No announcement yet.

If Abril hadn't been robbed...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Abril hadn't been robbed...

This guy has been robbed non stop. So if he hadnt been robbed so much do you guys think he would be running 135 or would he be one of those guys who's just avoided and cant get no fights or would it be the same as now? Oh yea and all of this with Broner in the division. I think his problem right now is his promotion company. But if he hadnt been robbed all those times I think it would be a mix of being avoided and promotion company.

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    This guy has been robbed non stop. So if he hadnt been robbed so much do you guys think he would be running 135 or would he be one of those guys who's just avoided and cant get no fights or would it be the same as now? Oh yea and all of this with Broner in the division. I think his problem right now is his promotion company. But if he hadnt been robbed all those times I think it would be a mix of being avoided and promotion company.

it's his style. it's what keeps him from getting the W and what keeps him from becoming popular.

he's not really punishing these guys, and it lends itself to being robbed. he's winning these fights. the man can easily be undefeated. he picked rios apart. used his height, leaned on him, turned the corner, took the steam off of his power. he schooled him. but he didn't beat him up, and they robbed him

if the guy was american and a knockout puncher he'd have a much better shot. his style is probably never going to make him a top draw. even a negative fighter like floyd mayweather is more pleasing on the eyes to the layman, with his picture perfect counters that literally anybody can recognize as spectacular.

abril just flat out beats guys with boxing. he'll never be a star. if he keeps beating these top guy's he'll just get shelved. a boxer like him at the top is bad for business.

abril is the man. i got a chance to speak with him through an interpreter after he got robbed against hank lundy. if you want to PM me i'll go into further detail. it's nothing horribly interesting, i'm not going to discuss my credentials here.

he can also move up. he's got the size. 140 or perhaps even 147. he's not knocking guys out at 135, anyway. if he can take the punches (which i think he can,) then he'll do well at the higher weights.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      it's his style. it's what keeps him from getting the W and what keeps him from becoming popular.

he's not really punishing these guys, and it lends itself to being robbed. he's winning these fights. the man can easily be undefeated. he picked rios apart. used his height, leaned on him, turned the corner, took the steam off of his power. he schooled him. but he didn't beat him up, and they robbed him

if the guy was american and a knockout puncher he'd have a much better shot. his style is probably never going to make him a top draw. even a negative fighter like floyd mayweather is more pleasing on the eyes to the layman, with his picture perfect counters that literally anybody can recognize as spectacular.

abril just flat out beats guys with boxing. he'll never be a star. if he keeps beating these top guy's he'll just get shelved. a boxer like him at the top is bad for business.

abril is the man. i got a chance to speak with him through an interpreter after he got robbed against hank lundy. if you want to PM me i'll go into further detail. it's nothing horribly interesting, i'm not going to discuss my credentials here.

he can also move up. he's got the size. 140 or perhaps even 147. he's not knocking guys out at 135, anyway. if he can take the punches (which i think he can,) then he'll do well at the higher weights.

Good post. I like abril I thought he easily beat rios, but he's just so hard to watch he's too overly defensive not alot of action doesnt throw alot of punches.

Comment

Well maybe he's not punishing these guys cause he either doesn't possess the power to or doesn't know how to punch. Also, not just the Rios fight but he's beaten all these other guys and got robbed, like Lundy who you mentioned. The politics in boxing are sad. A guy like this might have an ugly style but deserves his chance to shine. Rios was the one engaging in half of those clinches due to fatigue anyway. He was given a chance vs Rios nd was robbed blindly of it and no justice was done about it.

Comment

Well maybe he's not punishing these guys cause he either doesn't possess the power to or doesn't know how to punch. Also, not just the Rios fight but he's beaten all these other guys and got robbed, like Lundy who you mentioned. The politics in boxing are sad. A guy like this might have an ugly style but deserves his chance to shine. Rios was the one engaging in half of those clinches due to fatigue anyway. He was given a chance vs Rios nd was robbed blindly of it and no justice was done about it.

the lundy fight was pretty close as well. the issue was an outlying scorecard, which had lundy winning almost every round. abril dropped lundy as well. it was more of a flash knockdown (and frankly, who hasn't dropped lundy,) but it was not a slip. they both looked like very good boxers. abril was controlling things more with his height and lundy was the harder puncher.
          not sure if the entire thing is filmed. i've seen a few rounds on youtube kicking around. it was at a club and the place was dark.

along the lines that one judge was so clearly favoring lundy (and the other two were split and very close,) it can be considered a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
            I never saw his fight with Hunk, so I can't speak about it, but I don't believe he was robbed against Prescott. It was close, but I scored it for Breidis. Then he was robbed against Rios, but I don't know if it really hurt him. After all he has his title and everyone knows he won that fight. So I don't really think he should be in any different spot than he is right now. He's no Campillo.

i have not seen the prescott fight in a while, but it was competitive. again, the argument can be made that abril won that, along with all of his other fights.

a W over rios would have changed abril's life. he doesnt even have a fight scheduled, and nobody is calling him out. at the least he would have likely gotten a rematch at 140 with rios for the biggest payday of his career.

you can bet that arum is intentionally trying to keep abril shelved. even if he's not promoting the guy, his influence extends to commissions, sanctioning bodies, venues, networks, etc. if he wants a guy shelved he can use a ton of leverage with these organizations with the threat of cutting them out of top rank fights.

don king used to sign guys to long term contracts for no reason other than to keep them shelved.

Comment

Lets say, we were in some era where him and his style were marketable somehow. Would he be running his division with the current roster and Broner in it?

Comment

Lets say, we were in some era where him and his style were marketable somehow. Would he be running his division with the current roster and Broner in it?
                i could be wrong, but i think broner would do more over 12 and win a decision. he's fast enough and he's long enough. he's hard puncher. he mixes his offense up nicely.

abril might tag him some with his long arms, but i don't think it would be enough to win the balance of the rounds.

that being said, broner was green, but he had trouble with ponce, who is not a boxer of the size or pedigee of abril, even if he is more experienced and cagey.

Comment

So you think he would be the #2 guy behind Broner?

Thing I noticed with Broner tho vs Escobedo was that he's either in the shell or coming forward and that's when Escobedo got his jabs in. And most of Broners offense came when Escobedo was cornered. Now how often did Rios corner Abril? Abril was pretty good at getting out of it. So how would Abril's jab and ability to get off the ropes fair vs Broner?
                  Id probably pick Broner to win but a lot of people did the same when he was gonna fight Rios (not me tho). And I think weight issue or not, outcome would had been the same.

Anyway, I'm not trying to turn this into an Abril vs Broner thing. Just trying to see how people feel about him.

Comment

It's always a pleasure to read your posts, New England, but this one is particularly insightful. Every word laser-like.

The word "schooled" gets thrown around a lot. But that's exactly the word for what Abril did to Rios. Richard's style is ugly, but he put on an exhibition of boxing skills that was beautiful to watch. Literally a clinic. It was as if Abril was saying, "Okay, right here, he rushed me, this is how you tie someone up." "Here, he threw a wide right, watch how I counter." "This is the proper way to use the 'Philly shell' in close." Textbook stuff. For the unsophisticated fan, boring. For someone who appreciates the science and art of boxing, a master class.

Unfortunately, as you've so accurately stated, Richie's style won't attract enough fans. If he had real KO power he'd be a beast (and would create the necessary excitement). I just hope he starts getting a fair shake.

Comment

Working...
                    X