No announcement yet.

You're Sergio Martinez and Offering a Catchweight to Cotto or Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    There is no need for a catchweight to fight Floyd. The Cotto fight with a catchweight would be for Cotto challenging for the middleweight title.
    Oh, I get it know, thanks. That makes sense.

Comment

157 is fair IMO

Comment

Originally posted by borikua View Post
        Oh, I get it know, thanks. That makes sense.
        You don't remember when Cotto said he'd like to challenge the winner of Chavez/Martinez?? That's obviously why Martinez gave him the option of a catchweight, to accommodate him bro.

Comment

There is no need for a catchweight to fight Floyd. The Cotto fight with a catchweight would be for Cotto challenging for the middleweight title.
          very true... 155-160 is the middleweight division...

Comment

Only Martinez can answer that question because only he knows how he feels at at different weights. I would just be guessing. He and his trainer have been inconsistent about what weight he can go down to. One day he willing to go to 150 for Pacquiao or Mayweather then later he wants to fight Cotto at some weight between 154 and 160. His trainer has said before that he is really a welterweight and way to small for Ward. He looks lean for his middleweight fights and his welterweight days are long gone. If he can't get to 154 and stay strong to fight these smaller men then he should just stay at middleweight and fight Pirog, or Golovkin or Geale.

Comment

154 would be my lowest weight I'd be willing to go. Cotto and Floyd both fight at Jr. Middleweight, and both are (or were) champions, so I think the weight is fair. It also depends on how much Martinez can come down without being seriously affected. It's obvious Martinez will risk the weight to get Mayweather, but will likely make less concessions for Cotto. However, if the fight is at 154, you can forget about the MW belt being on the line.
              Last edited by Juanma9; 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

no more, no less

Comment

You don't remember when Cotto said he'd like to challenge the winner of Chavez/Martinez?? That's obviously why Martinez gave him the option of a catchweight, to accommodate him bro.
                  I do remember Cotto saying that so Martinez has every right to offer Cotto a fight at either the full 160 or a weight between 154 and 160. I really believe Cotto was just talking and would not actually fight Martinez at any weight but I can't prove it. Cotto picks his fights carefully. If he beats Trout then I think Canelo is the fight Cotto will try to get.

Comment

He could always drop to 154 and challenge for Floyd's WBA 154. That'd be a huge fight, but I doubt Mayweather takes the risk. If he's going to offer CW's to Cotto or Mayweather for a shot at his WBC 160 belt, I say he makes a statement by offering 155 or 156.

Comment

I think its irrelevant. Whatever the catchweight is, 154-160, sergio will be walking out to the ring weighing 167-170. Nothing cotto hasnt faced before, im nit sure about mayweather but probably.

If i was sergio, id say 154 just to greaten the chabce of the fight actually happening. If he can make 150 and be healthy, he may need to suggest that for mayweather.

Comment

Working...
                      X