No announcement yet.

Hatton will be Mayweather's toughest challenge

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hatton will be Mayweather's toughest challenge

The more I think about it and the more I watch of these two guys, the more I think their styles are perfect foils for one another. Let's examine it a bit closer.......

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Undoubtedly the best boxer in the world today, with speed and finesse to spare. Mayweather has built his reputation on being able to utilize his superior boxing skill, speed and counterpunching ability to frustrate and even embarass his opponets. From seasoned pros like Carlos Hernandez, and Jesus Chavez to gritty tough guys like Jose Luis Castillo and Diego Corrales, and even living the living legend Oscar De La Hoya Mayweather's resume is one of the best in boxing today.

Ricky Hatton

Hatton is a legend in his own right in his home town of Manchester England. Hatton has built his reputation on his tough guy mentality and his "take two to land 1" style of boxing/brawling. From seasoned vets like Tony Pep, and Mikhail Krivalapov to to tough guys like Carlos Maussa and Luis Collazo, and even a legend in his own right Kostya Tszyu. Hatton's resume, while lacking in highly recognizable names, is loaded with some tough competition as well.

Records

Clearly Floyd Mayweather Jr has the better record here than Hatton, with a better list of standout names and solid fighters than Hatton's.

Styles

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a masterful boxer and tactician. Mayweather is mainly a "bob and weave" and counterpunching fighter. He uses his small stature to the highest advantage, utilizing his shoulders and torso to avoid contact while maintaining a high level of head movement and faking. Mayweather's speed is second to only Zab Judah's IMO. His counterpunching ability is pinpoint and thrown with laserlike precision. While his jab and hooks are often thrown multiple times to confuse his opponets.

Ricky Hatton is mainly an inside fighter/brawler with a slight bit of boxing ability thrown in on occasion. Hatton is a big puncher for someone in his weightclass and has built that reputation on having a great strategy of ripping the body with vicious hooks, then focusing upstairs almost immediately. Recently Hatton has employed a clinching gameplan in order to get inside and wear the body down on opponets whom he normally may not be able to get inside on very easily.

Fightplan - Mayweather

Mayweather knows exactly what he must do to keep Hatton at bay. He must linger just outside of Hatton's reach, wait for him to fire and then counter him with his straight right hand. Mayweather may decise to fight off the ropes because he's the best in the sport at doing so, but I don't think that would be a very smart move considering Ricky's body work.

If I were Mayweather I would employ a similar gameplan to the one he used on Carlos Baldomir. Mayweather's punches are not going to be able to hurt Hatton, so he needs to employ the strategy he always employs and that's boxer/counterpuncher. Mayweather's strategy in fights is always flawless, so I can't really pick out much for him to do other than box, box, box.

Fightplan - Hatton

If I were Ricky Hatton I would come out of the corner in the first round with my eyes fixed on Mayweather's arms and shoulders. Floyd likes to avoid contact inside by using his shoulders to "roll" or lean away from incoming punches. If I were Ricky I'd use my decent head movement (which he has shown against Urango) to get inside. Once there I would unload bombs on Mayweather's arms and shoulders, to try to weaken them for later in the fight.

The idea would be to break down Mayweather's arms and shoulders over the course of several rounds, and essentially break his defensive shell. Once that was accomplished, I would target the body relentlessly. Hatton is know to have a serious punch downstairs and Mayweather has shown he is vulnerable to a sustained body attack in his first fight against Jose Luis Castillo.

The idea for Hatton would be to get inside to target the arms and shoulders first, then attack the body. hatton needs to be quick about this because his stamina only holds up for around 10 rounds, so he needs to start making it his type of fight once the bell rings.

Summary

This fight is a classic example of boxer vs brawler at it's highest level. Both fighters are undefeated Champions who are masters of their particular styles. I'm not saying Ricky Hatton can beat Floyd Mayweather Jr, because I'm still betting on Floyd to win. However I beg you all to rethink this fight a little bit and stop writing Hatton off so quickly.

There's no doubt that Mayweather has every advantage possible over Hatton, except for power. But I think some people aren't thinking of how close or tough this fight actually could be if Hatton were to be able to get inside of Mayweather's amazing defense.

I'm still picking the "Pretty Boy" to win a unanimous decision, but there is a possibility Hatton could pull an upset. Anything can happen in boxing, and I just wanted to go on record saying that win, lose or draw, I think Ricky Hatton will no doubt be Mayweather's toughest fight to date.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on anything I have said here, agree or disagree.

