Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dos Santos wants to welcome Tyson Fury to MMA, and then rematch him in boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dos Santos wants to welcome Tyson Fury to MMA, and then rematch him in boxing

Junior dos Santos would be more than happy to be the one to welcome heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury to mixed martial arts.

A month after seeing “The Gypsy King” say “we might see Tyson Fury have his MMA debut this year,” “Cigano” — a nickname that means “Gypsy” in Portuguese — told MMA Fighting he’s down to facing the undefeated boxer twice, once in each sport.

“Both. I’d do both,” dos Santos said. “It would be perfect to fight Tyson Fury in MMA, as he wishes, and then, with a win over him, fight him in boxing, in his world. He would come to my world and then I would go to his world. It would be the pinnacle, a great moment for both sports.”

Fury, 29-0-1 in boxing with 20 knockout wins, has already worked on some basic MMA moves in the gym with UFC middleweight Darren Till, and dos Santos, 21-6 in MMA with 15 knockouts, is confidant that he’s not all talk.

“I don’t think he comes (full time) to MMA, but I think he’ll fight once,” dos Santos said. “It would be very interesting. I see the UFC going that direction as well with Zuffa Boxing and Dana White being a huge boxing fan. We saw him meeting Floyd Mayweather again, and that’s extremely beneficial for all of us. It would be a great opportunity for me. I’ve always dreamed with the opportunity of fighting a great boxer. It’s my area, it’s where I feel most comfortable.”

The former UFC heavyweight champion calls the 2016 boxing match between Mayweather and Conor McGregor “positive for both worlds, and I think Tyson Fury agreeing to a MMA fight would be positive again.”

“Tyson Fury is an excellent boxer, has really long arms and move well for a guy his size,” dos Santos said. “I think he can definitely make an interesting fight in MMA.

“I’ve challenged (Anthony) Joshua in the past, and so did (Stipe) Miocic, and he played like he wasn’t listening. They stay in a safer place acting like they are better than MMA fighters, but that’s not the truth. The truth is, we’re more complete fighters and we can give them a hard night, even in their own sport.”

“Cigano” is not the only UFC star looking to trade hands with Fury, though. Miocic, the current UFC king, and heavyweight contender Francis Ngannou have also publicly volunteered to the task.

“Miocic is a good boxer, and now there’s Ngannou talking a bunch of crap, saying he’s the best boxer in the heavyweight division because he was lucky to defeat me,” dos Santos said. “He’s not, and never will be. I’ll prove that soon and shut that little mouth so he stops talking nonsense. He’s a very strong guy, of course, and must be respected. He had a great win over me, but real fighters keep their results. We’ll see what happens soon.”

I suppose JDS will just take him down if it gets too much even though he never does that he obviously has the experience advantage over Fury even at that , also hes a good kicker that might surprise Fury.

Fury will be untouched in boxing
    Last edited by AlexKid; 12-01-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I hope Fury spars with someone that isnt a yes man, a HW MMA with a wrestling base, that doesn't go easy on him in sparring, so he can see objectively where he fits in, because right now he appears to be ultra confident, but I think he should test himself to see what reality is before he may crap on his own name and legacy like many other cross overs did

He doesnt want to do what pudzianowski did and Pudz did really well considering, but at the same time thats wasnt enough to not mess with his amazing legacy/ achievement in strong man.

I suppose if its a cash grab its not so bad if they both go 1,1

That being said if its done properly, and he quits boxing after beating the top guys there 1st, he could make a success of it like cro cop did because Fury is a league above in terms of dominance over competition boxing is alot harder, and he has all the genetic gifts to be a great MMA, but it would be a much slower process
      Last edited by AlexKid; 12-01-2019, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Im not sure if thats negative but how long will it take him to build up a good enough TDD kick and sub defense?

Then how long before its good enough to stop a HW wrestler that took people down his whole life? (cro cop did it but hes a southpaw and also talented)

Semmi Schilt made a good go of it, hes the same dimensions as Fury he would be wise to check him out as he wasnt easy to TD
        Last edited by AlexKid; 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

JDS is a great guy to study for Fury
          Last edited by AlexKid; 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

But tall big men they are some what awkward and unorthodox to take down in the 1st place (high center of gravity but long n heavy) so to then expand on that would be easier to do than with an orthodox body shape because you are gaining an experience advantage by being unorthodox in your style (which suits your body type) even if its plain wrestling,.

Add to that maybe some rarely used but effective innovation that doesn't abandon the tried and tested TDD or weaken it, to compound the unorthodoxy,

e.g using the way a thai boxer uses isometric strength to gain control in the clinch maybe that can be applied to wrestling TDD or BJJ to make it more difficult in general to get taken down/out grappled, that concept can be used in general not just vs someone trying to stand clinch you, Im not sure if thats applicable but you know something along those lines, something that would fcuk with the wrestlers experience advantage.

Weve seen that even unorthodox crappy styles can gain the advantage just because they are not used to them, so if you could make it unorthodox and something strong to boot then you have an asset
            Last edited by AlexKid; 12-01-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Yea lets see what happens never seen this fight before

Comment

Does he really want to risk ruining perfection, he may be the best HW boxer of his era and it looks like he will be, does he really want to risk ruining that considering how many cross overs have failed?

Comment

washed up dos santos lol..

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    Does he really want to risk ruining perfection, he may be the best HW boxer of his era and it looks like he will be, does he really want to risk ruining that considering how many cross overs have failed?
                    Maybe he could train with Semmy then.

Comment

Working...
                    X