Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Donald Curry be inducted into the IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Donald Curry be inducted into the IBHOF?

Do you think Donald Curry should get inducted into the IBHOF?
    Yes
    81.48%
    No
    18.52%

He's a top 10 Welterweight in the 80s, which had ATGs like Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and a hall of famer like Benitez. p4p I'd have to rate him #5 after those guys. Also competing for the 5 spot:

Simon Brown
    Marlon Starling
    Mark Breland
    Lloyd Honeyghan

I'd say he'd probably make the HOF before any of them.

Comment

It's a tough question because at his best Donald Curry was a great fighter from a technical standpoint but unfortunately his best wasn't very long, in terms of accomplishments probably not even though unifying the welterweight division was quite impressive.

Comment

Personally, if I had a say, Donald Curry would be in the IBHOF.

His resume and list of accomplishments doesn't nearly do his talent justice, but judging in terms of talent (athletic ability, technical prowess, skill-set), he was among the very best I've ever seen. I can't think of many, if any, fighters who were more textbook than Curry. His effectiveness wasn't limited to any one range. The guy could fight from the outside and pick opponents apart, or he could go to work on the inside. The second Starling fight was a truly brilliant in-fighting display. Very tight guard as well. Only faults were durability (which wasn't bad by any stretch), tendency to stay in front of his opponent to long when it was in his best interest to move, and mentality. Shame, because he could have been SO much more.

Yeah, Curry's a HOFer in my book. Might be biased, because I've always been a huge fan.

Comment

Good question & tough to decide...

YES: Because, he cleaned up at Welterweight (pre Honeyghan was unbeaten) & unified the belts.. The KO of 'Milt the Stilt' was something else!
          YES: Because, he had enough resolve to briefly win a title at L/M (WBC, I think)

NO: Because of the nature of his defeats.. Curry quit against Honeyghan & was mentally beaten after the 1st round.. His KO defeats to McCallum & Norris were devastating..
          NO: Because, he was never a dominant force at L/M... I think he lost the title to the mediocre Rene Jaqueut.. I'll edit if I'm wrong..

HOWEVER: Curry was always entertaining to watch, & never in a dull fight.. He had exceptional H/speed & was a slick mover...

For me, it's a YES (just about)

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
            He's a top 10 Welterweight in the 80s, which had ATGs like Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and a hall of famer like Benitez. p4p I'd have to rate him #5 after those guys. Also competing for the 5 spot:

Simon Brown
            Marlon Starling
            Mark Breland
            Lloyd Honeyghan

He beat Starling twice and lost to Honeyghan. Starling beat Breland, Brown and Honeyghan. I think that deserves a possible HOF mantion

Comment

Simon Brown
              Marlon Starling
              Mark Breland
              Lloyd Honeyghan

No way, not even close. He's a long forgotten name.
              In his 1st Big fight he was knocked out cold by a single left hook.
              A flash in the pan? Maybe. A shooting star? Possibly.
              A HOF'r...NO.
              Yes he fought in the Duran, Leonard era. But never fought anyone like that.

Comment

I voted 'no'.

Stacking up his wins against his defeats, I feel that there are several other boxers yet to be inducted who deserve a place more than he does.

Comment

Originally posted by American_Ninja View Post
                  No way, not even close. He's a long forgotten name.
                  In his 1st Big fight he was knocked out cold by a single left hook.
                  A flash in the pan? Maybe. A shooting star? Possibly.
                  A HOF'r...NO.
                  Yes he fought in the Duran, Leonard era. But never fought anyone like that.
                  No way not even close what? Is he or is he not #5 WW in a golden age of Welterweights? How that doesn't get you into the HOF is beyond me.

Comment

No way not even close what? Is he or is he not #5 WW in a golden age of Welterweights? How that doesn't get you into the HOF is beyond me.
                    His talent is worthy of the HOF. Not so much his resume.

Comment

Working...
                    X