No announcement yet.

Steve Collins = Over rated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    I don't score ineffective aggression. Even the judges that gave it to Collins didn't have it wide. Far from a "whitewash".
    the aggression was ineffective at times, but the problem is that Eubank wasn't fighting back, he looked very weak and out of his game in the rematch

I don't score ineffective inactivity

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
      Eubank was undefeated coming into the first fight and Collins clearly out-boxed him. Not to mention he dominated him in the second.

A fight with Benn offered him a huge payday and it was the biggest fight in the division, at the time, other than Jones (who Benn couldn't get a fight with).

He never ducked Graham, because Graham was never in any position to fight for the title, while Collins was champion. The only time Graham became relevant in the super middleweight division was when he beat an undefeated Chris Johnson and that was a week after Collins' last fight.

A few years after Collins retired, he was getting ready to have a comeback fight against Calzaghe but fainted while sparring in the gym. The doctors advised him to hang up the gloves for good and he did.
      Spot on mate

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        His style suggested he'd do as good as Vinny Pazienza without getting KOed. And I definitely had Vinny winning some early rounds. Well maybe 1 or 2...

You think Pazienza won rounds against Roy Jones?

Naa. I couldn't give him a share of a round.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          You think Pazienza won rounds against Roy Jones?

Naa. I couldn't give him a share of a round.
          Jones won every minute of every round against Paz. It was as one sided as a fight could be.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyitis View Post
            You & that judge are the only people won thought Eubank won.
            Originally posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
            Hopefully you don't become a professional judge.
            Obviously someone has broken out the sock-puppets :rolleyes9:

Poet

Comment

Collins is underrated really.

Although unslick and lacking a ko punch, he was one hell of a grafter who came up with the goods through sheer determination assisted by an iron will and a chin to match.

Coming up the hard way, a young Collins stabled himself in the Petronelli camp and was fighting in good company before Benn and Eubank had even turned pro. He was in the Ring Magazines top 10 at mw before either of them also.

Mike McCallum described him as 'the toughest man i ever fought' and after back to back decision loses to peak versions of Reggie Johnson & Sambu Kalambay, he didn't quit, he returned home to be counted and fight his way back into contention.

Nothing was ever handed on a plate to Collins. He lived the life of a fighter, fought the best and did pretty well against all of them.

Off the top of my head, i can't think of another Irishman who can claim to be a 'two weight' world champ.

Comment

Working...
              X