No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson vs Carl "The Truth" Williams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
    Name some heavyweights (conteders or above) with worse chins.
    I'm gonna have to roll with Tommy Morrison on this one.

Edit: Bruce Seldon too.
    Last edited by Cardinal Buck; 09-21-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
      Talk about over exaggeration.

His chin wasn't much but one of the worst in history

As for Tyson, he started regressing after the Spinks fight. He let a limited Bruno (briefly) stagger him then blew out Williams but Douglas had the right blueprint & fortitude.

He started believing too much in his punch & forgot the excellent boxing skills that got him to the top. Naseem Hamed did the same thing.
      This is the perfect analysis of what happened to Tyson in the late 80s and to Naz in the late 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
        I'm gonna have to roll with Tommy Morrison on this one.

Edit: Bruce Seldon too.
        Morrison and Willaims were dropped and stopped probably the same amount of times. They both hit the deck twice against each other....but only one of them was knocked down by a jab in that fight. Sure, Morrison was a huge puncher, but his left jab wasn't that good...Williams' chin was that bad.

Comment

Mike in the amateur ranks was much more of a boxer. I was watching the two Tillman fights and it seemed that his strategy in the second was to strictly box and use his jab. The same thing occured with the Bent fight before that. I really thought he had won the Tillman bouts but they were somewhat close. However, everyone knows that Tyson had much more of a professional style. I still believe had he not had some of the misfortunes he had post '90, he'd have been much more successful later in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
            not many heavyweight 'champs' had a worse chin than herbie hyde
            I can't think of any.

Comment

Carl Williams may of had the worst chin among contenders, but there are thousands of heavyweights that were career lossers that had a worse chin. I mean the guys that had a 2-25 record and were stopped 25 times.

Comment

Carl Williams may of had the worst chin among contenders

He did....and I don't discuss tomato cans in a historical perspective. Carl Williams was seen dumped on his ass, wobbled, or KO'd in a majority of his high profile fights.

Basically I am saying that there was nothing particularly impressive about Tyson KOing him, and maybe that is what is bothering certain posters?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  Morrison and Willaims were dropped and stopped probably the same amount of times. They both hit the deck twice against each other....but only one of them was knocked down by a jab in that fight. Sure, Morrison was a huge puncher, but his left jab wasn't that good...Williams' chin was that bad.
                  I'm more going off the image of Morrison sleeping while standing up against Mercer and flopping around against Bent.

Comment

Williams didn't have the greatest chin in the history of man. But, he had the excellent boxing ability that made up for it. He also had good recooperative powers as he almost always got up from his knockdowns and fought back. Many people thought he had beaten Holmes. I also think he got jobbed with the quick stoppage in the Bruno fight.

Comment

Originally posted by lazy View Post
                      Carl Williams may of had the worst chin among contenders, but there are thousands of heavyweights that were career lossers that had a worse chin. I mean the guys that had a 2-25 record and were stopped 25 times.
                      This is what I am talking about. He never mentioned contenders, just said he had one of the worst chins in heavyweight boxing history. I'm saying that's not true. Now it's being bumped to contenders.

Comment

Working...
                      X