Mark Hunt Signed A UFC Deal.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Hunt Signed A UFC Deal.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/19865/mark...at-ufc-119.mma

Former K-1 and PRIDE heavyweight Mark Hunt (5-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) was about to hop on a plane when he spoke today to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). And when asked to explain his sudden move into the UFC's octagon, he had one thing to say.

"Why not?"

The 36-year-old fighter confirmed a four-fight deal with the UFC and a Sept. 25 UFC 119 meeting with Midwest standout Sean McCorkle (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

FiveOuncesofPain.com first reported the Hunt vs. McCorkle fight, which takes place in Indianapolis.

Hunt, who hails from South Auckland, New Zealand, has not fought since May 2009, when former Strikeforce and DREAM champion Gegard Mousasi submitted him in the first round of DREAM's open-weight "Super Hulk" tournament. It was his fifth consecutive loss in MMA.

Despite his recent rough road, Hunt's earlier performances bring nostalgia to hardcore fans who witnessed his tremendous upset victories over Wanderlei Silva and Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in PRIDE's heyday.

The heavyweight also gave fans a jolt at PRIDE Shockwave 2006 when he threatened the once-invincible Fedor Emelianenko with an Americana arm lock before falling prey to the submission hold's cousin, a kimura.

As a kickboxer, Hunt has amassed a 30-13 record and holds notable K-1 victories over Stefan Leko and Jerome Le Banner.

McCorkle, an Indianapolis resident, also makes his UFC debut at UFC 119, which takes place at the 18,000-seat Conseco Fieldhouse. Thus far, he has fought as a super heavyweight with four of his seven victories coming by way of first-round stoppage.

Most recently, McCorkle stopped veteran journeyman Johnathan Ivey by second-round TKO for the Indianapolis-based Legends of Fighting promotion.

Hunt vs. McCorkle will be part of UFC 119's un-aired preliminary card.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    they bringin him in for a CroCop Rematch? cause i dont' think he'll fare any better against the top fighters in the UFC.

terrible signing...

Comment

He's coming off of 5 first round defeats in a row. They must have high hopes for him.

Comment

All those losses were to world class opposition though.

It's not that bad. could be worse.

I think he could win this fight. Their's a shot.

Comment

I know a guy who took McCorkle to a split decision.

I think this is a non-story other than Hunt's name is already established. He'll be fed to some up-and-comers with blown-up records to see if they're legit.

Comment

he used to be good in 2001..not sure how good he is now.

Comment

Can Mark get below 265lbs?

Comment

Dude has lost his last 5. Why would they waste their time?

Comment

Originally posted by ƒallenloki View Post
                  terrible signing...
                  So I guess Hunt is better than Fedor, Rogers, Reem, Werdum according to Dana?

Comment

better signing than kimbo. lol

im with Mark Hunt... "why not"

Comment

Working...
                    X