Here's a pretty cool user made promo video for the upcoming clash....

Comment

just finished watching collazo/hatton
      and i have to agree, ricky will be non stop
      altho he may lose he will give mayweather a hell of a fight

Comment

Originally posted by ljr06 View Post
        just finished watching collazo/hatton
        and i have to agree, ricky will be non stop
        altho he may lose he will give mayweather a hell of a fight
        That was my point. I hope the Floyd fans don't think I'm picking Hatton to win or KO Mayweather, because I think Ricky will ultimately lose in a very brave attempt to dethrone Floyd. That said I think Hatton will take the fight to Mayweather in a way we've never seen before. I just want people to think about that a bit more, instead of just writing it off as a washout or wipeout.

Comment

this is bad for my man hatton, he good, hes real good, but imo mayweather is too much, mayweather is exceptional.
          peace out.

Comment

Sorry to say I disagree...
            Yes I know Hatton and DLH are 2 different people BUT!! Reason why I disagree is because DLH came weighing in 20 pounds heavier then PBF fight night. DLH was freaking fast!! Faster then Hatton at 140!
            1. I don't see Hatton hurting PBF
            2. No way in hell is Hatton gonna win a U.D
            3. The only way Hatton can win this is by K.O which won't even come close to happening

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano View Post
              Sorry to say I disagree...
              Yes I know Hatton and DLH are 2 different people BUT!! Reason why I disagree is because DLH came weighing in 20 pounds heavier then PBF fight night. DLH was freaking fast!! Faster then Hatton at 140!
              1. I don't see Hatton hurting PBF
              2. No way in hell is Hatton gonna win a U.D
              3. The only way Hatton can win this is by K.O which won't even come close to happening
              De La Hoya was never a notorious power puncher though, 20lbs heavier or not. He destroyed his opponets with his volume of punches, not his power.

I agree with you that Hatton's chances aren't that good, but are you saying that it's impossible for Hatton to pull an upset? I'd peacefully disagree with that because nothing is impossible in this sport, upsets happen all the time.

You don't think Hatton will be Mayweather's toughest competition yet? If not, why and who would you say was Mayweather's toughest opponet thus far. I assume you'll pick Castillo because he gave Floyd a lot of trouble in their first fight, but Hatton now is very similar to how Castillo was then.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                The more I think about it and the more I watch of these two guys, the more I think their styles are perfect foils for one another. Let's examine it a bit closer.......

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Undoubtedly the best boxer in the world today, with speed and finesse to spare. Mayweather has built his reputation on being able to utilize his superior boxing skill, speed and counterpunching ability to frustrate and even embarass his opponets. From seasoned pros like Carlos Hernandez, and Jesus Chavez to gritty tough guys like Jose Luis Castillo and Diego Corrales, and even living the living legend Oscar De La Hoya Mayweather's resume is one of the best in boxing today.

Ricky Hatton

Hatton is a legend in his own right in his home town of Manchester England. Hatton has built his reputation on his tough guy mentality and his "take two to land 1" style of boxing/brawling. From seasoned vets like Tony Pep, and Mikhail Krivalapov to to tough guys like Carlos Maussa and Luis Collazo, and even a legend in his own right Kostya Tszyu. Hatton's resume, while lacking in highly recognizable names, is loaded with some tough competition as well.

Records

Clearly Floyd Mayweather Jr has the better record here than Hatton, with a better list of standout names and solid fighters than Hatton's.

Styles

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a masterful boxer and tactician. Mayweather is mainly a "bob and weave" and counterpunching fighter. He uses his small stature to the highest advantage, utilizing his shoulders and torso to avoid contact while maintaining a high level of head movement and faking. Mayweather's speed is second to only Zab Judah's IMO. His counterpunching ability is pinpoint and thrown with laserlike precision. While his jab and hooks are often thrown multiple times to confuse his opponets.

Ricky Hatton is mainly an inside fighter/brawler with a slight bit of boxing ability thrown in on occasion. Hatton is a big puncher for someone in his weightclass and has built that reputation on having a great strategy of ripping the body with vicious hooks, then focusing upstairs almost immediately. Recently Hatton has employed a clinching gameplan in order to get inside and wear the body down on opponets whom he normally may not be able to get inside on very easily.

Fightplan - Mayweather

Mayweather knows exactly what he must do to keep Hatton at bay. He must linger just outside of Hatton's reach, wait for him to fire and then counter him with his straight right hand. Mayweather may decise to fight off the ropes because he's the best in the sport at doing so, but I don't think that would be a very smart move considering Ricky's body work.

