• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newsletter vol 8 no 7

The Boxing Biographies Newsletter
    Volume 8 – No 7 18 June , 2012
    www.boxingbiographies.com

If you wish to sign up for the newsletters please email the message “NEWS LETTER” robert.snell1@ntlworld.com

The Port Arthur News 13 Feb 1927
    By Robert Edgren

Mike McTigue, knocking out Paul Berlenbach in four rounds, has performed one of the most curious "comebacks" in history. McTigue has been a weird fighter. He always had unlimited cunning, speed enough, and a punch. At one time he was the most dangerous knockout artist in his class. Then he fought Battling Siki for the world's light-heavyweight title, won on points
    without tacking a single risk by boxing with the clumsy and hard hitting Senegalese. Over night Mike McTigue lost all his boldness and became money-yellow. That was it.

The Montana Standard
    18 Nov 1928

By Robert Edgren

Jack Dempsey saw Paolino Uzcudun box 10 rounds with George Godfrey in Los Angeles last winter. It is reported now that Dempsey intends to fight the Spanish woodchopper for Rickard about next June.

As a fight this might be a lot more interesting than any backward sprinting match. Paolino doesn't include one mile backward in his dally road work for any fight, and he'd go ahead, swinging both arms, just as reckless with Dempsey as with any one else. I saw that Godfrey fight. Paolino rushed the big negro headlong for 10 rounds, took plenty and gave plenty, and I thought he deserved the decision — which he didn't get.

The Montana Standard
    30 Dec 1928

Just when everything is "going along lovely" with Tex Rickard somebody throws a brick through his window. Mr. Rickard had Knute Hansen, the elongated Scandinavian, all ribbed up to go through a tournament and be proclaimed world's heavyweight champion, when Mr. Hansen made the mistake of boxing an easy mark in the person of K. O. Christner.

The Morning Herald, Hagerstown, Maryland
    15 Jan 1929

These are bad days .for fight favorites. Right on the heels of the startling upsets that saw Jimmy McLarnin, Tuffy Griffiths and Johnny Risko defeated, respectively, if not respectfully by such secondary ring gents as Ray Miller, James J. Baddock and Jim Maloney, comes the more surprising humiliation of Knute Hansen, the very melancholy Dane, at the hands of Meyer "K. O." Christner at Cleveland, Ohio.

The Boston Globe - 8 Jan 1900

Then He Will Run a Saloon — Earned
    $10O,OOO in the Arena and, Like Sullivan, Spent It on His Friends
    — One of the Best of the World's Boxers — He Obliterated the
    Prejudice Against the Colored
    Pugilist.

George Dixon, the little colored boxer of Boston, who has punched his way to to prize ring glory in many a hard fought battle, will quit the pugilistic profession after a passage-at-arms with Terry McGovern on Tuesday night next in New York.

The Montana Standard
    4 August 1929

By Robert Edgren

Never again," says Tommy Loughran, "Never again am I going to make weight to defend the heavyweight title. Why should I? I couldn't eat or drink a drop of liquid for twenty three hours before weighing in for the Braddock fight — all morning in a Turkish bath — and when I'd weighed in I got into a cab and drank a quart or more of cold beef broth. And water — unlimited — and a big dinner on a friend's yacht before the fight. I must have put on 10 pounds. But you know that kind of putting weight doesn't do anybody any good. I was dead on my feet after 10 rounds."

The Montana Standard 10 June 1934

Talk with a lot of old timers around New York and you'll get as many different opinions of what will happen In the Carnera-Baer fight next Thursday night. Met Johnny Dundee, former featherweight champion and contender in more than 400 ring battles. We were in the subway coming back from the Ross-McLarnin fight. "Say," said Johnny, "this was a nice little fight, but I'm waiting to see Baer when he socks Carnera." "What makes you think Baer will sock Camera?"

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4165...m-1-5-meg?da=y

Good stuff rob

Comment

Working...
    X