Sugar Ray Robinsons greatest performance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Ray Robinsons greatest performance

What do you guys think?

The way he absolutely wiped the floor with la motta in their last fight was incredible, thats probably the most dominant ive seen him on tape

The KO of Gene Fullmer is what always sticks out in my mind..
    No one would'a seen it coming.. Speed/Power/Precision.... Personified..

Comment

true that.....

Comment

actually lamotta was ahead the first 10 rounds of that fight,
        the judges had lamotta ahead, so it wasnt that dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by TredKiller View Post
          actually lamotta was ahead the first 10 rounds of that fight,
          the judges had lamotta ahead, so it wasnt that dominate.
          really....seemed to me like sugar was outboxing him for most of the fight

but the way he just opened up and statrted pulverizing jake was amazing

Comment

LaMotta outworked Robinson in some of the early rounds but Robinson always seemed to be in control to me. He let LaMotta punch himself out a little and then unleashed everything on Jake in the last couple of rounds. Very impressive performance.

I'm in the process of acquiring every Robinson fight available. He looks near perfect in some of his lesser known filmed fights but his opposition isn't good enough for me to rate those fights among his greatest performances.

Knocking out great middleweight contender Robert Villemain was impressive. So were his European fights, but the competition wasn't that good. He looks highly impressive in the welterweight fights that I've seen of him but most of them aren't complete.

LaMotta VI, Fullmer II, Graziano, Turpin II, the last two Olson fights should be seen by everyone. The Joey Maxim fight was surely on its way to becoming the best ever Robinson performance, since he had outpointed the light heavyweight champion in nearly every round, if not for the ending.

The third Fullmer fight is among his best performances considering he was 40 years of age and outboxed the recognized middleweight champion, despite not getting the decision which was called a draw.

The two Basilio fights were wars but Robinson had very obviously diminished as a fighter by then. Those are perhaps his most entertaining, back-and-forth fights though.

I would advise people to stay away from the two Pender fights, which were boring and controversial, except for scoring purposes. I was surprised that Pender was given the decision in those.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-04-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X