Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing as a Sport: Abril/Rios Fighting Style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy for fans to complain about styles when we are not the ones getting punches in the face for a living, it is so easy for us to Tell Fighters HOW THEY SHOULD FIGHT...when again we are not the ones getting hit

I respect all styles, I am a much bigger fan of pure boxers...I think a lot of the complain is from the SIMPLE fans who just watch boxing to see a KO, but when they don't get it all they do is B!TCH AND COMPLAIN

it takes two fighters to make a good fight though, so just as much as people complain about the "CLINCHER" what about the guy that is just allowing himself to be clinched OVER AND OVER and not really making any serious effort to make adjustment and figure out a way around those Clinches

it wasn't until very late in Kirkland vs Molina match that Kirkland finally started to push back and push Molina off of him, when he did that he started to land more...but why did he wait so long to do that?

Rios on the other hand...MADE NO ADJUSTMENTS, it was hilarious to me watching this guy swinging at Abril's Philly Shell stands and not come close to landing anything effective

Too many excuses is being made for certain fighter (ESPECIALLY THESE OVERRATED One-Dimensional Brawlers who can't do anything but throw Power Punches
    Last edited by sicko; 04-16-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
      I enjoy watching a boxing match, but if everyone started doing that i wouldn't keep warching. I like to see adversity in the ring.
      I thought Abril should've showcased his marketability, get a buzz going, after all he was given a PPV opportunity of a lifetime. But standing in the philly shell for 2min straight, in the someplace just catching punches ain't gonna cut it. Especially if your unknown and just ruined a PPV for your promoter. Good luck with that.
      Agree it was Abril moments to shine and showcase his abilities but the only thing he did was make other fighters/promoters think twice before making a fight with him in the future.

I actually think Abril could of had some better success if he let his hand go a lot more....instead he just went into that shell and held for the entire fight.

Originally posted by sicko View Post
      easy for fans to complain about styles when we are not the ones getting punches in the face for a living, it is so easy for us to Tell Fighters HOW THEY SHOULD FIGHT...when again we are not the ones getting hit
      no one is forcing them to take this career path...if they don't want to get punched in the face they shouldn't be boxing LOL

Comment

My answer to the poll is no, that style is not particularly entertaining and a whole sport full of fighters who fought like that would be a sport few watched. That said, the sport isn't full of fighters like that, there are many styles, and Abril did not deserve to have a definitive, life-changing win taken away just because his style isn't the most entertaining and the other fighter is the "money" fighter and the more entertaining fighter. Rios couldn't adjust his game, he simply wasn't good enough to beat Abril, and he likewise doesn't deserve to be rewarded for poor professionalism(the weight beforehand) and poor fighting.

Comment

you know what yes i would because we would have a load of extremely talented and intelligent boxers.

have you ever seen a couple of skillful cubans go up against each other?- i've seen a lot and it is NOT boring or ugly i can tell you that.

the REAL PROBLEM was that ríos could only -attempt- to fight in one really untalented unintelligent way. people like RÍOS are the problem.

becuase Ríos is SO one dimensional, but fairly imposing at it, it becomes necessary to be fairly one dimensional in combating his style.
          think about it, if Ríos changed up a few things it would have been a wholly different fight- he'd have got knocked out for a start.
          basically Ríos just repeatedly went and stood in a range where he was TOTALLY INEFFECTIVE and KEPT DOING IT, for 12 ROUNDS. why? why do that for 12 ROUNDS? jeez.
          idiots like him that spoil the sport because they're ****ing dumb and almost devoid of skill.
          Abril exposed him and for that i thank Abril so exposing what many have said for a long time - Ríos is crap, his only genuine attribute is a bit of power.

Comment

@sicko i could not have said it any better...... Casual fans want the ko, and get pissed off if it does not happen, why would abril slug with a slugger like rios.we honestly saw how over rated rios is, very 1 dimensional had no answer for abril's defense. Now rios may get a shot at jmm? Lmbo ridiculous. Give him maidana let him work his way up to jmm.

Comment

Yep.

It's the other guy's job to get around it.

Comment

I voted Yes, but not because I particularly liked the way Abril fought, but that he had a gameplan, stuck to it and dominated with it. He was able to adapt, change gears and completely neutralize anything Rios tried to do

Rios just came head on. It makes for great ESPN level of fights, but at the world class stage, I like seeing strategy, gameplans, use of the rings, footwork, defense and all that jazz. Rios just couldn't adapt and got that ass tapped.

Comment

I would still watch. Boxing in my eyes is the Chess of all fighting sports & that's what I love about it. A good brawl is alright from time to time, but I like to see the thinking aspect played out. Having said that, I like Rios but I think Abril was right for the most part when he said Rios is effective because everyone gives him what he wants. If you don't fight his fight & stick to a good game plan the fight could be easy. I've picked against Rios in the past when he's fought boxers, but been wrong for that very reason. Abril just simply made Rios do what he's become accustomed to doing, which is forcing the other man to fight his type of fight. Brandon couldn't adjust so as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Comment

Stupid question.

It's like asking "Would you still like basketball if everyone just posted up like Tim Duncan?"

Someone obviously isn't versed in the Art of War.

Comment

Abril style is more fit for the amateurs not professional boxing, He wont get any big money fights like that!!

Comment

Working...
                      X