Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emanuel Steward Interview: "Thomas Hearns Hurts Floyd Mayweather"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather could not deal with DLH's jab when he used it. Tommy Hearns probably had the fastest/sharpest jab of any fighter. Probably on a par with Larry Holmes.

Corrales is a tall fighter, but he is not a true Boxer. A lot of the time he would give up his height to be aggressive. He did not use the jab at all against Mayweather, and at the end of the day Corrales was just not on Hearns level.

Hearns would claim centre ring and peck away at Floyd throwing the occasional right hand. Hearns would just dictate the fight imo.

Comment

Manny also said that Cintron beats Mayweather back when he was still training him. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by mitruth View Post
        Manny also said that Cintron beats Mayweather back when he was still training him. Just saying.
        Andy Lee> Pavlik

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
          I dont follow popular opinion. I believe Mayweather would give Leonard lots of problems. Leonard was an offensive fighter when all said and done. He liked to get in his rhythm and mix it majority of time, and i believe he would pay for that against Mayweather.

Hearns/Whitaker i see beating him, because Whitaker would make him fight an aggressive fight that he does not want to fight, and Hearns reach/power would be too much for Floyd imo. Whilst i think Mayweather is probably more versatile than Whitaker. Head to head Whitaker gives him nightmares imo. I think Whitaker WOULD beat him clearly, and Hearns would probably win clearly too.

Pryor/Leonard would be the most interesting though.
          i disagree but i respect this post. thank you for giving insight, rather than just he would kill him and yada yada yada. pernell and hearns would be huge competiton for floyd, no doubt about it, and could beat him, but the thing that floyd has over them imo is how he can adapt to to his opponent's tempo, and offset their rhythm doing something different with his tempo. this is why i see him beating whitaker. imo, whitaker being southpaw, and having a decent jab could give floyd problems, no doubt about it, but the punch that floyd landed a lot against fighter he fought that were southpaw was a straight right hand to the body and whitaker has great flexibility but did get to hit in the body many times and floyd's accuracy comes to fold when he finds something that works. the way he feints when he throws punches or fakes you out, he is much quicker than whitaker, and i say quicker because i feel he was more athletic, his quick snapping punch to the body would give pernell fits all night, because pernell had great upperbody movement, but may times he dodged punches he stood still and then moved a little but. floyd's footwork and body positioning offensively was one of his strongest traits and pernell's weakest defensive things to avoid. pernell had trouble with guys who had great timing, like a de la hoya and even roger mayweather at times. floyd obviously had tremendous timing and his versatility was something that made him that much harder to deal with. floyd's right hand to the midsection of the stomach would land imo against pernell and so would his leaping left hook upstairs. the thing that pernell didn't do defensively better than floyd was block punches, and i'm not talking about just the shoulder roll, floyd could block his body better than pernell could, and he could counter off of the block whether on the ropes or fighting in the pocket, which he could do against pernell, because imo floyd hit harder than sweet pea. these are the things that would get floyd the clear win over pernell. when floyd fights aggressive, he fights with smart aggression and he could go toe to toe with pernell, because like i mantioned earlier, he hit harder and and blocked better and countered off of the block much better than pea did. floyd's athleticism combined with his ability to be very accurate and thing better even while fighting aggresively is also something that could endanger pea because floyd was a sharp shooter, not a wild puncher, and his fluidity with his punches make them that much more accurate. when floyd gets aggressive he could hurt you, i don't see him ko'ing pea, but i could see him landing a punch that pea has never had landed on him, because he has never faced a sharp, accurate, smart puncher like floyd jr, never has, and the same for floyd, but all of those things i already mention would get floyd the win imo, his ability to use his opponent's tempo against them is his bread and butter on top of all of the other skills that make him a complete fighter imo and the victor over pea.

i'll explain tommy hearns later on...

Comment

Working...
          X