about contemporary rules and handlers shaping him a bit differently, but his knifing was primo. Much better than most ATGs. I honestly think a few feints, a bit of knifing, and some aggressive clinch work wham bam champion. Maybe a bit different from what we've seen, but the talents are there, and how.

Comment

Working...
                    X