If I were Mayweather I would employ a similar gameplan to the one he used on Carlos Baldomir. Mayweather's punches are not going to be able to hurt Hatton, so he needs to employ the strategy he always employs and that's boxer/counterpuncher. Mayweather's strategy in fights is always flawless, so I can't really pick out much for him to do other than box, box, box.

Fightplan - Hatton

If I were Ricky Hatton I would come out of the corner in the first round with my eyes fixed on Mayweather's arms and shoulders. Floyd likes to avoid contact inside by using his shoulders to "roll" or lean away from incoming punches. If I were Ricky I'd use my decent head movement (which he has shown against Urango) to get inside. Once there I would unload bombs on Mayweather's arms and shoulders, to try to weaken them for later in the fight.

The idea would be to break down Mayweather's arms and shoulders over the course of several rounds, and essentially break his defensive shell. Once that was accomplished, I would target the body relentlessly. Hatton is know to have a serious punch downstairs and Mayweather has shown he is vulnerable to a sustained body attack in his first fight against Jose Luis Castillo.

The idea for Hatton would be to get inside to target the arms and shoulders first, then attack the body. hatton needs to be quick about this because his stamina only holds up for around 10 rounds, so he needs to start making it his type of fight once the bell rings.

Summary

This fight is a classic example of boxer vs brawler at it's highest level. Both fighters are undefeated Champions who are masters of their particular styles. I'm not saying Ricky Hatton can beat Floyd Mayweather Jr, because I'm still betting on Floyd to win. However I beg you all to rethink this fight a little bit and stop writing Hatton off so quickly.

There's no doubt that Mayweather has every advantage possible over Hatton, except for power. But I think some people aren't thinking of how close or tough this fight actually could be if Hatton were to be able to get inside of Mayweather's amazing defense.

I'm still picking the "Pretty Boy" to win a unanimous decision, but there is a possibility Hatton could pull an upset. Anything can happen in boxing, and I just wanted to go on record saying that win, lose or draw, I think Ricky Hatton will no doubt be Mayweather's toughest fight to date.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on anything I have said here, agree or disagree.
                I dont agree on all details, but I agree this should be Mayweather's toughest fight (and of course Hatton's).

Comment

De La Hoya was never a notorious power puncher though, 20lbs heavier or not. He destroyed his opponets with his volume of punches, not his power.

I agree with you that Hatton's chances aren't that good, but are you saying that it's impossible for Hatton to pull an upset? I'd peacefully disagree with that because nothing is impossible in this sport, upsets happen all the time.

You don't think Hatton will be Mayweather's toughest competition yet? If not, why and who would you say was Mayweather's toughest opponet thus far. I assume you'll pick Castillo because he gave Floyd a lot of trouble in their first fight, but Hatton now is very similar to how Castillo was then.
                  BTW you type fast!!

N/E ways you gotta admit those were some serious power punches DLH threw when PBF was against the ropes. DLH had his chance but couldn't land much. He did land some hard shots on Floyd's chin but PBF wasn't even hurt. I just don't see Hatton winning this one. Like I said b4 Hatton would have to K.O PBF in order to win and that isn't gonna happen. I'm not a PBF nuthugger! I just feel that there is no WW besides Paul Williams who can beat him.

Comment

Mayweather's 3 toughest opponents to date are DeMarcus Corley (god knows how that happened, but regardless), Jose Luis Castillo and Jesus Chavez. It is true that Hatton will probably fight a lot like Castillo did...

One thing I disagree with you on Bringer is that you said Floyd is vulnerable to a body attack when he is on the ropes. That was pretty damn easy to see in the first fight, but then again, I have never seen Mayweather look so bad on the ropes, and I've seen all of his fights. In the rematch, Castillo couldn't do nearly what he did on the ropes in their first fight.

Here's something you haven't heard before... I think this fight is one that proves the most underrated part of Floyd Mayweather's abilities, his chin. I would be surprised if Hatton doesn't catch him at least once pretty decently to the head, and I don't think Mayweather is going to be hurt from it, because I have never really seen Mayweather hurt (except for the Corley fight on a brilliant left hook that connect directly on Mayweather's chin). Unless Hatton catches him directly on the chin, I think Mayweather is going to be able to basically shrug anything he throws (at his head) off.

Comment

Working...
                    X