No announcement yet.

BJ Penn Destroys Sherk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BJ Penn Destroys Sherk

In one of the years most hyped fights, BJ Penn dominated Sean Sherk for 2 rounds, controlling with the jab. The Jabs continued thru round 3. Near the end of the round Penn landed a right hand, left hook that sent Sherk sprawling against the fence. Penn rushed in sensing that Sherk was hurt, and landed a brutal left knee right on the button that dropped Sherk.
    Penn jumped on Sherk and let loose both hands. It appeared that Sherk was out, as the horn sounded ending the round. He was. Referee stopped the fight. Penn is now the Undisputed Lightweight Champion. BJ asked the crowd if they wanted to see him fight GSP again, he got a roar in response.

Penn destroyed Sherk. It's hard to understand exactly what Sherk's gameplan was, since if he banked on giving away the first three rounds then coming on strong with takedowns in the 4th and 5th he had to be betting on a stoppage win. Maybe it all went out the window after he hurt his hand. Penn absolutely tattooed him with the jab throughout, cut him up, then finished the fight brutally.

Comment

That was the best bj penn ive ever seen, great win. I think gsp would still be too much for him though.

Comment

Originally posted by th4l3pr3ch4un View Post
        That was the best bj penn ive ever seen, great win. I think gsp would still be too much for him though.
        Penn's standup is underrated; somehow or another he has managed to actually acquire good skills on the feet (rare among the best submission artists). After his experience in the first fight, GSP will not try and stand with Penn (amazingly enough the Kyokushin karate expert got out-struck), and won't make Sherk's mistake of not pressing the pace with takedowns. But if Penn comes in with good cardio don't be surprised if he wins, it will definitely be a pick-em fight. The difference between GSP and guys like Sherk and Hughes is that I don't think Penn will be able to finish him, so he'll have to win a decision unless he really lucks out like Serra did with the strikes.

Comment

ive scene this comming a long time ago- come mon how many times did i have to say it- if bj came in shape/didnt gas he easily wins!

sherk didnt want to take bj down, u crazy? he would have gotten submitted in seconds!
          his only chance was to stand/bang it out and/or hope bj gassed! neither worked and he got pwned!

Comment

Originally posted by Atnan View Post
            ive scene this comming a long time ago- come mon how many times did i have to say it- if bj came in shape/didnt gas he easily wins!

sherk didnt want to take bj down, u crazy? he would have gotten submitted in seconds!
            his only chance was to stand/bang it out and/or hope bj gassed! neither worked and he got pwned!
            He had no chance on the feet, he's a slightly better version of Hughes in that realm. On the ground he could have dry-humped Penn to a decision, but I have my doubts he would have been able to take Penn down even late in the fight. Regardless he should have tried more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
              Penn destroyed Sherk. It's hard to understand exactly what Sherk's gameplan was, since if he banked on giving away the first three rounds then coming on strong with takedowns in the 4th and 5th he had to be betting on a stoppage win. Maybe it all went out the window after he hurt his hand. Penn absolutely tattooed him with the jab throughout, cut him up, then finished the fight brutally.
              yeah, i agree....dont know what sherks plan was?? penn looked great. did he run over to sherk at the end and wipe blood off his face and then lick his hand?? or was it just me that saw that?

Comment

Originally posted by Atnan View Post

i agree that bj could have def. subbed him on the ground, but after the first two rounds standing and getting beaten........i was surprised as hell that sherk didnt try and lay on top in the gaurd and win some later rounds. i know bj is hard as hell to takedown, but sherk is strong and i think he could have if he continued to try. anyway, glad bj took the win, he probably looked his best yet

Comment

Does anyone find it strange that neither of them tried to seriously take each other down for the three rounds. I saw the fight and the whole time i was thinking..... they are so close to each other but aren't going for the legs at all. I'm thinking they were told to keep it on there feet.

Comment

Would GSP/Penn happen at a catch weight?

Comment

Working...
                    X