Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Hunter credits Wladimir Klitschko for drive to make 2012 Olympics

Hunter credits Klitschko for drive to make 2012 Olympics

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...-2012-olympics

Michael Hunter sat in the gloom of his pallor by himself, watching the parade of 2008 Olympic athletes representing the United States walk across his TV screen.

Emotions tore through him when he saw the faces of his U.S. boxing teammates, chief among them being regret. He should have been there in Beijing, China, he thought.

Maybe it’s why the trip to London means more to Hunter, the 2012 U.S. heavyweight on the American boxing team, than possibly anyone else on the squad. Because in 2008, he never got that chance, suffering from a 10-3 points loss to Venezuela’s Jose Payares in the super heavyweight semifinals of the Americas qualifier in Guatemala City, Guatemala.

A two-time national super heavyweight champion, Hunter was pressured to turn pro, although he wanted to give the 2012 London games a chance. Hunter’s team went to Europe and he was a sparring partner for RING heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko in preparation for his fights against Eddie Chambers and David Haye.

It’s the sparring against Klitschko, the 1996 Olympic gold medal winner, that Hunter credits with improving the fighter he was four years ago. After one session, Klitschko pulled Hunter aside and spoke to him about the importance of winning an Olympic gold medal.

Hunter has slimmed down, dropping to heavyweight, which in Olympic boxing is a 201-pound limit. He also comes armed with the seasoning he gained from who he calls the greatest heavyweight sparring partner in the world.

“It’s definitely a confidence booster for me, and I learned a lot sparring against Wladimir,” Hunter said. “I don’t think anyone I face in the Olympics will have too many things that will give me a surprise. My concern is to stay focused and have fun. I was able to hang in there against the best heavyweight in the word, and I had a different attitude.

“What else new can I see? There is no one in the world better than that man. Wladimir and me really clicked. He saw a fire me in similar to himself and one day we were talking and he told me when he got the gold medal, and how his life was never the same. He expressed that to me and how much of a big thing that was. He told me to keep pushing.”

Wladimir is great champion

Wladimir quoted 'Lennox Lewis is my idol, I fight like him' before the David Haye Fight.( I actually read that article on the scene)

David Price said 'Wladimir is my idol, I look up to him'

Anthony Joshua says 'Lennox and Wlad are great role models for super HW'S'

good to see ATG'S inspire people

Comment

Really cool article

And Wladimir is right; winning the gold medal is huge and makes the transition to pro's much easier. It got Ward all home fights in the super six and made Audley a millionaire off endorsements right after he turned pro!

Comment

Wlad is one of the best ambassadors for the sport and HW championship we've ever had. Maybe Americans here don't really care, but there are literally billions of others who might...and he has reached out all over the world as "The Champ."

(I just left a Broner thread that is filled with negativity, but I'm glad he's around because it allows others who are humble like Wlad to stand out more)

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
          Wlad is one of the best ambassadors for the sport and HW championship we've ever had. Maybe Americans here don't really care, but there are literally billions of others who might...and he has reached out all over the world as "The Champ."

(I just left a Broner thread that is filled with negativity, but I'm glad he's around because it allows others who are humble like Wlad to stand out more)
          Great post. Wladimir is a great ambassador to the sport, and boxing have flourished under him in Europe.

Comment

If you don't let the gold medal go to your head when you turn pro then transitioning is easier i.e. Harrison, Povetkin and Solis. More so Solis but Povetkin always looks too heavy for his frame.

Comment

Wladimir is great

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornGirl View Post
                Wladimir is great champion

Wladimir quoted 'Lennox Lewis is my idol, I fight like him' before the David Haye Fight.( I actually read that article on the scene)

David Price said 'Wladimir is my idol, I look up to him'

Anthony Joshua says 'Lennox and Wlad are great role models for super HW'S'

good to see ATG'S inspire people
                I agree. It makes no sense that some people hate Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  I agree. It makes no sense that some people hate Wlad.
                  I doubt anyone hates Vlad, he's a classy dude who represents boxing as well as anyone ever has. I think people hate the HW era he fights in.

As for Hunter, it's a shame he's moved down to HW, now we'll have to wait until he turns pro to see him fight Anthony Joshua.

Comment

Working...
                  X