No announcement yet.

sam Langford: Where does he rank in the individual weight classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sam Langford: Where does he rank in the individual weight classes

Like Henry Armstrong, Sam Langford is deservedly ranked amongst boxing's elite, not for his dominance at any individual weight, but for his ability to take apart fighters across a spectrum of weights. In Langford's case, if you weighed more than 147 pounds, you were in trouble.

I find it easier to rate Armstrong, since Langford was often facing fighters outweighing him by a substantial margin.

I've had a tendency with Langford to "split the difference" and classify him as a light heavyweight, ranking him alongside the likes of Moore and Charles.

However, at middleweight, Langford was a killer. I've often contemplated ranking him at 160 right up there with Greb, Monzon, and Robinson.

Can anyone describe where they feel he should be ranked in any particular weight class?

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    Like Henry Armstrong, Sam Langford is deservedly ranked amongst boxing's elite, not for his dominance at any individual weight, but for his ability to take apart fighters across a spectrum of weights. In Langford's case, if you weighed more than 147 pounds, you were in trouble.

I find it easier to rate Armstrong, since Langford was often facing fighters outweighing him by a substantial margin.

I've had a tendency with Langford to "split the difference" and classify him as a light heavyweight, ranking him alongside the likes of Moore and Charles.

However, at middleweight, Langford was a killer. I've often contemplated ranking him at 160 right up there with Greb, Monzon, and Robinson.

Can anyone describe where they feel he should be ranked in any particular weight class?
    This is a pretty tough question,... I'm not convinced that Sam's chin was was A grade, he was very tough, although I should maybe give credit instead to Young Peter Jackson who managed to KO Langford,..... many talk about how hard the WW Hearns hit, well Jackson maybe hit even harder..... Knocked O'Brien out cold too, and a HW or two... both O'Brien and Sam had a size and weight advantage........... So maybe Sam's chin was A grade but he could be knocked out, I personally don't rate him as a HW....... if Fulton could drop him several times,.. then what's a Frazier going to do, or Marciano or Liston, Ali and Louis....... the list is too big. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just don't know enough of the career of Langford at LW, WW, and MW............. It's so hard because Sam was rapidly growing man. He just kept getting chunkier and chunkier. The thing I find scary about Sam as a LW, WW and MW, is THAT REACH !!!!... amazing, basically the same as Darcy's,..... at LW his reach must of been FREAKY, and how the hell do LW's deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
      This is a pretty tough question,... I'm not convinced that Sam's chin was was A grade, he was very tough, although I should maybe give credit instead to Young Peter Jackson who managed to KO Langford,..... many talk about how hard the WW Hearns hit, well Jackson maybe hit even harder..... Knocked O'Brien out cold too, and a HW or two... both O'Brien and Sam had a size and weight advantage........... So maybe Sam's chin was A grade but he could be knocked out, I personally don't rate him as a HW....... if Fulton could drop him several times,.. then what's a Frazier going to do, or Marciano or Liston, Ali and Louis....... the list is too big. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just don't know enough of the career of Langford at LW, WW, and MW............. It's so hard because Sam was rapidly growing man. He just kept getting chunkier and chunkier. The thing I find scary about Sam as a LW, WW and MW, is THAT REACH !!!!... amazing, basically the same as Darcy's,..... at LW his reach must of been FREAKY, and how the hell do LW's deal with that.

If nothing else Fulton could could punch. Add in the fact that Sam was nearly 35 with over 200 fights and I think you're being a little hard on Sam. In their first fight Sam was blinded when he had the optic nerve severed in his eye. In his own words it felt like "a thousand needles were being pressed into my skull".

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

If nothing else Fulton could could punch. Add in the fact that Sam was nearly 35 with over 200 fights and I think you're being a little hard on Sam. In their first fight Sam was blinded when he had the optic nerve severed in his eye. In his own words it felt like "a thousand needles were being pressed into my skull".
        I wasn't meaning to be hard on Sam, I was trying to relate to how tough it would be for Sam against the truly big guys, yes Fulton could punch, he was almost as big as the Klitschko's. Sam's eye troubles were very sad, he was a great great fighter, but there are limits to the human body. And I tried to get the fantastic explosions that were actually PUNCHES that Young Peter Jackson. I think Jackson hit so hard he could have knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson...... and there's no need to mention Ray's iron chin. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I wouldn't be a boxing fan if I didn't love this guy, but I still have to be realistic. When Langford fought Fulton, he was way beyond his best, and he was a war weary warhorse by then. I also love the fact that Sam became an expert on speaking Australian slang........ He was noted for throwing in our lingo years after he left us. As an Australian HW Champion he is an adopted son.

Comment

[QUOTE=FenechJeff;11201147]
          Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

[/QUOTE]

A little hyporbole but I don't doubt that he ws injured. And instead of deleting my post debate me like a man if you don't agree. When Pep had over 200 fights he was still effective. Sam was not and to me that shows a difference in skill level.
          I think "hyperbole" a bit harsh, Langford was a real man, and he was fighting to make ends meet. Sam was half blind for the rest of his life when still in his twilight. Great fighter, real cahunas.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
            I wasn't meaning to be hard on Sam, I was trying to relate to how tough it would be for Sam against the truly big guys, yes Fulton could punch, he was almost as big as the Klitschko's. Sam's eye troubles were very sad, he was a great great fighter, but there are limits to the human body. And I tried to get the fantastic explosions that were actually PUNCHES that Young Peter Jackson. I think Jackson hit so hard he could have knocked out Sugar Ray Robinson...... and there's no need to mention Ray's iron chin. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I wouldn't be a boxing fan if I didn't love this guy, but I still have to be realistic. When Langford fought Fulton, he was way beyond his best, and he was a war weary warhorse by then. I also love the fact that Sam became an expert on speaking Australian slang........ He was noted for throwing in our lingo years after he left us. As an Australian HW Champion he is an adopted son.
            Fair enough my man.

Comment

[QUOTE=McGoorty;11201229]
              Originally posted by FenechJeff
              I think "hyperbole" a bit harsh, Langford was a real man, and he was fighting to make ends meet. Sam was half blind for the rest of his life when still in his twilight. Great fighter, real cahunas.
              I wouldnt bother responding to Mr. Fenech anymore. He's persona non grata in this section. Racist agenda's will not be tolerated. Let him complain with the rest of the trolls. No comments on this please.

Comment

Working...
              X