No announcement yet.

Boxers who committed suicide

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers who committed suicide

There have been several fighters who have committed suicide over time. Can some of the members of the board mention stories and myths concerning some of these fighters. I know that allegedly Sonny Liston, Alexis Arguello and Freddie Mills commited suicide. What about Billy Collins and Randy Turpin?

Kid McCoy
    Jock McAvoy
    Eddie Machen (probably)
    Billy Papke

Finnish boxer Tarmo Uusivirta.

McCoy went crazy after his wife committed suicide although it is possible that McCoy himself killed her. He robbed houses and held people captive until being arrested. After serving time he killed himself.

His death note:

"Everything in my possession, I want to go to my dear wife, Sue E. Selby... To all my dear friends... best of luck... sorry I could not endure this world's madness."

McAvoy supposedly killed himself at 63 years of age. Not much is known about the circumstances.

Machen fell out of an apartment window. He had a history of mental illnesses and in the early 60's spent time in a mental hospital after threatening to kill himself. He was always bitter for never being given a shot at the heavyweight title.

Papke shot his wife and then himself when he was 50.

Uusivirta the great Finnish prospect was very bitter at how his professional career ended up, he never lived up to the expectations. At 42 years of age he killed himself.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 07-20-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Not a boxer, but I think a referee did. I forget his name.

Comment

Originally posted by paul750 View Post
        Not a boxer, but I think a referee did. I forget his name.
        Tony Gibson and Richard Green who refereed the Ray Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight.

Also "Fan Man" Miller.

Comment

You ******,you know nothing of Sonny Liston's death outside of a few internet rumors spread by the bully boy posters malone is terrified of.So when you have no knowledge of a subject then you don't ****ing discuss it.Nonetheless joe frazier commited career suicide by finally fighting a big puncher,does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
            You ******,you know nothing of Sonny Liston's death outside of a few internet rumors spread by the bully boy posters malone is terrified of.So when you have no knowledge of a subject then you don't ****ing discuss it.Nonetheless joe frazier commited career suicide by finally fighting a big puncher,does that count?
            Once again proving why you're undoubtedly the worst poster around the Boxing History section.

Comment

After retirement, Turpin invested his earnings in a public house in Llandudno, Wales.. A few years later he was declared bankrupt, & shot himself in the head.. To add to the tragedy, it was immediately after trying to kill his daughter..
              More recently, but coincidently, US boxer, Najai Turpin (no relation) also ended his own life..
              George Francis, the trainer of Frank Bruno was another troubled soul who did the same about 6 years ago..

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Tony Gibson and Richard Green who refereed the Ray Mancini-Duk Koo Kim fight.

Also "Fan Man" Miller.
                Mitch Halpern as well.

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
                  I'd imagine you made a vain attempt the night GF got butt whooped by Young, but I doubt there was enough weight to hang yourself lol...

Comment

Yeah, Mitch Halpern was the referee I was thinking of. Thanks for the other info though.

Comment

Working...
                    X